insinuating all crime is homeless related is a delusion

Because_They_Lie
Banned

insinuating all crime is homeless related is a delusion

Post by Because_They_Lie »

'I knew they were trouble'

"As soon as they came in the store, I knew they were trouble."

A downtown Vernon business owner is short $5,400 after two strangers robbed her inside her own store.

After arriving at her business, Casa Bella Bedding Boutique, shortly after 9 a.m., two people walked in and pretended to be interested in making a purchase.

"There was a couple that was standing across the street, and as soon as I opened, they came in right behind me and said, 'I'm looking for a gift for my mother,'" said Diana Vona.

The man and woman, who she described as "sketchy individuals" then separated, with the man asking Vona for her assistance.

She followed the man upstairs, leaving the woman unattended below.

Normally, when she gets to work, Vona puts her purse in a drawer behind the till, but on Monday she was caught off guard and didn't get a chance to put it away, she said. She ended up leaving it on the floor.

When she and the man returned to the front of the store, the woman was suddenly adamant about leaving and said they would come back later.

"She must have gotten in my wallet," Diana said. "I didn't know what had happened until I got a call from my bank saying, 'are you at work?' and I said 'yes.'"

The bank quickly informed her someone was tapping her credit cards all around town.

"I looked in my purse, and they had stolen my wallet with $5,400 and all my ID with all my credit cards," she said.

This comes as downtown business owners and Vernon residents are demanding change when it comes to the city's street-entrenched population.

"We are trying to stay here and be in business, and we're always getting robbed. This is ridiculous," Vona said. "To say that we don't have a problem is crazy."

Vona had to close her store Monday so that she could cancel all her credit cards and contact the RCMP.

She described the couple as in their forties. The man was about six feet tall with a tattoo on his calf, the woman was about 5-foot-8 with light brown hair and acne scars.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-235102-2-.htm#235102

Two things with regard to this article and incident -

I have made bold the portion of this article that I take issue with, I would like this store owner/operator to provide proof that these two who stole from her were/are HOMELESS.

To me there is a nefarious agenda of labelling anyone in this town who perpetrates any wrong doing or criminal act to be clumped into the HOMELESS POPULATION.

Second, ENOUGH with the TAP! another agenda, first we need to allow all these corporations to "protect" us by providing all sorts of passwords and security information only to have the majority of the population use TAP on their debit and credit cards - utter non sense how people do not realize what is going on, the banks are great, use your tap they don't mind if you lose your card or have it stolen and someone goes around tap tap tap with your money - the bank will reimburse you - what a joke!

Main issue is give me proof that these thieves were homeless - its really starting to be a problem that there appear to be very few criminals in the minds of tax payers that are not homeless - what delusion.

I think this women/store owner only has herself to blame.

Continually assuming the homeless population are responsible for Incidences like this will bring more restrictions and more trouble to the homeless population - because of the spoiled rotten money makers who need to learn to take responsibly for themselves, such as this women who should have put her purse away before unlocking her shop and starting the days business - instead she would like to blame the homeless population for her own lack of responsible action and choice.

Please provide proof that these two thieves are part of the homeless population. (I have neighbors who the entire family are thieves, they are a large family and have homes all over Vernon)
alanjh595
Banned

Re: insinuating all crime is homeless related is a delusion

Post by alanjh595 »

Because_They_Lie wrote:Two things with regard to this article and incident -

I have made bold the portion of this article that I take issue with, I would like this store owner/operator to provide proof that these two who stole from her were/are HOMELESS.
To me there is a nefarious agenda of labelling anyone in this town who perpetrates any wrong doing or criminal act to be clumped into the HOMELESS POPULATION.

There are TWO issues that YOU have with this article, and the appearance of "being homeless", is your lead ?

Second, ENOUGH with the TAP! another agenda, first we need to allow all these corporations to "protect" us by providing all sorts of passwords and security information only to have the majority of the population use TAP on their debit and credit cards - utter non sense how people do not realize what is going on, the banks are great, use your tap they don't mind if you lose your card or have it stolen and someone goes around tap tap tap with your money - the bank will reimburse you - what a joke!

What difference does it make as to why this business owner was carrying that cash? That very well could have been 15 days worth of cash sales. It could also include income from other sources other than that business alone. It could have very easily been that she was going to the bank after a second employee had showed up to relieve her, so that she could go to the bank to make a deposit.

Main issue is give me proof that these thieves were homeless - its really starting to be a problem that there appear to be very few criminals in the minds of tax payers that are not homeless - what delusion.

Why should anyone feel compelled to give you ANY proof whatsoever? How about prove that they weren't? I guess we will all have to wait until they are arrested and the police are able to release that information.

Why?.... because she is running a business, paying for a business licence, rent, hydro, gas, and employee wages ? She is to blame? What next.....blaming the banks for being robbed because they have cash on hand that is attractive to the scourge of the population that don't have any? It's mindsets like yours that are detractors for having and operating a legitimate business.

