Residential development at McMechan called Highlands

Alice in Vernon

Residential development at McMechan called Highlands

Post by Alice in Vernon »

Found something in our mailbox that says "Is this proposed development going to have a huge negative impact on our East Hill Community?" In a word "Yes". IMO
There is a Public Information Meeting on Aug.29/18 followed by a Public Hearing 5:30 p.m., Council Chambers, City Hall on Sept.4/18. I hope that the powers that be actually listen to the residents this time; not just have a meeting to placate us.
I certainly am not happy about increased traffic on 39th Ave. or 43rd Ave. We already experience a lot of traffic.
Heads up East Hill residents!!
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Residential development at McMechan called Highlands

Post by OKkayak »

Cities grow, this is fact. They grew, and residents complained when your house was built, and will continue to grow. 39th and 43rd are main west to east arteries, an increase in traffic should be expected and planned for by people who choose to live there.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Who will pay for the added infrastructure? Added lanes on existing roads. Traffic lights. Increasing capacity at the sewage treatment plant. Larger water and sewer lines. I somehow think the existing taxpayers will get the bill and developers will walk away with huge profits.
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

For multiunit developments, the city charges the developer about $27,000 per unit, from what I found on the city of Vernon web site. So no, developers don't get to walk away without paying for the services. Different types of developments have a basic charge rate. From what I remember, multiunit developments are charged the most.
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

Looked it up. Here is the link: https://www.vernon.ca/sites/default/fil ... le_web.pdf

For single detached developments in the core area, the city charges up to $16,000 per unit (depending on size). With other fees it comes to about $22,000.

For single detached developments outside of the core area, the city charges up to $21,000 per unit (depending on size). With other fees it comes to about $27,000.

.. at least that is how I read it.....
Alice in Vernon

OKkayak wrote:Cities grow, this is fact. They grew, and residents complained when your house was built, and will continue to grow. 39th and 43rd are main west to east arteries, an increase in traffic should be expected and planned for by people who choose to live there.

You sound like a realtor.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Alice in Vernon wrote:

Really? Sounds like pretty sound logic and common sense to me.
Alan Johnson

Post by Alan Johnson »

Alice in Vernon wrote:
OKkayak wrote:Cities grow, this is fact. They grew, and residents complained when your house was built, and will continue to grow. 39th and 43rd are main west to east arteries, an increase in traffic should be expected and planned for by people who choose to live there.

*bleep*. No the truth is there are FEWER peope every year, right? IQ on par with Hussein Kenya born Barry Soetero [78]
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Alice in Vernon wrote:

Hilarious, crying about the city not listening while shoving her fingers in her ears shouting lalala I can’t hear you.

Ironic hypocrisy alert.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Alice in Vernon wrote:

You sound like a NIMBY.
You and 71 others Like this post
Alice in Vernon

I am a NIMBY and proud of it.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Alice in Vernon wrote:I am a NIMBY and proud of it.

*removed*

Its housing, we need more of it. *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 22nd, 2018, 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Making it personal
Alice in Vernon

Disappointed to hear that wanting to know and caring about what goes on in your neighbourhood is a bad thing, it would be nice to see more people getting involved but, most are beaten down and afraid to express an opinion online. :kick:
BTW, the housing we need in this city is low income housing.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Alice in Vernon wrote:Disappointed to hear that wanting to know and caring about what goes on in your neighbourhood is a bad thing

Like the people who lived in the neighbourhood that went through the same thing when they built your neighbourhood?
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

bob vernon wrote:Who will pay for the added infrastructure? Added lanes on existing roads. Traffic lights. Increasing capacity at the sewage treatment plant. Larger water and sewer lines. I somehow think the existing taxpayers will get the bill and developers will walk away with huge profits.

so what exactly does your complaint have to do with a small development at the top of 39 and 43 ave have to do with what your complaining about?

Return to “North Okanagan”