Step right up and let your name stand.

twobits
Guru
Posts: 7843
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am

Re: Step right up and let your name stand.

Post by twobits »

CTF wrote:Rumours I hear out of City Hall is that Vass. WILL announce he is running for Mayor and Jake Kimberly will announce he is running for council. If these rumors are true this will get more interesting.


Truthfully, as much as I thought Kimberly was one of the poorest Mayors of Penticton, I would vote vote for him as a Councillor as an experienced and reasoned voice.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
User avatar
JagXKR
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3161
Joined: Jun 19th, 2011, 6:25 am

Re: Step right up and let your name stand.

Post by JagXKR »

Well, one more down.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... ning-again

Leaves 3 open seats for sure.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
XT225
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3171
Joined: Jun 2nd, 2009, 4:37 pm

Re: Step right up and let your name stand.

Post by XT225 »

JagXKR wrote:Well, one more down.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... ning-again

Leaves 3 open seats for sure.


Well finally some good news; no loss here with Tarik jumping ship. Been about as useful as a screen door on a submarine for the past term on council. Finally, something that I am sure that twobits will agree with me on.
my10cents
Newbie
Posts: 90
Joined: Jul 3rd, 2014, 12:36 pm

Re: Step right up and let your name stand.

Post by my10cents »

Good news about Sayeed. No comment here on his performance except "what performance?" [icon_lol2.gif]
Anyway, wonder if the future council & mayor will continue with the current council's entitlement to a "Medical Plan"?
Would be an interesting question to put out there with the new candidates. And if they want to continue it, then they should pay for it themselves, not out of the taxpayer's coffer. I believe it was half themselves and half through the city. Does anyone know?
southy
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3243
Joined: Jun 1st, 2010, 4:14 pm

Re: Step right up and let your name stand.

Post by southy »

What about Max … what about Max … is he or isn't he? What about our friend Judy .. is she or isn't she and will she or will she not run for Mayor? Wow … her photo has sure been in a lot of publications lately … what's up with that??? What about Watt? Will he or will he not? I suppose come next week … we will hear about all of those wonderful accomplishments that mayor jak was involved with. You know .. Skaha Lake Park and well … Skaha Lake Park. Is Andre Martin still on council? Haven't heard a peep from him lately .. but then again over four years on council we rarely ever heard a peep from him so why would things change. It is going to be so refreshing when we have this gang gone.
southy
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3243
Joined: Jun 1st, 2010, 4:14 pm

Re: Step right up and let your name stand.

Post by southy »

Add one more …. https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#235708

Some very interesting names folks. Also find it interesting that most of those stepping up are of an older demographic compared to those who ran in the last election. Life and work experience do matter.
southy
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3243
Joined: Jun 1st, 2010, 4:14 pm

Re: Step right up and let your name stand.

Post by southy »

Perhaps the Mods will create a Penticton Election Thread where we can combine everything. I read the following story with some interest and wondering what this Ms. Robin Robertson is really asking. https://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/mu ... -politics/

She has a understanding of what arts and culture mean to her, yet the story really doesn't reflect how she sees how more arts and culture will benefit Penticton. There simply is to much vagueness to what she says. Perhaps others might think differently and post their thoughts. I suppose I am trying to get my head around what Arts and Culture actually mean in general terms and in terms as to how they will enhance the city of Penticton.

Since it is her hope to have candidates attend this forum, then I would like to think the candidates will fully understand what is being asked of them.
twobits
Guru
Posts: 7843
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am

Re: Step right up and let your name stand.

Post by twobits »

southy wrote: I suppose I am trying to get my head around what Arts and Culture actually mean in general terms and in terms as to how they will enhance the city of Penticton.


And what I try to get my head around, is not only the "vague" definitions of Arts and Culture, but if it is so important why is it not a little closer to being self funded by the Patrons that keep telling us we need it.
Sorry, but I got a little jaded by the amount of money thrown away at some mounds of dirt at Gyro Park (that have long ago been removed) and Front Street Frank's penis.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
pentona
Übergod
Posts: 1634
Joined: Feb 21st, 2011, 4:38 pm

Re: Step right up and let your name stand.

Post by pentona »

twobits wrote:And what I try to get my head around, is not only the "vague" definitions of Arts and Culture, but if it is so important why is it not a little closer to being self funded by the Patrons that keep telling us we need it.
Sorry, but I got a little jaded by the amount of money thrown away at some mounds of dirt at Gyro Park (that have long ago been removed) and Front Street Frank's penis.


