Step right up and let your name stand.

FourtyFour

Re: Step right up and let your name stand.

Post by FourtyFour »

XT225 wrote:
twobits wrote:
Don't be so sure she will be kicked of the island. Her connections and cash run deep.

I hope those possible connections and cash don't fool the majority of the electorate. We do not need arrogance and egos and "do as I say, not as I do" people on council. We need people who lead by example and listen to the majority. Case in point...when Jak signed the Trio deal with 500+ people outside City Hall protesting. We know that HE is gonna be down the road, at least. Cox was in favor of the water slides as well; we mustn't forget that.

Since when is 500 people a majority in a city of 34,000? If you are going to drag the water slides into a conversation about carriage homes as a way to impugn Cox, you should also remember that Vassilaki was on the council that started the whole Skaha Park fiasco. None of the leading contenders for mayor are clear of that issue.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

FourtyFour wrote:
Since when is 500 people a majority in a city of 34,000? If you are going to drag the water slides into a conversation about carriage homes as a way to impugn Cox, you should also remember that Vassilaki was on the council that started the whole Skaha Park fiasco. None of the leading contenders for mayor are clear of that issue.

Never before in recent history had we seen 500+ people protesting outside City Hall with the mayor not listening. Vasalaki was on council when the Water slides were first pitched but I believe HE voted against them. Correct me if I am wrong. Cox was not on council but was in favor of them, as was Jakabite.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

XT225 wrote:
CTF wrote:
Sentes already has a carriage house on her property thus she would not directly financially benefit if others in the outlined area were denied from having the opportunity to do so.

She may not have stood to directly benefit financially but she is acting like a spoiled brat/hypocrite by voting against having more in her neighbourhood when SHE was the first to put one on her property. The nerve; hope she gets the boot from council and hard! She would have been wise to leave the room when the vote took place.

I understand the point your are making here but from what I understand it is residents of the neighborhood in question who want to ban carriage houses. In that respect she would be supporting the wishes of local neighbors. I do agree we need some new faces on council though.
FourtyFour

Post by FourtyFour »

XT225 wrote:
FourtyFour wrote:

Never before in recent history had we seen 500+ people protesting outside City Hall with the mayor not listening. Vasalaki was on council when the Water slides were first pitched but I believe HE voted against them. Correct me if I am wrong. Cox was not on council but was in favor of them, as was Jakabite.

I agree that Jakubeit failed to listen to the people. As I remember it, Cox was representing the opinion of the Chamber as would have been his duty as their elected President. Vassilaki was on the council under Mayor Ashton that initiated the search for a redevelopment of the Skaha Marina and on the council under Mayor Litke that signed the initial deal with Trio Marine. I just watched the meeting where the Trio deal was approved and it was done "In-Camera" behind closed doors. No councillor including Vassilaki spoke for or against the motion. There was no public vote.
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

XT225 wrote:
FourtyFour wrote:

Vasaliki has never said he voted against the project. He said the water slides were supposed to be an option for the future. Well guess what, it was almost 2 years later and that is the future from when the council he was on first signed the agreement with Trio. He just flipped faster then the rest of council when he saw the opposition but council likely faced a legal requirement to vote at that time they did despite the protests outside.

This has actually always been one of my issues with Vasaliki. He flips and flops based on the last special interest group to talk to him. Plus he votes on bylaws that may benefit him in the future instead of recusing himself. I also find it ironic that this supposed champion of Penticton, and the downtown core, rents a building on main to a pawn shop. How exactly is that benefitting downtown? I don't think it's helping draw people to the other businesses in the area, especially from the desired demographic that businesses downtown are after.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Darkre wrote:

This has actually always been one of my issues with Vasaliki. He flips and flops based on the last special interest group to talk to him. Plus he votes on bylaws that may benefit him in the future instead of recusing himself. I also find it ironic that this supposed champion of Penticton, and the downtown core, rents a building on main to a pawn shop. How exactly is that benefitting downtown? I don't think it's helping draw people to the other businesses in the area, especially from the desired demographic that businesses downtown are after.

Not going to get into a Vassalki slamming session with anyone. Nobody is perfect but I wonder why the downtown beautification started in the 200 block? Gee, anyone we know have a business there by chance? Could they benefit from the project? Not slamming them, either; just saying. Perhaps if Vass had been mayor, it would have started in the 500 or 600 block; nobody really knows. Or maybe not at all, since Vass is not big on spending. Would that have been so bad? The rest of the city needs major infrastructure work as well; not just the downtown.
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

XT225 wrote:
Darkre wrote:

Not going to get into a Vassalki slamming session with anyone. Nobody is perfect but I wonder why the downtown beautification started in the 200 block? Gee, anyone we know have a business there by chance? Could they benefit from the project? Not slamming them, either; just saying. Perhaps if Vass had been mayor, it would have started in the 500 or 600 block; nobody really knows. Or maybe not at all, since Vass is not big on spending. Would that have been so bad? The rest of the city needs major infrastructure work as well; not just the downtown.

