Step right up and let your name stand.

southy
Lord of the Board

Step right up and let your name stand.

Post by southy »

Finally we have a new candidate for council:

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#231272

Interesting individual, educated, mature, community minded, has her focus in some of the right areas. Perhaps this is what we need to move us forward and out of the dysfunction we've been experiencing for the past 4 years.

I'm sure there will be more coming forward in the near future.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: Step right up and let your name stand.

Post by XT225 »

Is she going to run for councillor or Mayor? The article does not specify which. Hopefully, its councillor FIRST; then perhaps mayor later on after having gained some experience. I would not vote for anyone for mayor who has not yet served at least one term on a city council, somewhere (take note, Jason C.).
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

According to the Western it is councillor. That article has the quotes of “hard-hitting champion of social justice”. Hopefully not an SJW as we have too many of those idiots in the world.

https://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/ne ... tatus-quo/
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

And then there were two … but ahh .. not to sure about Mr. Cox (yet). https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story--21-.htm Let us hear him speak about all those consultations with the business sector.

So here we are August 21st .. I suspect others will come forward soon. Still believe Sentes and Vass will show up but not sure whether it will be a run for Councillor or Mayor. Vass could shake things up in a positive way. Sentes … nahh don't think so.

Lets get ready to sit back with a cold one and watch the movie .. could be very entertaining.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

JagXKR wrote:According to the Western it is councillor. That article has the quotes of “hard-hitting champion of social justice”. Hopefully not an SJW as we have too many of those idiots in the world.

Lol, that is what she is SJW.....Sentes retires and we get a clone to take her place.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

twobits wrote:
JagXKR wrote:According to the Western it is councillor. That article has the quotes of “hard-hitting champion of social justice”. Hopefully not an SJW as we have too many of those idiots in the world.

Lol, that is what she is SJW.....Sentes retires and we get a clone to take her place.

I wouldn't be too quick to count out Sentes. With her record of &^%$#@! (censored by poster) she could easily toss her name in the hat for Mayor. Heaven help us though, if she ever won.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Cox to run for mayor! Jak to run for mayor! Hummm??? … all I have to say about that! (for now)

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#234703
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Cox to run for mayor! Jak to run for mayor! Hummm??? … all I have to say about that! (for now)

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#234703

No chance that I would vote for Cox for Mayor, without him first having done a term as councillor. Just another person tossing their hat into the ring, hoping to bypass the steps that most would do if eventually wanting to move up the political ladder. Look what happened South of the border when a TV host without any experience ran for President (and won; now look at what their country is stuck with; good grief). Jak will be pleased; another one who may steal some votes and allow him to slip back in. (as I plug my nose).
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

After reading the updated story on Cox I think he and Mayor Jak could do a little head butting on some of the issues. Cox who was in favor of the Skaha Lake development basically takes a shot at mayor and council for the way they handled it. Interesting move. The more I look back the more I regret the fact that John Vass didn't get in. I would love to see him jump in and straighten both Cox and Jak out with his experience, intelligence and lack of ego compared to the other two.

Here is link to the updated story on Cox: https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#234703
Centurion
Board Meister

Post by Centurion »

southy wrote:After reading the updated story on Cox I think he and Mayor Jak could do a little head butting on some of the issues. Cox who was in favor of the Skaha Lake development basically takes a shot at mayor and council for the way they handled it. Interesting move. The more I look back the more I regret the fact that John Vass didn't get in. I would love to see him jump in and straighten both Cox and Jak out with his experience, intelligence and lack of ego compared to the other two.

Here is link to the updated story on Cox: https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#234703

It didn't take long for the daggers to come out for Cox, the waterslide is a political hot potato. As for Vass, I wouldn't count him out yet.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

A front page story in the H@r@ld today re Cox makes him sound, to me, like a d!ck-tator. He state that "if elected, that the Economic Zones Incentive (tax relief for certain business areas of the city) will be dismantled". That may be fine and dandy but what he should have said is that he will attempt to or bring forth a motion to eliminate it. He is only ONE man and ONE man cannot make decisions for the city/entire council. He can say what he would like to do but not what he WILL do, alone. It takes the entire council to make decisions like that. We need team players on council; not one-man shows. Vass not making a decision it said to run or not until the end of August. A three-way race might be good; Vass likely to easily win that one.
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

Having seen Cox on FB for several years, his posturing, air of self importance and pontificating concern me that he is seeking office for the wrong reasons, ego and power.
One of the signs a while back was when he was going to Toronto for Dragon's Den, was that he did not a fundraiser to get himself there, publicly asked for donations, then posted he was at a restaurant (I think it was the revolving one in CN Tower) and shopping at Banana Republic. The seeking donations to get there then the FB postings seemed incongruous.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Cox has an interesting explanation for not wanting to be a councillor first:
After the event, he told reporters his previous work as president of the local chamber and other roles have largely been about “advocacy and promoting the community.”

“And that is one of the lead roles of being mayor,” he said. “I wouldn’t want to get elected as a councillor and then start doing the job of a mayor and undermine whoever is mayor.”

He's sure not coming across as a team player.

My take: If elected, he will have to spend the first year at least learning what Council can actually do, what they can't, why things are done the way they're done, what's within Council's ability to change, the unintended consequences of what other Councils have done to change things (here and elsewhere), and what it is actually like to be the one of the ones who will be held accountable. IMO, there's no way for anyone who hasn't been thoroughly involved with Council to leapfrog this part of the process.

And even once he wraps his head around all of that, he will have to understand that whether he is elected mayor or not, he cannot unilaterally do what he wants to do without the support of Council. Mayors are leaders, but they are still part of a team.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

dreamon wrote:Having seen Cox on FB for several years, his posturing, air of self importance and pontificating concern me that he is seeking office for the wrong reasons, ego and power.
One of the signs a while back was when he was going to Toronto for Dragon's Den, was that he did not a fundraiser to get himself there, publicly asked for donations, then posted he was at a restaurant (I think it was the revolving one in CN Tower) and shopping at Banana Republic. The seeking donations to get there then the FB postings seemed incongruous.

My personal thoughts are that Cox should be running a soda stand and nothing more.
I do have to give him credit though for wanting to get into a ring and fight way above his weight class. I have to ask what happened to his career in Banking? With two major banks? And if so successful at Banking, why the need to crowd fund a trip to Toronto for a Dragon's den spot?
Is that a clever and resourceful person that would make a good mayor or a brokeass wannabe looking for affirmation? Come to think about it, seems to be a whole lot of parallels to the current Mayor.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
my10cents

Post by my10cents »

My personal thoughts are that Cox should be running a soda stand and nothing more.
I do have to give him credit though for wanting to get into a ring and fight way above his weight class. I have to ask what happened to his career in Banking? With two major banks? And if so successful at Banking, why the need to crowd fund a trip to Toronto for a Dragon's den spot?
Is that a clever and resourceful person that would make a good mayor or a brokeass wannabe looking for affirmation? Come to think about it, seems to be a whole lot of parallels to the current Mayor.

I agree with you twobits :smt045

Return to “Civic Elections 2018”