Bob Schewe for Kelowna Mayor

Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Bob Schewe for Kelowna Mayor

Post by Scrobins94 »

Schewe ready to be mayor

Bob Schewe has been in the trenches, just retiring from the Kelowna city bylaw department.

And he knows how the City of Kelowna works and doesn’t work behind the scenes.

That is why he is running for mayor on Oct. 20, and that is why he has targeted the homeless and street people situation as one of the key issues facing the city.

“People want genuine change,” Schewe says, “and I’m hoping they’ll look at my experience and know that I do know what I’m talking about. I love this community. It’s been great to me. There’s genuine passion there.”

Schewe has lived in the Okanagan for nearly 25 years and spent the last dozen in the Kelowna bylaw department as an enforcement officer. As a result, he is well aware of the homeless and transient situation downtown and other similarly affected areas in Kelowna. He believes the current administration has let it get out of hand.

Schewe comes to the table with answers, too. He says, as an example, Kelowna needs a loitering bylaw like Calgary has. He believes the unfortunate homeless who qualify and are willing to live within the community’s rules should receive assistance but those who are career petty criminals and their way of life are not welcome.

“I’m experienced with boots on the ground, first-hand dealing with these people,” Schewe says. “Anybody who knows anything about addictions or mental health and so on, we’re basically enabling this way of life on the street with some of the current policies. And that’s not right. It’s not really helping anybody. We are all human beings. You’re just prolonging their way of life, and they’re slowly killing themselves. I do know what works and what doesn’t work.”

Schewe says one of the first things he would do as mayor is push for the closure of the Cornerstone Shelter on Leon Avenue. A possible relocation, if proven justified, would be an industrial area well away from commercial businesses or residential areas. Small shelters would also have to scrutinized as to location. However, getting the qualifying homeless placed into housing as soon as possible must remain a social priority.

“We’re understaffed with RCMP per capita,” he says. “The city tries to get by with a minimal amount of staffing. You can’t do that with the RCMP. This is a very busy town.”

Schewe is also running for the affordability, livability as well as safety for all Kelowna citizens. To that end, one of his goals, if elected as mayor, would be to keep property tax increases at or near zero for the first two years. These are issues facing vulnerable, retired seniors and younger families, he says.

As for development and large project expenditures, he wants to see a slowdown in the rush to become a big city—with all the associated costs and big-city problems that come with that. Big expenditures and projects at the planning stage have to be more open to scrutiny by the public, existing property owners and businesses directly affected. “I’m not against development,” he says, “but projects have to be good for all our existing property owners, residents and businesses.”

Schewe says electing him as mayor will bring common sense to city hall and install a leader who will do what is right.

Schewe can be contacted directly with questions at [email protected].

This content was authorized by Bob Schewe, financial agent. 250-300-1137.

https://okanaganedge.net/2018/09/12/sch ... -be-mayor/

I like what I read. The only thing I'm surprised is that he doesn't seem aware that the Cornerstone Shelter is closing early next year?
bjsilent
Board Meister

Re: Bob Schewe for Kelowna Mayor

Post by bjsilent »

Scrobins94 wrote:
Schewe ready to be mayor

Bob Schewe has been in the trenches, just retiring from the Kelowna city bylaw department.

And he knows how the City of Kelowna works and doesn’t work behind the scenes.

That is why he is running for mayor on Oct. 20, and that is why he has targeted the homeless and street people situation as one of the key issues facing the city.

“People want genuine change,” Schewe says, “and I’m hoping they’ll look at my experience and know that I do know what I’m talking about. I love this community. It’s been great to me. There’s genuine passion there.”

Schewe has lived in the Okanagan for nearly 25 years and spent the last dozen in the Kelowna bylaw department as an enforcement officer. As a result, he is well aware of the homeless and transient situation downtown and other similarly affected areas in Kelowna. He believes the current administration has let it get out of hand.

Schewe comes to the table with answers, too. He says, as an example, Kelowna needs a loitering bylaw like Calgary has. He believes the unfortunate homeless who qualify and are willing to live within the community’s rules should receive assistance but those who are career petty criminals and their way of life are not welcome.

“I’m experienced with boots on the ground, first-hand dealing with these people,” Schewe says. “Anybody who knows anything about addictions or mental health and so on, we’re basically enabling this way of life on the street with some of the current policies. And that’s not right. It’s not really helping anybody. We are all human beings. You’re just prolonging their way of life, and they’re slowly killing themselves. I do know what works and what doesn’t work.”

Schewe says one of the first things he would do as mayor is push for the closure of the Cornerstone Shelter on Leon Avenue. A possible relocation, if proven justified, would be an industrial area well away from commercial businesses or residential areas. Small shelters would also have to scrutinized as to location. However, getting the qualifying homeless placed into housing as soon as possible must remain a social priority.

