Fire tornado

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Fire tornado

Post by rustled »

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Re: Fire tornado

Post by Drip_Torch »

Thanks rustled! I was out of town and missed that one.

Fire whirls - a rare, awesome but dangerous phenomena.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Does that count as a tornado? One time when I was working on a ranch I had just finished racking the hay into nice rows when a whirlwind came up and picked the hay and a couple sheets of plywood and spun it around in front of me.

BC is not a good place for tornadoes though. You need flat land plus heat and humidity. The eastern edges of 100 Mile gets weather like that (Canim Lake/Forest Grove), Quesnel, and up around Dawson Creek/Fort St. John. The rest of us are too dry, too hilly, and/or too cold.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Glacier wrote:Does that count as a tornado? One time when I was working on a ranch I had just finished racking the hay into nice rows when a whirlwind came up and picked the hay and a couple sheets of plywood and spun it around in front of me.

BC is not a good place for tornadoes though. You need flat land plus heat and humidity. The eastern edges of 100 Mile gets weather like that (Canim Lake/Forest Grove), Quesnel, and up around Dawson Creek/Fort St. John. The rest of us are too dry, too hilly, and/or too cold.

nope - It has to touch ground and evidence of some damage to be considered a tornado. This would be a funnel cloud at best. very minor rotation
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

gman313 wrote:nope - It has to touch ground and evidence of some damage to be considered a tornado. This would be a funnel cloud at best. very minor rotation

I dunno, that's a lot of damage from the fire! ha ha.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Glacier wrote:Does that count as a tornado? One time when I was working on a ranch I had just finished racking the hay into nice rows when a whirlwind came up and picked the hay and a couple sheets of plywood and spun it around in front of me.

Nope, not a tornado. They get much larger than that and they're still just fire whirls, but I'm sure when they are headlined as such they don't garner quite so many clicks. The last real documented and confirmed fire tornado that I'm aware of happened in Canberra, Australia. It was spawned in the hills, associated with a pyrocumulus cloud formation, and gained strength as it headed down into the valley bottom below.

Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Glacier wrote:
gman313 wrote:nope - It has to touch ground and evidence of some damage to be considered a tornado. This would be a funnel cloud at best. very minor rotation

I dunno, that's a lot of damage from the fire! ha ha.

It is still a very scary thing.
Bring back the LIKE button.
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

One in California this year:- https://nypost.com/2018/08/17/californi ... kills-two/

Another one smaller firenado that turned into small water spout.

Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Awesome video clip! That one belongs in the upgraded NFES 1406 "Plumes & Vortices" video. It clearly shows the classic L shaped active fire footprint that tends to spawn fire whirls. I've seen a video clip of a fire whirl meandering across 8 lanes of pavement and hitting the other side with enough energy left to ignite everything in its path.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Since both "tornadoes in BC" and how headlines use "tornado" were mentioned earlier:
Wild weather northwest of Mission B.C., created the perfect storm for tornado like conditions on Sunday.

A B.C. woman was on Hayward Lake and captured the whirling clouds.

Matt MacDonald, Environment Canada meteorologist says the rotating clouds can be seen in the video.

“There was no funnel touching down to the earth, which meteorologists say is necessary for a tornado to be confirmed,” said MacDonald.

Meteorologists looked into the alleged tornado sighting and said a mix of heavy rain and lightning could have made for the perfect condition for a tornado to occur.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/236843 ... ing-on-cam

I suppose the reason we see more video and still images of these events is likely due to so many people armed with cell phone cameras?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Fire Watch 2018”