But incidences like this will bring more restrictions to the homeless population - because of the spoiled rotten money makers.
AND this is a problem? The ones that you call "money makers" are the ones that make downtown a place that others want to visit. Maybe we should just move all of those businesses out of downtown, rezone it "agricultural" and return it back to a giant feedlot that it used to be..
Bring back the LIKE button.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Because_They_Lie wrote:'I knew they were trouble'

A downtown Vernon business owner is short $5,400 after two strangers robbed her inside her own store.

After arriving at her business, Casa Bella Bedding Boutique, shortly after 9 a.m., two people walked in and pretended to be interested in making a purchase.

"There was a couple that was standing across the street, and as soon as I opened, they came in right behind me and said, 'I'm looking for a gift for my mother,'" said Diana Vona.

The man and woman, who she described as "sketchy individuals" then separated, with the man asking Vona for her assistance.

Normally, when she gets to work, Vona puts her purse in a drawer behind the till, but on Monday she was caught off guard and didn't get a chance to put it away, she said. She ended up leaving it on the floor.

When she and the man returned to the front of the store, the woman was suddenly adamant about leaving and said they would come back later.

"She must have gotten in my wallet," Diana said. "I didn't know what had happened until I got a call from my bank saying, 'are you at work?' and I said 'yes.'"

The bank quickly informed her someone was tapping her credit cards all around town.

"I looked in my purse, and they had stolen my wallet with $5,400 and all my ID with all my credit cards," she said.

This comes as downtown business owners and Vernon residents are demanding change when it comes to the city's street-entrenched population.

"We are trying to stay here and be in business, and we're always getting robbed. This is ridiculous," Vona said. "To say that we don't have a problem is crazy."

Vona had to close her store Monday so that she could cancel all her credit cards and contact the RCMP.

She described the couple as in their forties. The man was about six feet tall with a tattoo on his calf, the woman was about 5-foot-8 with light brown hair and acne scars.

*snip*

Nice victim blaming.
crazyjay

Post by crazyjay »

No where in the article does she say they are homeless. Why would any one be using the credit card if there was $5400 also missing.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

crazyjay wrote:No where in the article does she say they are homeless. Why would any one be using the credit card if there was $5400 also missing.

true and Vona does not sound like smart person either
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Because_They_Lie wrote:[

I'm flabbergasted. I think it's because it's obvious you spent more time on your rant than you did reading and comprehending the article.

1) For all of your bolding, you didn't recognize that the word "Homeless" isn't used once in the original article. How the heck do you go on such a rant about blaming homeless people when it's obvious that this wasn't the case? There wasn't even a suggestion or a hint that the theives was homeless.
2) Blaming the victim is just silly. Now THIS is something I'd support you ranting over. Are you one of those people who think that women who dress provocatively are to blame if they're raped? Very similar line of thinking.
3) The tap tangent was a little odd. Are you angry this morning and mad at anything you come across? Your sub-rant here seems to have no point? There was no mention of how it negatively effects you or others, nor was there any sort of a recommendation for change. Was your goal simply to share your dislike for this feature? Others seem to like it and it's easily disabled if they have concerns. I don't see what the big deal is. Perhaps more victim blaming...if she'd have disabled her tap feature it would have saved the banks some money?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Don't start making this personal please. Thank you.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Surprising about this storey is that the owner would go upstairs leaving the main floor vacant for anyone to enter and take whatever they wanted and that a business in todays day and age does not have surveillance camera installed to deter acts of theft.

Not blaming the owner for the theft, but a little common sense goes a long way after thinking that they were "sketchy individuals" leaving the woman alone on the main floor doesn't seem like the best choice.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
PinnaclePete

Post by PinnaclePete »

Cleaning up the homeless in the downtown core WILL clean up a large percentage of the isolated crime downtown.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Post by Because_They_Lie »

TylerM4 wrote:
Because_They_Lie wrote:[

I'm flabbergasted. I think it's because it's obvious you spent more time on your rant than you did reading and comprehending the article.

1) For all of your bolding, you didn't recognize that the word "Homeless" isn't used once in the original article. How the heck do you go on such a rant about blaming homeless people when it's obvious that this wasn't the case? There wasn't even a suggestion or a hint that the theives was homeless.
2) Blaming the victim is just silly. Now THIS is something I'd support you ranting over. Are you one of those people who think that women who dress provocatively are to blame if they're raped? Very similar line of thinking.
3) The tap tangent was a little odd. Are you angry this morning and mad at anything you come across? Your sub-rant here seems to have no point? There was no mention of how it negatively effects you or others, nor was there any sort of a recommendation for change. Was your goal simply to share your dislike for this feature? Others seem to like it and it's easily disabled if they have concerns. I don't see what the big deal is. Perhaps more victim blaming...if she'd have disabled her tap feature it would have saved the banks some money?

Street entrenched means what to you? not a suggestion of homeless...not a hint of homeless...ok.

Not blaming the victim - holding the victim accountable for their lack of discernment and their actions which led to the opportunity to be stolen from - common sense accountability.

The "Tap" is BS in my opinion, it does not make any sense to me what so ever - the banks have received all of our personal information to "protect" us and yet they roll out the "Tap" making our funds available to who so ever should happen to find our card if we misplace or lose it.

