Auto thefts...

dle
Lord of the Board

Auto thefts...

Post by dle »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/23 ... ures-crook

Police have been contacted, but Edblad says her grandparents were told that crimes like these are low on the priority list.

"The Vernon North Okanagan RCMP has received numerous theft from auto reports throughout the Coldstream area over the past two weeks. These thefts are currently being investigated and the Vernon RCMP has outlined these as priorities. In an area that does not normally see such high property crime, the Vernon RCMP are working to investigate the matters and members have been directed to conduct additional patrols throughout the day and especially during the evening hours," stated Const. Kelly Brett.

So this article is from Vernon but I wonder where auto theft actually falls in the Okanagan valley - low on the priority list, or as a priority?

I wonder which crimes are high on the priority list? Of course, murder would be up there. Do we have so many murders in the Okanagan valley that we don't have time anymore for car theft? Does drug dealing rank higher than auto theft? Are all the cops out solving murders and drug rings etc? Car theft seems pretty "up there" to me so I think we need more cops or figure out what the ones we have are actually doing that is high priority. Curious.
squash junky
Fledgling

Re: Auto thefts...

Post by squash junky »

I was shaking my head reading the article

Castanet wrote:Crime is trending down in the North Okanagan, but theft is still the most commonly reported crime.

Sure....gov't statistics, I don't think I have ever read about crime as much as I have this year. But hey...I guess it wasn't published as much previously right?!

Castanet wrote:"With that being said, we are still finding that 90 per cent of the theft from vehicles are occurring from vehicles that are left unlocked with valuables in them."

I don't get this remark. Open or not it is still a crime.
If the 90%would become 0% then 100% of the vehicles would be damaged due to break-ins as these criminals still need money for drugs

So we have a gov't that throws money in the air, increases our nations federal and provincial debts and we pay more interest and have less and less money available for law enforcement, healthcare, etc.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

dle wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/233616/Camera-captures-crook

Police have been contacted, but Edblad says her grandparents were told that crimes like these are low on the priority list.

"The Vernon North Okanagan RCMP has received numerous theft from auto reports throughout the Coldstream area over the past two weeks. These thefts are currently being investigated and the Vernon RCMP has outlined these as priorities. In an area that does not normally see such high property crime, the Vernon RCMP are working to investigate the matters and members have been directed to conduct additional patrols throughout the day and especially during the evening hours," stated Const. Kelly Brett.

So this article is from Vernon but I wonder where auto theft actually falls in the Okanagan valley - low on the priority list, or as a priority?

I wonder which crimes are high on the priority list? Of course, murder would be up there. Do we have so many murders in the Okanagan valley that we don't have time anymore for car theft? Does drug dealing rank higher than auto theft? Are all the cops out solving murders and drug rings etc? Car theft seems pretty "up there" to me so I think we need more cops or figure out what the ones we have are actually doing that is high priority. Curious.

These are not auto thefts, they are theft from autos, Huge difference.
Are you purposely tiring to mislead what the article says?

Auto theft, Thousands of dollars in car values gone.
Theft from autos, $3 in change stolen.

Low priority is right,
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Hassel99 wrote:These are not auto thefts, they are theft from autos, Huge difference.
Are you purposely tiring to mislead what the article says?

Auto theft, Thousands of dollars in car values gone.
Theft from autos, $3 in change stolen.

Low priority is right,

YES ! right on the money.

Poorly written article (What ? Castanet,, a poorly written article ????), Poor choice of forum subject title.

(Auto thefts.....) what about ? "Thefts FROM Autos".

Most vehicles can't be stolen, even with the ignition lock attacked. I'm sorry I don't have any sympathy for someone who leaves valuables in their vehicle. Some leave wallets, credit cards, even a spare set of keys !!!!!

It's a tin box with about 30% of the exterior "protected" by glass, with latches that are easily defeated.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

this dumb for sure should read "Thefts from autos" and not "Auto thefts"
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

.....and how many of these "thefts from autos" are a result from people leaving their doors unlocked, or keeping valuables in plain sight?

Don't the police continuously warn people to secure their vehicles and keep valuables out of sight?

Low priority for sure.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

This is how kids make a few extra bucks in a tight economy. Blame the NDP
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 21st, 2018, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not start making it personal.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

I was the OP on this thread - yes the title saying "auto thefts" should have read "auto related thefts" as it is referred to in the story. Sorry for any feathers I ruffled but really, if for some unknown reason I was trying to misrepresent the story or twist it in any way, why would I post the link, and excerpts showing exactly what was written in the article? That would kind of defeat my purpose wouldn't it? Does saying "house theft" mean the house was stolen? By the same token, "auto thefts" can mean "theft from autos", correct?