I always felt Jakubeit and Vasaliki should have recused themselves from this decision. However plans for the downtown improvements began with the previous council so where they began was a decision of many, with Jakubeit having no stronger a voice than Vasalaki. Jakubeit, as a tenant, also does not benefit to the same degree as owners of the properties. The improvements are paid for through property taxes which the tenants pay. The owner receives an increase in property value without having to pay anything for it.

Also, it's often overlooked that the downtown beautification was a result of the required underground infrastructure upgrades in the area. Upgrades that have led to several new projects being announced or built in the area. Considering the beautification portion of these upgrades was a small portion of the overall project penticton taxpayers have gotten decent value from them. If all the projects are completed then the additional property taxes from those sites will more than pay for these upgrades in a few short years.

As to Vasaliki bashing, on several occasions I've stated the reasons I don't like him as an option for mayor without receiving a response on why I should vote for him beyond "at least he's not Jakubeit" or the mistaken belief that he had no hand in the Skaha Park debacle.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Darkre wrote:
I always felt Jakubeit and Vasaliki should have recused themselves from this decision. However plans for the downtown improvements began with the previous council so where they began was a decision of many, with Jakubeit having no stronger a voice than Vasalaki. Jakubeit, as a tenant, also does not benefit to the same degree as owners of the properties. The improvements are paid for through property taxes which the tenants pay. The owner receives an increase in property value without having to pay anything for it.

Also, it's often overlooked that the downtown beautification was a result of the required underground infrastructure upgrades in the area. Upgrades that have led to several new projects being announced or built in the area. Considering the beautification portion of these upgrades was a small portion of the overall project penticton taxpayers have gotten decent value from them. If all the projects are completed then the additional property taxes from those sites will more than pay for these upgrades in a few short years.

As to Vasaliki bashing, on several occasions I've stated the reasons I don't like him as an option for mayor without receiving a response on why I should vote for him beyond "at least he's not Jakubeit" or the mistaken belief that he had no hand in the Skaha Park debacle.

I agree with you in that anyone who could benefit from a decision by council should recuse themselves or abstain from the vote at the very least. Both Vass and Jak could benefit from Main Street changes; no question whatsoever. I honestly think that some of the older residential areas of Penticton needed (and still do) major infrastructure upgrades even before the downtown did. Re Vass and the Skaha Park debate; its hard to say if he would have voted in favor or against it in the end. The whole thing was done too much behind closed doors (in camera) for the public to really guage what went on. Water now under the bridge however.
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

XT225 wrote:
Darkre wrote:

I agree with you in that anyone who could benefit from a decision by council should recuse themselves or abstain from the vote at the very least. Both Vass and Jak could benefit from Main Street changes; no question whatsoever. I honestly think that some of the older residential areas of Penticton needed (and still do) major infrastructure upgrades even before the downtown did. Re Vass and the Skaha Park debate; its hard to say if he would have voted in favor or against it in the end. The whole thing was done too much behind closed doors (in camera) for the public to really guage what went on. Water now under the bridge however.

The advantage to doing it downtown first was that there is land available there for development. Development that will increase the tax base, which will make more money available for future upgrades elsewhere.
FourtyFour

Post by FourtyFour »

XT225 wrote:
twobits wrote:
Don't be so sure she will be kicked of the island. Her connections and cash run deep.

I hope those possible connections and cash don't fool the majority of the electorate. We do not need arrogance and egos and "do as I say, not as I do" people on council. We need people who lead by example and listen to the majority. Case in point...when Jak signed the Trio deal with 500+ people outside City Hall protesting. We know that HE is gonna be down the road, at least. Cox was in favor of the water slides as well; we mustn't forget that.