I have to agree re the artsy folks. They need to raise their own dough to build it (whatever "It" is). City gave them a free lot with stipulation that they must build something on it within a few years. That has long since gone by; city gave extension I believe.

I would normally vote for Kimberly but since he is big into pushing for another arts building, am now not so sure. I would be concerned that he could try to use taxpayers money to build it, if he were elected. We've given enough in my opinion.

I believe that the mounds of dirt were not in Gyro but at Lakawana park. Minor difference.
User avatar
JagXKR
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3161
Joined: Jun 19th, 2011, 6:25 am

Re: Step right up and let your name stand.

Post by JagXKR »

He has made it official. Vass is gunning for top spot.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -for-mayor
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
twobits
Guru
Posts: 7843
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am

Re: Step right up and let your name stand.

Post by twobits »

pentona wrote:
I would normally vote for Kimberly but since he is big into pushing for another arts building, am now not so sure. I would be concerned that he could try to use taxpayers money to build it, if he were elected. We've given enough in my opinion.

I believe that the mounds of dirt were not in Gyro but at Lakawana park. Minor difference.


Thanks For reminding me of both of those points. Another thing people should remember before they buy into an Arts/Culture public champion for taxpayer funding is the success the Pen Mar Theatre debacle unfolded. These "Arts" people, sold an entire City Council on investment in a needed community asset.
Can't even remember how much the City put in but do remember that the projection equipment was sold for 10 cents on the dollar and am pretty sure the theater seats were given away or ended up in the landfill.
That in a nutshell, is the amount of community support for a performing arts venue funded by the taxpayers.

Tongue firmly planted in cheek, more community support would have come for a fundraising campaign to rebuild Slack Alice's. And many would argue the venues historic and cultural significance to the area.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3243
Joined: Jun 1st, 2010, 4:14 pm

Re: Step right up and let your name stand.

Post by southy »

Just glad to see John Vass running. I noticed he has some pretty influential friends from those I saw in the background on the video. Should be no problem for him getting elected.
southy
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3243
Joined: Jun 1st, 2010, 4:14 pm

Re: Step right up and let your name stand.

Post by southy »

Judy … Judy … Judy … so Judy is going to run for council again … and Max too. Now doesn't this announcement make you really really excited. The good news out of all of this is .. Martin is not running again … Tarik Sayeed is not running and Helena Konanz will be gone as well. So after this election if the stars all align and they should Judy will be gone and Max will gone. I should also mention that Campbell Watt has announced his decision to run again as well. Could be a good choice.
Max is going to work at cleaning up the downtown issue and well Judy really hasn't said what she is going to do … yet.

Get out the popcorn .. sit back and let's begin enjoying this movie called a civic election. :130:

Here is link to story on CNT: https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#235920
XT225
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3171
Joined: Jun 2nd, 2009, 4:37 pm

Re: Step right up and let your name stand.

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Judy … Judy … Judy … so Judy is going to run for council again … and Max too. Now doesn't this announcement make you really really excited. The good news out of all of this is .. Martin is not running again … Tarik Sayeed is not running and Helena Konanz will be gone as well. So after this election if the stars all align and they should Judy will be gone and Max will gone. I should also mention that Campbell Watt has announced his decision to run again as well. Could be a good choice.
Max is going to work at cleaning up the downtown issue and well Judy really hasn't said what she is going to do … yet.

Get out the popcorn .. sit back and let's begin enjoying this movie called a civic election. :130:

Here is link to story on CNT: https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#235920


Darn....when I saw the link and the picture of Judge Judy, I had my hopes up for a moment that she was pulling the pin. Guess we can't always be that lucky. Picton fooled the young people once; don't think he will do that again; likely will be out on his ear. Martin? Didn't do much; held up the fence a bit; about all. I suspect the mud will start flying by Cox soon; aimed at Jak and Vass. Vass should win this one hands down though; hopefully anyways. Campbell Watt is one that I might just vote for again; isn't on any high horse ego ride and is easy to talk to and willing to listen.
southy
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3243
Joined: Jun 1st, 2010, 4:14 pm

Re: Step right up and let your name stand.

Post by southy »

Sooo … Katie Robinson wants to take another shot at Council … really? I mean really? Lest we forget. Think Boonstock!

Oh and she isn't starting this campaign off to well either … http://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/arti ... 02713.html

Like I said before folks … get the popcorn and beer out this movie is going to be good!

Return to “Civic Elections 2018”