The "Tap" allowed for the theft of this business owners money to be spent - having spoken with TD bank - a maximum of $200.00 is covered by the institution if you are the victim of theft through "Tap"

Anyone over the age of 20 should know not to go about your day with $5400 in your wallet, if they don't they will learn the hard way. How hard was it for her to follow protocol of business operations - if its the float, put it in the till before opening up shop - if it's meant to be in the bank - hit the bank before you open shop - otherwise it is available to whom ever when you are busy with operations - be smart - be wise and the percentage of mishaps and thefts such as this will be fewer.

Going upstairs while leaving the store open to customers would never be recommended by a long time business owner.

Personally I think this entire incident and resulting article show a huge problem with our society's ability to be accountable for themselves and use common sense - the non-thinking blow my mind!
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

oh yes she was saying it was "homeless people" cause what did she mean by her "city entrenched population" ?? every city has a population..she just didn't want to come right out say "homeless"...BUT she just "knew they were trouble"...

and it was her purse with $5400 cash in it with cards that have that stupid tap feature that makes you an easy target if your wallet ever gets lost or stolen..and it was HER who left it out in the open and walked away "hoping" to make a sale even though she right off the bat thought that they were trouble and sketchy people...

sorry, but she has lots of blame herself...

totally agree with you Because...
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Because_They_Lie wrote:I'm flabbergasted. I think it's because it's obvious you spent more time on your rant than you did reading and comprehending the article.
As did you, yourself. You continually are re-victimising the victim, thereby supporting the true criminals that took what did not belong to them. The victim did not commit any crime. (She may have made an error in judgement, during a very stressful situation that was not caused by her), nonetheless, she did not commit a criminal offence under the Criminal Code of Canada.

What REAL difference does it make upon this case if the thieves had no address or one that they may have just moved into, or had one that they were just evicted from ? The fact is, they took something that was not theirs, where they live has no bearing on this matter. What does have relevance is the appearance of these criminals. If the victim had used the description of looking like "homeless" that could be very important to the police officers that are looking for them.
Why introduce women's clothing choices into this discussion? Both a rapist and someone that uses a woman's choice of clothing are merely defined by the very thin line of self/impulse control. Either one can cross that line at any time.

OH...again back to blaming the victim and suggesting that any business that has a "tap" capable machine should further cause their business more loss, to protect the banks? That's great! Force more people back into the ages when everyone had to carry cash and make them all potential targets of thieves. Way to go !

Street entrenched means what to you? not a suggestion of homeless...not a hint of homeless...ok.

Not blaming the victim - holding the victim accountable for their lack of discernment and their actions which led to the opportunity to be stolen from - common sense accountability.
Just a fancy way of deflecting, but still saying the same thing.

The "Tap" is BS in my opinion, it does not make any sense to me what so ever - the banks have received all of our personal information to "protect" us and yet they roll out the "Tap" making our funds available to who so ever should happen to find our card if we misplace or lose it.
Look after your "card" better. I have never misplaced or lost a card......ever.

The "Tap" allowed for the theft of this business owners money to be spent - having spoken with TD bank - a maximum of $200.00 is covered by the institution if you are the victim of theft through "Tap"
Each retailer has a different limit for the tap. Some as low as $25, others upto $200. It depends upon products sold, security, and surveillance.

Anyone over the age of 20 should know not to go about your day with $5400 in your wallet, if they don't they will learn the hard way.
They could have just sold a used car, and the amount was abnormal.
How hard was it for her to follow protocol of business operations
It was/is her business, what difference does it make what the protocols make? Maybe she should have left her money in her car?
- if its the float, put it in the till before opening up shop
No business carries a float of that size. $250 is max. for a high cash business. Her's is not a high cash business. Timmy's maybe, they need lots of change.
- if it's meant to be in the bank - hit the bank before you open shop

$4500 in cash is more than the bank machine can handle. She had to open her store, on time, and maybe had to wait for another employee to show up before she made a deposit to her bank. Again, blaming the victim with NO consideration to alternative explanations.
- otherwise it is available to whom ever when you are busy with operations - be smart - be wise and the percentage of mishaps and thefts such as this will be fewer.

Going upstairs while leaving the store open to customers would never be recommended by a long time business owner.
How long was this women in business? How long have you been in a cash business that has given you such insight into operations and policies? Have you learned from personal experiences or just from fear of the possibilities?

Personally I think this entire incident and resulting article show a huge problem with our society's ability to be accountable for themselves and use common sense - the non-thinking blow my mind!
So therefore, anyone that gets robbed is non-thinking? You just haven't been a victim yet, your time will come.
[/quote]
Bring back the LIKE button.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

The quality of people in regards to homeless and those whom are scum bags are of the same nature :130:
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Hassel99 wrote:
Because_They_Lie wrote:'I knew they were trouble'

*snip*

Nice victim blaming.

that's what some on here do best
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

However to the OP's point I wonder what the actual statistics are of the amount of crime done by people with no fixed address? That has to be somewhere as every crime that is solved has that data. Would really make for an interesting election issue.

Return to “North Okanagan”