It's a bigger deal of course when the actual car is taken and it gets reported but that's not investigated that I am aware of anymore other than starting a file but for me it should be a "high priority" ranking. The cops might come across a stolen vehicle while investigating some other crime but I guess there really isn't anyway to actively go looking for a stolen vehicle - I mean they can't drive around every street in town looking every time someone's car is stolen.

Sorry to those of you who found it confusing because of my wording.....

Theft of items from autos also ranks right up there for me as serious - not as serious as theft of the auto itself of course, but still costly. If the things that are stolen are expensive laptops, wallets or purses with money, credit cards that are then used, mail with names and addresses can be stolen etc can be used for identity theft, contractors tools that cost a small fortune (they take the whole tool box), snowboards, skis, - they are all certainly worth more than $3 as one poster used as an example! This, I think, is worth investigating, especially as some people do put identifying marks, branded names etc on their things. They also take garage clickers and can then enter the house and rob it.

It does boggle the mind that people would leave such valuables in an unlocked vehicle, but you shouldn't leave anything in a locked one either.

If it is locked, and a window is broken to gain entry, you have to pay for that - insurance comprehensive only covers the windshield, no other windows, so it gets costly - loss of your goods, fixing the damage, insurance rates go up for all of us because of all the claims. So, yeah - it's a big deal to me.....
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

If it is locked, and a window is broken to gain entry, you have to pay for that - insurance comprehensive only covers the windshield, no other windows, so it gets costly - loss of your goods, fixing the damage, insurance rates go up for all of us because of all the claims. So, yeah - it's a big deal to me....

Iam pretty sure that's in correct if your driving down the road and your side or rear window is broken from flying
object or damage by vandalism is all covered on your comprehensive policy
less deductible

Also to note if your a home owner the homeowners insurance covers such damage less deductible
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

dle wrote:
It does boggle the mind that people would leave such valuables in an unlocked vehicle, but you shouldn't leave anything in a locked one either. (Exactly)

If it is locked, and a window is broken to gain entry, you have to pay for that - insurance comprehensive only covers the windshield, no other windows, so it gets costly - loss of your goods, fixing the damage, insurance rates go up for all of us because of all the claims. So, yeah - it's a big deal to me.....

As to other glass being broken that was not true years ago when my rear door window was broken to gain entry ICBC paid for replacement.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Bsuds wrote:
dle wrote:
It does boggle the mind that people would leave such valuables in an unlocked vehicle, but you shouldn't leave anything in a locked one either. (Exactly)

As to other glass being broken that was not true years ago when my rear door window was broken to gain entry ICBC paid for replacement.

Your are 100% correct Bsuds, glass is glass there is no distinction between side window, back window or windshield. Another urban myth. If you have comprehensive coverage you are covered.

Note to dle : No, "Auto Theft" is the theft of an auto. Even "Auto related theft" isn't a good descriptor for "Theft from auto". A good title is hey !!! "Thefts From Auto's".
As the OP, you do know you can edit the subject line ?

I remember years ago staying in Vancouver at a 5 star hotel. When I asked for a parking pass, I was instructed to remove EVERYTHING from the vehicle and leave the exterior of the vehicle unlocked, preferably with a window down, as some vehicles had been left empty as instructed and unlocked but the thieves, so used to having to break in, smashed windows on unlocked vehicles.

Especially in the interior, I know the RCMP put a low priority on thefts from auto's, they only enter the vehicle details on CPIC when a whole vehicle is stolen, they don't have an Auto Theft Section, if you report a fraud under at least $5000, they do nothing, if you report a fake threat of arrest phone call from the "CRA", "they don't investigate that, if your home is broken into, they give you a case number and ask you to send in a list of what's stolen, they don't have a burglary squad, they don't attend vehicle collisions unless there are serious injuries. I guess murders, robberies and drugs are just about all they do. Oh ya and hide looking for distracted driving and the odd speed trap.

I wonder why so many people are breaking the law ?
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

@ Bsuds & my5cents said:

Postby my5cents » Yesterday, 9:18 am

Bsuds wrote:

dle wrote:

Your are 100% correct Bsuds, glass is glass there is no distinction between side window, back window or windshield. Another urban myth. If you have comprehensive coverage you are covered.

Note to dle : No, "Auto Theft" is the theft of an auto. Even "Auto related theft" isn't a good descriptor for "Theft from auto". A good title is hey !!! "Thefts From Auto's".
As the OP, you do know you can edit the subject line ?

I remember years ago staying in Vancouver at a 5 star hotel. When I asked for a parking pass, I was instructed to remove EVERYTHING from the vehicle and leave the exterior of the vehicle unlocked, preferably with a window down, as some vehicles had been left empty as instructed and unlocked but the thieves, so used to having to break in, smashed windows on unlocked vehicles.