“Water under the bridge” you say... aren’t you the one who also said that “we mustn’t forget”? So Vassilaki is on the council that starts the whole fiasco and doesn’t say a word against it and forget that it’s ancient history, but Cox speaks at a council meeting on behalf the people who elected him but never had a hand in Jakubeit’s mismanagement and we mustn’t forget... ok, I’m good with that.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Hey, good one. You half/caught me but I doubt honestly that Vass would have voted in the end, to support the water slides. Cox did represent his group and we don't know how he voted inside that group but pretty sure he supported it. Still not going to change my mind enough to vote for Cox; never. He is trailing in third place in the poll right now (H@rald).Its going to be either Jak or Vass that wins. I know., not scientific but its still worth a view.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

XT225 wrote:He is trailing in third place in the poll right now (H@rald).Its going to be either Jak or Vass that wins. I know., not scientific but its still worth a view.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the Herald poll. Besides the small sample size, I've managed to vote for each of the candidates four times now.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Chessman

Post by Chessman »

Cox is done like dinner. He is a “want a be” . Mayor is the Chair of the Council and one of seven votes on decisions. Based on what Cox has said in the press he is all about “I” and “me”... he has no EXPERIENCE in Municipal Government. Don’t waste your vote.
It is a two man race for Mayor , Jak vs Vass. Wow ,that is sad if you think about it. Dinosaur retread vs Incumbent Mayor who had a 19% approval rating 60 % of the time thru his term as Mayor. With all the uproar over the last 4 years with this Council you would think a few of the big mouths that write into the Hearld ( many weekly ) would have given a run at it. I guess it is easier to throw rocks and complain than actually stepping up and trying to do something positive for the community.
So Vass gets the seniors vote ( spend nothing and do nothing without a referendum Agenda ) and Jak gets the vote from most of the non bof’s.
It will be all about voter turnout and how Little Joe and Miller (the man who seems to have the answer to everything) influence the entire process. No impartiality from the Hearld. They are clearly anti Jak and pro the blue-hair vote. After all they have to pander to the people that buy the Penticton Enquirer and live for its delivery daily ( almost daily ).
Jak is actually the best bet. He wants what is best for all the citizens of Penticton and has learned the hard way to get input from the citizens on big decisions relating to the City.
Get some popcorn, it will be entertaining.
jinx1984

Post by jinx1984 »

Mayor is the Chair of the Council and one of seven votes on decisions. Based on what Cox has said in the press he is all about “I” and “me”... he has no EXPERIENCE in Municipal Government. Don’t waste your vote.

This is exactly the type of experience Mr. Cox has as he has been elected as Chair of The Chamber of Commerce three separate times and has sat on the board for a total of 13 years; as well he was President of the SOSBIS board and served for 5 years. He knows this governance model extremely well. This isn't about "I" and "me", his service record stands on it's own with or without a pending election. Does he talk about what he can and wants to do? Certainly, they all do, that's the point of campaigning. Each candidate needs to be able to differentiate themselves and what their skillset can bring to better our city. I've done my research, maybe you should as well.

As for Vassilaki, I agree with you. WHERE has he been the past 4 years?? He lost his bid in 2014, took his ball and went home! Someone who wants to help and guide their community doesn't just surface every 4 years, they remain engaged and involved in whatever capacity they can. There has been lots to do in the past 4 years, and now he has the solutions? And have you seen Mr. Vassilaki's speeches in the last election, or this time around? I have never heard anyone use the words "I" and "me" more than he does. Also, he's the only one running who has had grievances filed in the past for the treatment of City staff. That is not a leader nor a team builder.

You've listed the reasons why both Jak and Vass aren't suitable, but write off the only other credible third candidate? Looks like you're left with Laurio, Wheeler or Blake, all of whom have far less experience than Cox. Good luck the next 4 years!
Chessman

Post by Chessman »

Well jinx1984 you obviously do not understand the difference between the Chairing ( Mayor ) of a Municipality vs a not for profit or a corporate organization. Under BC - Laws, Municipalities ( ex. Vancouver, they have there own charter) are governed by the Community Charter which sets out very specific rules and procedures under which Municipalities must govern themselves.

In 2011, it was very evident that Mr. Cox did not understand the Community Charter when he failed to file financial disclosure statements for the 2011 civic election which he was a candidate and was therefore disqualified for the 2014 election.

What other things does Cox not know about rules and procedures for Municipal Government? My guess is a lot !
Perhaps he should have run for Council and demonstrated he can be effective in that role before running as Mayor?

We seem to agree on Vass, I have done my research on Cox and he is not qualified to be Mayor, I never stated I supported any of the other clowns running for Mayor ( perhaps you should read my last post again) and by default Jak is the (albeit best of a bad lot) candidate for Mayor.
I’m not on the Forum to debate, I don’t engage with cretins and there is nothing you can do about a sub 80 IQ.

Return to “Civic Elections 2018”