“We’re understaffed with RCMP per capita,” he says. “The city tries to get by with a minimal amount of staffing. You can’t do that with the RCMP. This is a very busy town.”

Schewe is also running for the affordability, livability as well as safety for all Kelowna citizens. To that end, one of his goals, if elected as mayor, would be to keep property tax increases at or near zero for the first two years. These are issues facing vulnerable, retired seniors and younger families, he says.

As for development and large project expenditures, he wants to see a slowdown in the rush to become a big city—with all the associated costs and big-city problems that come with that. Big expenditures and projects at the planning stage have to be more open to scrutiny by the public, existing property owners and businesses directly affected. “I’m not against development,” he says, “but projects have to be good for all our existing property owners, residents and businesses.”

Schewe says electing him as mayor will bring common sense to city hall and install a leader who will do what is right.

Schewe can be contacted directly with questions at [email protected].

This content was authorized by Bob Schewe, financial agent. 250-300-1137.

https://okanaganedge.net/2018/09/12/sch ... -be-mayor/

I like what I read. The only thing I'm surprised is that he doesn't seem aware that the Cornerstone Shelter is closing early next year?

Cornerstone claims they are shutting down at end of March 2019 yet don't be surprised if they turn around and keep it open. Gaelene Askland ( executive director of john howard society) will probably come on the news in February saying they cannot find a building to relocate to and therefore BC Housing has granted another extension on the old A&B Sound building and the neighbouring businesses will have to deal with it. Did you read her response when VCC said they would be relocating due to the problems with Cornerstone? She didn't seem to care, nor does she care about the other businesses surrounding the shelter.
DGCKELOWNA

Post by DGCKELOWNA »

Please. Anyone but our current guy.
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

Anyone who wants to slow down the unchecked development gets a gold star in my book.
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

Agree, anyone but what we got now. Just make sure not to scatter our votes for various candidates, if any, so Basran does not get in through the back door.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

I'd be interested in hearing more from this candidate. I can appreciate his frontline experience; my concern is that while a bylaw officer (like any other frontline role) surely understands how policy is applied and the impact, I doubt most would understand why certain policies are developed and the processes on how policy works.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

i like what he has to say, at this time he has my vote...........
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

I agree his experience is more frontline than say "understanding of why policy was developed". However, at this point, due the to urgency of the crisis, I feel we need someone who understands what happens at ground level so we can deal with the downtown problem immediately.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

This part is the only thing that worries me ..

By law guys are mostly over officious dorks ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
playhard2010

Post by playhard2010 »

MAPearce wrote:This part is the only thing that worries me ..

By law guys are mostly over officious dorks ...

Haha you are very disgruntled by your parking tickets you have recieved downtown.... how many threads do you troll bagging on bylaw officers....lol what they do must affect your life so much that you feel the need to constantly post trash about them. Walk a day in their shoes before you continue to spout off. Nobody cares about your "opinion" of putting down bylaw officers if you havent picked up on that by now from the other threads......
miss_sterious
Fledgling

Post by miss_sterious »

I like his platform the best. However, he’s not going to get any media love. The media is owned by leftists...and it’s already obvious that the media is pitting two liberals against each other in order to make a big story of it and ensure that someone who will push the liberal narrative wins. Yes folks, we are officially in a police state, and part of the ploy is to play the ‘pick one of the two’ game. Anyone with a toddler knows the drill...’broccoli or carrot?’ Make them think they have a choice, when it’s the same thing.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

miss_sterious wrote:I like his platform the best. However, he’s not going to get any media love. The media is owned by leftists....

I agree with everything you have said except the above. If you think the local media, castanet and the other internet news outlets, kelowna courier and global tv are leftist.... well... [icon_lol2.gif] :biggrin:
miss_sterious
Fledgling

Post by miss_sterious »

kelownman wrote:
miss_sterious wrote:I like his platform the best. However, he’s not going to get any media love. The media is owned by leftists....

I agree with everything you have said except the above. If you think the local media, castanet and the other internet news outlets, kelowna courier and global tv are leftist.... well... [icon_lol2.gif] :biggrin:

The local outlets are owned by Black Press, very left. They give you just enough of the other side to make you think it’s balanced. Castanet is privately owned, perhaps we will see balance here.
miss_sterious
Fledgling

Post by miss_sterious »

I stand to be corrected on this, by the way. It is not well researched. Anyone have info?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

miss_sterious wrote:I like his platform the best. However, he’s not going to get any media love. The media is owned by leftists...and it’s already obvious that the media is pitting two liberals against each other in order to make a big story of it and ensure that someone who will push the liberal narrative wins. Yes folks, we are officially in a police state, and part of the ploy is to play the ‘pick one of the two’ game. Anyone with a toddler knows the drill...’broccoli or carrot?’ Make them think they have a choice, when it’s the same thing.

Can you clearly demonstrate leftwing bias in our local news media?
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.

Return to “Civic Elections 2018”