Especially in the interior, I know the RCMP put a low priority on thefts from auto's, they only enter the vehicle details on CPIC when a whole vehicle is stolen, they don't have an Auto Theft Section, if you report a fraud under at least $5000, they do nothing, if you report a fake threat of arrest phone call from the "CRA", "they don't investigate that, if your home is broken into, they give you a case number and ask you to send in a list of what's stolen, they don't have a burglary squad, they don't attend vehicle collisions unless there are serious injuries. I guess murders, robberies and drugs are just about all they do. Oh ya and hide looking for distracted driving and the odd speed trap.

I wonder why so many people are breaking the law ?

The glass thing is NOT an "urban myth", or at least wasn't a few years ago. Our SUV, along with 5 others, were broken into in our secured, underground parking. The thief/thieves removed a section of a metal grate to gain access, broke into the vehicles (all the vehicles were locked, AND had security systems by the way - they got past those, apparently by going through the passenger window in all cases, without any of those alarms going off). They also stole a garage door clicker from one vehicle, I suppose with the intent of coming back in again in an easier way. We had all our clickers re-keyed.

All the vehicles broken into were done so by smashing the passenger side window. ICBC told us that our comprehensive did NOT cover those windows. One person was covered by private insurance. We were told that comprehensive only covers windshields. I don't know if that was because it was a break-in, or if flying rocks or whatever are included in that, or if it would have been different if they had smashed back windows, but it did NOT cover our vehicles for break-in through the passenger windows. Did we speak with 2 ICBC agents who didn't know what was covered? Kind of unlikely but could be I suppose. This happened about 5 years ago - maybe that rule has changed, but it was definitely in place then. Our condo insurance also did not cover the window replacements.

When our trailer was broken into and robbed on the same property, condo insurance did cover some of that loss, along with the trailer insurance itself for repairs etc.

And my title seems to be really creating a stir. I knew exactly what I meant by my title so I was not forgetting to edit. By the same principal that "locker thefts" at gyms means theft FROM the lockers and not the locker itself, and many other examples come to mind, we seem to be creating a mountain out of a molehill eh? I included the link for the entire story....that should give people a clue of what I was referring to so that they could figure it out themselves quite easily! :138: I give up!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

dle wrote:The glass thing is NOT an "urban myth", or at least wasn't a few years ago. Our SUV, along with 5 others, were broken into in our secured, underground parking. The thief/thieves removed a section of a metal grate to gain access, broke into the vehicles (all the vehicles were locked, AND had security systems by the way - they got past those, apparently by going through the passenger window in all cases, without any of those alarms going off). They also stole a garage door clicker from one vehicle, I suppose with the intent of coming back in again in an easier way. We had all our clickers re-keyed.

All the vehicles broken into were done so by smashing the passenger side window. ICBC told us that our comprehensive did NOT cover those windows. One person was covered by private insurance. We were told that comprehensive only covers windshields. I don't know if that was because it was a break-in, or if flying rocks or whatever are included in that, or if it would have been different if they had smashed back windows, but it did NOT cover our vehicles for break-in through the passenger windows. Did we speak with 2 ICBC agents who didn't know what was covered? Kind of unlikely but could be I suppose. This happened about 5 years ago - maybe that rule has changed, but it was definitely in place then. Our condo insurance also did not cover the window replacements.

When our trailer was broken into and robbed on the same property, condo insurance did cover some of that loss, along with the trailer insurance itself for repairs etc.

And my title seems to be really creating a stir. I knew exactly what I meant by my title so I was not forgetting to edit. By the same principal that "locker thefts" at gyms means theft FROM the lockers and not the locker itself, and many other examples come to mind, we seem to be creating a mountain out of a molehill eh? I included the link for the entire story....that should give people a clue of what I was referring to so that they could figure it out themselves quite easily! :138: I give up!

Ok, for starters you are completely wrong. Comprehensive covers every window in the vehicle, no matter how it was broken, as long as the insured didn't break it him/herself.

It's that way now and it was that way 30 years ago.

You said an "ICBC agent" told you. I have no idea what an agent is. If you have a claim with ICBC you deal with an ICBC adjuster, they know what is covered, that is what they do.

As for private insurance, not sure what they do or don't cover. I know in Alberta glass coverage is a separate entity and is not as commonly purchased as it is in BC.

The only difference in ICBC coverage regarding windshields is, IF you have $300 deductible comprehensive and you place a windshield claim, your deductible is lessened to $200, ie, rock flips up or whatever. Any other KOL (Kind of Loss) such as vandalism, break-in etc you pay the full $300.

Attached is an excerpt from the ICBC web site and a link to the page -

https://www.icbc.com/autoplan/optional/ ... erage.aspx

And now I'm waiting for your reply, something like "well I don't know, but we were told we weren't covered when we....."

Your quite correct, you don't know.

Don't give up, just get your facts correct.
Attachments
Comprehensive.jpg
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

come on people these ridiculous long copy and paste elaborated posts proving wrong a single poster are simply not necessary

:130: :biggrin:

Return to “North Okanagan”