Smoke map

Drip_Torch
Guru

Re: Smoke map

Post by Drip_Torch »

… and this how things look from above today. Thinning out, might even see that orange ball in the sky from the valley bottoms this afternoon.

smokanagan.jpg

Pulling back a bit I see land.

smokanagan-2.jpg
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Omg I see stars... And the moon!
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yup, half moon, fully red, but it's there!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Cities with the worst air quality health index readings this year (remember that Kamloops at 49 and Williams Lake at 30 were the worst last year):

scale is 0 to 10+:

1) Prince George = 48 (set on Friday)
2) Williams Lake = 40 (set on Friday)
3) Vanderhood = 32 (set on Thursday)
4) Grand Forks = 27 (set on Sunday)
5) Castlegar = 26 (set on Sunday)
6) Kelowna = 25 (set on Sunday)
7) Kamloops = 24 (set on Saturday)
8) Lavington = 22 (set on Sunday)
9) Fort St. John = 21 (set on August 10th)
10) Hope = 20.66 (set on Sunday)
11) Quesnel = 20.62 (set on Friday)
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Great stuff DT and Glacier, thanks. :130:

On another note, the smoke seems to be having a real negative affect at the beaches. Took a walk along Skaha this am around 10:30 and noticed perhaps 5 families on the beach and many seniors out with their little "Swiffer" dogs.
Absolutely dead down there this am.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

How come the smoke coming out of Tweedsmuir Park is so dark? EDIT: same goes for the fire down around Lake Chelan.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Glacier wrote:How come the smoke coming out of Tweedsmuir Park is so dark? EDIT: same goes for the fire down around Lake Chelan.

It's out of adjustment and running rich - try dialing back the fuel a little bit. Running the combustion that hot, with that much fuel, is hard on the exhaust system and emits a lot of soot.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Tired of stale northern smoke that's been pumping into the valley? Who isn't?

Well, the good news comes at the expense of bad news. Bye bye stale northern smoke, hello, fresh southern smoke. At least till late tomorrow evening, then it looks like we might briefly be exposed to both.

smoke-22.jpg
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

WOW!!! Burns Lake was so smoky yesterday that the fine particulate matter was at 1695! By contrast, The worst Kamloops or Williams Lake were last year was 600 or so. 1695 means an air quality index rating of 123!
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Looks like Kelowna is about to get a direct hit from the smoke of the Juliet Creek fire
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Nig Creek??? What kind of name is that!??

nigcreek.jpg
- Douglas Murray
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Glacier wrote:WOW!!! Burns Lake was so smoky yesterday that the fine particulate matter was at 1695! By contrast, The worst Kamloops or Williams Lake were last year was 600 or so. 1695 means an air quality index rating of 123!

Any chance you can pull a number from today for Quesnel? That doesn't look good, and it appears Tsayta's mystery column from last night, is giving a little something extra to the Tweedsmuir train.

ETA:
abcdefg.jpg

tsayta wrote:Looks like Kelowna is about to get a direct hit from the smoke of the Juliet Creek fire

Regrettably, sunset has been cancelled until further notice.
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Aug 22nd, 2018, 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Interesting pattern to the smoke northeast of Prince George as it sinks into the Rocky Mountain Trench, and over the Rockies toward the Peace.

aug22b.jpg

Quesnel is only at 237. It seems the smoke is flowing over top of Quesnel, and not so much stuck on the ground.
- Douglas Murray
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Things are sure looking lively on Goes West as this trough and associated cold front start their thing.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Altitude here 3500' winds picking up fierce. Okanagan Mountain
WW

Return to “Fire Watch 2018”