Where to live

ellenjl

Where to live

Post by ellenjl »

We are two senior moving to Vernon and seek your opinions on the best communities. We are torn between living near Marshall FIeld (as we are active pickleball players) or in East Hill...or somewhere else? Curious about public opinion. Thanking you in advance!
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Where to live

Post by OKkayak »

ellenjl wrote:We are two senior moving to Vernon and seek your opinions on the best communities. We are torn between living near Marshall FIeld (as we are active pickleball players) or in East Hill...or somewhere else? Curious about public opinion. Thanking you in advance!

East Hill is quieter. Marshall Field area is right by the airport, so lots of noise there, plus the traffic. Just a personal preference, by East Hill has character, the South Vernon, Landing area is just bland.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I love the East Hill area, lots of older type character homes, well cared for. No cookie cutter stuff there.

Only complaint would be is that it's hilly. Exciting in winter months. :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Coldstream has some nice places too. One thing to be aware of about Marshall Field area is that it is near the airport and there have been a lot more noise complaints in recent years. East Hill is great but you have to watch for clay issues in some of the
homes in the upper areas. I live in lower East Hill and really like it. Good luck with wherever you decide to settle down!
PocoGirl

Post by PocoGirl »

Is 55 senior? That’s me and on the fence now [icon_lol2.gif] That said, I lived up on Easthill when we moved here in 2006. Lived up on Easthill for several years. 43rd and Crystal Drive. Lovely area with a dog park nearby and close to everything by vehicle. The commute in winter wasn’t good at all and it wasn’t the snow. It was the ice on the hill in winter. Fast forward to present, I live on Okanagan Landing and love it. A previous poster mentioned the planes and airport. I live across from the airport and it’s not a big deal to me. Ok Skydive operates out of here and in the summer months, it’s small planes and I enjoy the skydivers jumping and landing and watching from my patio. The last couple of years there have been more choppers than in the past due to wildfires. Again, not a big deal for me or anyone who comes to visit. I love living here and it’s a 12 minute walk to Kin beach. Or a 30 minute walk to The Outlander or 30 minute walk to Marshall Field. It’s all wonderful for me. And easier commute in the winter :) One other area you may want to look at is by Hillside golf course on 14 Ave by the Vernon Health Unit. I work in the area and know there’s units for sale there. Good luck in your search. I hope you find what you want. I did :)
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

My son and I live on Longacre Drive, over looking Marshall Fields. We love watching the skydivers from the deck. It is easy walking distance to the Pickleball courts. I'm finding traffic getting pretty busy on Okanagan Landing for getting in to town, but it is not too bad (yet!). Longacre is quite peacefull and quiet and the views of the lake and The Rise are very good. This is my second home on Longacre.

I've lived on East Hill and Mission Hill as well. I liked East Hill, but no views... Mission Hill was nice but the area we lived in (about 5 blocks across the highway from the hospital) had quite a bit of petty crime. We had a nice view of the city in Mission Hill.
Alice in Vernon

Post by Alice in Vernon »

Easthill is nice (depending on what part of Easthill) and is traffic busy and going to get busier with the new development called the Highlands. Also, as someone mentioned, it can be dicey in the winter; driving and walking. Parts of Easthill are quieter than other parts so if you are looking at this area, take that into consideration. Also, public transportation access. If you have any mobility issues, I would suggest Okanagan Landing/Longacre.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Pretty well all of Vernon is crap. Lake Country is much nicer
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

^^^^

I spray thee, gmann313.

[icon_lol2.gif]
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I think those homes just behind Walmart may be worth a look because, for seniors, practically everything you need is within walking distance (and on level ground, no hills).

But another (and cheaper) option would be Armstrong. Property prices, and property taxes, there are lower, yet you're only a 20 min drive from Vernon. There is a bus service between the two communities and, if you don't fancy the commute, you can buy practically everything you need in Armstrong itself.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Alice in Vernon

Post by Alice in Vernon »

Merry wrote:I think those homes just behind Walmart may be worth a look because, for seniors, practically everything you need is within walking distance (and on level ground, no hills).

But another (and cheaper) option would be Armstrong. Property prices, and property taxes, there are lower, yet you're only a 20 min drive from Vernon. There is a bus service between the two communities and, if you don't fancy the commute, you can buy practically everything you need in Armstrong itself.

I agree. Great location, new homes, perfect!
You're right about Armstrong; smaller community and it has pretty much anything a senior would need except being close to a hospital.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Yes, agree with you Merry, you're being an Armstrong dweller and all. It was my next choice to Vernon.

Good Farmer's market, folks friendly, easy to get around.

Climate ok too.
:biggrin:

I wonder if the OP is around to appreciate our efforts here? Very quiet, no questions.
Last edited by Catsumi on Sep 5th, 2018, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unknown
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

gman313 wrote:Pretty well all of Vernon is crap. Lake Country is much nicer

Lake Country is just as crappy, sorry to burst your little bubble :up:
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

^^^^ Relax. Gmann313 is submissive, but a bit damp and fragrant.

Knows better than to attack Center of the Universe now.
:biggrin:

Unknown
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Vernon's pretty bad. It continues to deteriorate year-over-year. No jobs, no good shopping, no good restaurants. Everything closes early. Homeless have taken over the downtown and its residents are so backwards that they don't even want a new cultural center. The only good thing about Vernon is Kal Lake.

Return to “North Okanagan”