Step right up and let your name stand.

twobits
Guru

Re: Step right up and let your name stand.

Post by twobits »

JagXKR wrote:So many running that it just gets watered down and will make those sitting on the fence (whether to vote or not) to stay home. This is not a good thing.

You are absolutely right. The democratic process is being hijacked by it's own premise of inclusiveness for all to run for office. Anyone with the fee required and a few signatures can dilute the ballot paper into a clown car of choices.
The cost to run should be nil but there should be at least 100 people that will sign off and be publicly known as supporting the candidacy of the candidate.
That in itself would eliminate juk and other whacko's.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

How can someone with criminal charges be allowed to run for public office? Especially in this case (Jukka Laurio) with many violations/fines with the city of Penticton? What a waste of time some of the candidates are.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

pentona wrote:How can someone with criminal charges be allowed to run for public office? Especially in this case (Jukka Laurio) with many violations/fines with the city of Penticton? What a waste of time some of the candidates are.

The guy knows he has no chance at winning the Mayors chair. For him, in his narcissistic mind, is just marketing and keeping his unique name recognized for his 8 weed store ambition business franchises from the border to west Kelowna.
A perfect example of why 100 publicly identifiable legal and registered voters should be required to run for public office.
This is nothing more than a publicity stunt for the idiot.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

DoggStar

Post by DoggStar »

Cox and Picton need to go, both of them are in it to stroke their egos, nothing more.
my10cents

Post by my10cents »

Mr. Ego's post on facebook: thought I'd share with all - we need him to just go away! (Jason Cox BTW)

"Friends, it is now official. The election campaign has begun and to acheive this goal we are going to need to spend some money on signs and advertising. I have been preparing my whole life for this opportunity. I know that I have the correct combination of education, experience and passion to lead the City of Penticton back to a better, safer, more prosperous path.
But I cannot do it alone, so I am asking you to be involved. Please donate to my campaign so that I can communicate my message of Public Safety, Affordable Living, Jobs, and Strong Leadership to the People of Penticton.
Even if you don't live locally, every one can donate.
No donation is too small, but there is a contribution limit of $1,200 per person and direct corporate or union donations are not allowed.
Once again, my friends, please help me help the community.
Visit http://www.ourpenticton.ca to see my platform and donate"

Already asking us taxpayers for money... [icon_lol2.gif]
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

DoggStar wrote:Cox and Picton need to go, both of them are in it to stroke their egos, nothing more.

I don't think either of them stand a chance this time around. Cox fouled up his nomination papers last time and this time waited til the very last day. You are right re the Ego of these two; I think we could also lump Sentes into that category as well.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

It's not all bad news for Max. He will only have to pay MSP premiums for Nov and Dec and the basement suite at mom and dad's is affordable. Jak however might have trouble covering Nov and Dec payments.
Joe Fries should do a Freedom of Info request to see how many current sitting councillors had serious dental work done in the last two months.

pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

twobits wrote:It's not all bad news for Max. He will only have to pay MSP premiums for Nov and Dec and the basement suite at mom and dad's is affordable. Jak however might have trouble covering Nov and Dec payments.
Joe Fries should do a Freedom of Info request to see how many current sitting councillors had serious dental work done in the last two months.

Good points, twobits. Might be a great question to ask all of the candidates at the public forums: "if Elected will you get rid of the free medical and dental benefits paid by John Q. Taxpayer?" Would make a few of the incumbents squirm, I bet.
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

twobits wrote:Joe Fries should do a Freedom of Info request to see how many current sitting councillors had serious dental work done in the last two months.

I’m sure if Joe is following his boss Milo’s instructions, he’ll be blaming Katie in some way.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
jinx1984

Post by jinx1984 »

First of all, to all of you who think certain people are running simply based on ego, honestly, do you research! Cox has spent YEARS on volunteer boards, not just pre election and if Max were running solely on ego, this wouldn't be the community to do it in. He's taken a lot of criticism and heat! If you're still willing to run after 4 years of nasty and sometimes personal criticism, this is more than ego, it's a willingness to put yourself in the firing line and serve the community. These volunteers and councillors sacrifice massive amounts of time from their families, businesses, jobs, etc....for ego? I think not! We should all be as giving of our time, and if you can't be, at least appreciate those who do as they make a massive difference in our community.

As far as campaign fundraising and "last minute" nomination submissions.....again, do your research! Cox didn't wait until "the last minute" (do your due diligence), but even if he did (which many did), they are no less capable or qualified! Also, I would venture to say, if not every candidate, 99% rely on campaign donations to get their message out. It is how elections are run, municipal, provincial and federal....every single one.

Perhaps instead of criticizing everything these candidates do, step up and put yourself forward! If you think you could do better, or are better, then by all means, put yourself out there!
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

jinx1984 wrote:Perhaps instead of criticizing everything these candidates do, step up and put yourself forward! If you think you could do better, or are better, then by all means, put yourself out there!

Sorry jinx .. as tax paying citizens in a democratic society I do believe everyone has the right to their opinion. You included. That being said… perhaps you can tell us exactly what it is Mr Cox plans to do that will so benefit our fine city. I've read some of his comments, watched some of his videos, I'm not convinced in my opinion that he has what it's going to take to positively change what has been happening over the past 48 months. Mr Picton .. do tell, cause I haven't seen much or heard much from Max that gives me the confidence to mark an X by his name.

This isn't about anyone who complains about a candidate having to put themselves out there. No one held a gun to these individuals and said … "you must run for Councillor … you must run for Mayor". These are decisions made for whatever reason they made them for. And with these two individuals my opinion is that they are both motivated by their egos and not their knowledge of what needs fixing and how that fixing can occur to benefit the tax paying public.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

I won't be voting for anyone who doesn't go through the usual steps to become mayor. That means going for councillor first or at least School Board Trustee. Maybe my own opinion (which I am entitled to) but folks like Cox are missing a step and trying to jump the hurdle.

Vass will be getting an X from me.
jinx1984

Post by jinx1984 »

as tax paying citizens in a democratic society I do believe everyone has the right to their opinion. You included.

You are definitely entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts. I understand nobody is putting a gun to these candidates heads and forcing them to run, but to assume WHY they are running is irresponsible at best. Perhaps reach out and contact them personally and have a conversation and then form your opinions. I have seen that Mr. Cox has posted his phone number publicly and specifically asked for people to call if they have concerns or questions. I haven't seen or heard much from the other candidates so far, perhaps the all candidates forums will shed some light on where everyone stands. Mr. Cox has been actively working in the community continuously for over a decade, and in particular the past 4 years. He hasn't been sitting on the sidelines leading up to this election, like some, and is very plugged in to the issues Penticton is now facing.
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

Cox comes across as insincere, and as if he has been rehearsing for this moment for a long time, and that it is a stepping stone to something else.

Jakubeit has rolled out the welcome mat to the lowlifes that pollute our sidewalks, alley ways and lanes.

We need a financially savvy law and order mayor that will take back the streets. One that will stand up and say that these sub species of the human race are not welcome and make them feel unwelcome. Someone like Bill Bratton.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

dreamon wrote:Cox comes across as insincere, and as if he has been rehearsing for this moment for a long time, and that it is a stepping stone to something else.

Jakubeit has rolled out the welcome mat to the lowlifes that pollute our sidewalks, alley ways and lanes.

We need a financially savvy law and order mayor that will take back the streets. One that will stand up and say that these sub species of the human race are not welcome and make them feel unwelcome. Someone like Bill Bratton.

I agree with you re Cox and Jakubeit but who in the heck is Bill Bratton? Never heard of him. :135:

Return to “Civic Elections 2018”