Firefighters find puppies!

dle
Lord of the Board

Re: Firefighters find puppies!

Post by dle »

OKkayak wrote:
vegas1500 wrote:Who lets puppies wander 1/2km from there home without supervision especially during a time when fires are a threat. She either doesn’t care about them or their not hers. She doesn’t deserve them....probably running a puppy mill.

They're working dogs, not couch dogs.:
the puppies are guardian dog puppies. A Guardian dog is a type of pastoral dog bred for the purpose of protecting livestock from predators.

No where does it say the puppies were in any threat or danger of a fire.

Any dog loose on a road at any time like these 5 were are in imminent danger of being hit....that's one threat. Farm roads, unpaved, usually have slower, very limited traffic. A paved road such as this will have much more higher speed traffic. The fire fighters weren't out on a Sunday drive - obviously working on fires in the area, so fires themselves, yeah, that's another threat, and vehicles/traffic related to working those fires, another.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Tinagrace wrote:We just got one of her dogs about 5 weeks ago. As soon as I saw the write up I knew they were our puppy’s brothers/sisters and tried calling her. She’s not running a puppy mill and is a very nice lady. The dogs are very well taken care of but they are farm dogs (not couch dogs). They are such lovable dogs too. Our family now has 2 of her dogs and we’re so glad to have them. You can tell by just looking at them that they’re healthy well taken care of dogs.

Well if she is such a great owner/breeder, why were the dogs outside? We have the worst air quality in the world right now. Vets are telling people with cat and small dogs especially (that would include puppies) to keep them indoors.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

vegas1500 wrote:Who lets puppies wander 1/2km from there home without supervision especially during a time when fires are a threat. She either doesn’t care about them or their not hers. She doesn’t deserve them....probably running a puppy mill.

Not sure puppy mill puppies would look this healthy....but the situation they were found in seems to have been a potentially dangerous one from a getting hit point of view - farm dogs or not. The firefighters absolutely did the right thing and the woman should be thanking her lucky stars they picked them up and that none of the pups got hit....pretty low to be accusing them of theft for crying out loud.
Dcody

Post by Dcody »

These ground crew fire fighters, most likely from a town. On their way from Rollins lake turn off at their camp there heading up Siglet fsr headed to Woodwards up top to the fire above the ranch. They seen those puppies on the perimeter of the property. Lady lives in Tom Davies old property where they were so called saved. Guarentee they called to those pups up the bank and too them figuring they were doing some good deed. All I see is some Ground crew stopping, coaksing and stealing puppies off their home property. It is what it is
Dcody

Post by Dcody »

Closest fire to that property is like 20 miles to get too in a pickup. The only threat was a ground crew thinking they were way out in the Bush when in reality they were no further then a 5 minute walk away from houses
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

dle wrote:
OKkayak wrote:
Any dog loose on a road at any time like these 5 were are in imminent danger of being hit....that's one threat. Farm roads, unpaved, usually have slower, very limited traffic. A paved road such as this will have much more higher speed traffic. The fire fighters weren't out on a Sunday drive - obviously working on fires in the area, so fires themselves, yeah, that's another threat, and vehicles/traffic related to working those fires, another.

First of all, I said “threat or danger of a fire”, I said nothing about them potentially being hit by a car. Second of all, according to the article, they were by the road, not on the road.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Dcody wrote:Closest fire to that property is like 20 miles to get too in a pickup. The only threat was a ground crew thinking they were way out in the Bush when in reality they were no further then a 5 minute walk away from houses

Exactly. I was a little strong with my previous “stolen” comment as I doubt there was I’ll intent.

However I would like to know if the pups have been returned and if not why not.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

oh pure BS The dog owners own over 627 acres of farm land where the dogs were ;;the dogs were only 1500 feet from the house ;;the fire was not anywhere near this place;; the fire fighter should have used a little more common sense and and let the dogs be ;;;
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Hassel99 wrote:

Exactly. I was a little strong with my previous “stolen” comment as I doubt there was I’ll intent.

However I would like to know if the pups have been returned and if not why not.

In my opinion, the firefighters didn’t do any wrong intentionally, their actions were in the right place, maybe they could have spent a bit more time canvassing the area, but no harm done.

As for the pups being returned, I thought I read today that they were, but I can’t seem to find the story on that.

Edit: This is what I found:

B.C. Wildfire says the rescued puppies would be taken to the B.C. SPCA in Vernon today, Aug. 21, and the dogs would have been taken there immediately but the animal shelter was closed over the weekend.

Lang says she plans to pick-up the dogs from the shelter today but doesn't see why they couldn't have been returned directly to her.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Ever owned a dog? So 5 puppies wandering by the road would have a little chat and say "dudes, don't go on that road" and they wouldn't....right...

This story is getting ridiculous and I'm disgusted with anyone who is trying to turn this into some kind of nefarious deed on the part of the firefighters. They did what they believed to be a kindness and are got royally dumped on and accused of doing something awful by the owner and some posters. That owner and anyone else who are being plain assinine about the FF's intentions should be ashamed of themselves. :-X Those guys/women are working in conditions that are horrendous to try and keep our homes/properties safe and they get attacked like this?

Look at the picture? Do they LOOK like a pack of thieves trying to make off with stolen furries?? And post pictures of themselves doing it?? A little common sense would go a long way here.....
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Seems kind of stupid for the owner to respond [publicly] the way she did. Would have been appropriate to say thankyou and acknowledge that the firefighters were obviously acting in good conscience and merely trying to help the animals. Another of those "give your head a shake" moments eh.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

dle wrote:Ever owned a dog? So 5 puppies wandering by the road would have a little chat and say "dudes, don't go on that road" and they wouldn't....right...

I have had several. Including the Akbash's we have on our acreage that are used for the same purpose as the pups in this story and am very well versed how property bound these dogs are :up:
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Dcody wrote:These ground crew fire fighters, most likely from a town. On their way from Rollins lake turn off at their camp there heading up Siglet fsr headed to Woodwards up top to the fire above the ranch. They seen those puppies on the perimeter of the property. Lady lives in Tom Davies old property where they were so called saved. Guarentee they called to those pups up the bank and too them figuring they were doing some good deed. All I see is some Ground crew stopping, coaksing and stealing puppies off their home property. It is what it is

:thumbsdown:
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

If there was some question about ownership, I bet that owner has a dozen or more photos of those pups, so would be no problem showing them to demonstrate ownership. Being fairly close to someone's home, should have been a clue, if they brought the mother to them, or the other way around, it would also be obvious whose dogs they were. I don't think there was a need to remove them with the owner right there as they were picked up. Nice try on the firefighters part (compulsive savers of lives naturally), but they could have worked with the owner and established ownership pretty quickly.
wisdom01

Post by wisdom01 »

Dcody wrote:These ground crew fire fighters, most likely from a town. On their way from Rollins lake turn off at their camp there heading up Siglet fsr headed to Woodwards up top to the fire above the ranch. They seen those puppies on the perimeter of the property. Lady lives in Tom Davies old property where they were so called saved. Guarentee they called to those pups up the bank and too them figuring they were doing some good deed. All I see is some Ground crew stopping, coaksing and stealing puppies off their home property. It is what it is

Very lame thing to say ... the crew was concerned and in the absence of good information you take the safest alternative ... so the dogs were off the property for a day, big deal ... they were safe and well cared for ... give the crew a break, they did what they thought was best ...

Return to “North Okanagan”