Where to live

OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Where to live

Post by OKkayak »

Vernon isn't my dream place to live, but these are absolute BS:
Scrobins94 wrote:No jobs,

Everyone I know who lives here has jobs, and good paying ones as well.
Scrobins94 wrote:no good shopping,

No worse than anywhere else in the Valley.
Scrobins94 wrote:no good restaurants.

:laugh: Just a quick trip down Main Street has an abundance of great non-franchise resturants.
Nihlo

Post by Nihlo »

I agree. Whenever I encounter someone that speaks poorly of Vernon's quality I consider them spoiled. You should see some of the places people live in this country, particularly in the north. Vernon is very nice, and how dare anyone say that it has no good restaurants!
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

OKkayak wrote:Vernon isn't my dream place to live, but these are absolute BS:
Scrobins94 wrote:No jobs,

Everyone I know who lives here has jobs, and good paying ones as well.
Scrobins94 wrote:no good shopping,

No worse than anywhere else in the Valley.
Scrobins94 wrote:no good restaurants.

:laugh: Just a quick trip down Main Street has an abundance of great non-franchise resturants.

Vernon has tons of jobs tons of good resturants and pubs great winter sports great summer sports

shopping?? my gawd man there are so many good stores in Vernon to shop its crazy
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Purr-fectly satisfactory food wise, entertainment, driveability, and easy shopping.

My greatest worry is that peeps move here and ruin it all, as has happened in Kelowna/Kamloops. Insane!
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Sure if you compare Vernon to some dinky little town in Northern BC then yes, Vernon has lots of amenities. But for a city of its size, Vernon should have more restaurants, shopping, and good jobs.

But somehow, Vernon manages to be as dangerous and full of homeless and junkies as East Hastings in Vancouver.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I had visitor yesterday and had a devil of a time trying to decide which wonderful restaurant to lunch at. Settled on Bamboo Beach, Japanese cuisine, absolutely delicious. Place was packed with happy diners...many choices, I know they are all terrific.

You either don't live here or never go out, Scrobbins.

Give it a whirl and quit whining. :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Catsumi wrote:I had visitor yesterday and had a devil of a time trying to decide which wonderful restaurant to lunch at. Settled on Bamboo Beach, Japanese cuisine, absolutely delicious. Place was packed with happy diners...many choices, I know they are all terrific.

You either don't live here or never go out, Scrobbins.

Give it a whirl and quit whining. :biggrin:

I lived in Vernon, as I have lived in Vancouver and other parts of the world and now Kelowna. Trust me, besides the Japanese restaurant across the street from Blast from the Past, all other Japanese restaurants in Vernon suck.

But Vernon ranks highly on something:
https://604now.com/crime-british-columb ... us-cities/

"Vernon, also in Interior BC, has a population of 39,690. It ranks 9/229 on the Crime Severity Index in all of Canada..."
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Scrobins94 wrote:"Vernon, also in Interior BC, has a population of 39,690. It ranks 9/229 on the Crime Severity Index in all of Canada..."
For break and enter - the City needs to stop living in the past and start protecting assets. Can't leave valuables lying around as other cities have realized - still a great place to live.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Glad to hear that Kelowna suits you.

Unknown
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Scrobins94 wrote:[Trust me, besides the Japanese restaurant across the street from Blast from the Past, all other Japanese restaurants in Vernon suck.

Yeah, no they don't. Went to Raku Ramen the other night, fantastic :up:
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Scrobins94 wrote:Sure if you compare Vernon to some dinky little town in Northern BC then yes, Vernon has lots of amenities. But for a city of its size, Vernon should have more restaurants, shopping, and good jobs.

Huh?

We have 6 large/major grocery stores, 3 major hardware stores, a big box electronics store, and a crap load of other major brand/specialty stores supplemented by an army of small to medium sized stores selling everything we need. We have every major non-high end car brand dealerships here, with the exception of Mazda. In your opinion, what more does Vernon "need" or "is missing"?

I'm far from being a Vernon fan, but in regards to good restaurants and amenities, Vernon isn't laking one bit.
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

We have 6 large/major grocery stores, 3 major hardware stores, a big box electronics store, and a crap load of other major brand/specialty stores supplemented by an army of small to medium sized stores selling everything we need. We have every major non-high end car brand dealerships here, with the exception of Mazda. In your opinion, what more does Vernon "need" or "is missing"?

Still waiting for Chapters....... :( That would complete things for me!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Oh Muzza, we have a wonderful library across from a gorgeous pocketpark. :biggrin:

Unknown
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Nihlo wrote:I agree. Whenever I encounter someone that speaks poorly of Vernon's quality I consider them spoiled. You should see some of the places people live in this country, particularly in the north. Vernon is very nice, and how dare anyone say that it has no good restaurants!

Vernon is C R A P.

Pure and simple. If you walk in Polson park almost guaranteed to get stabbed. The hospital has numerous fines from WorkSafe BC and the economy is pathetic
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

lol - been to Polson Park many times - haven't been stabbed yet. The hospital I haven't had an issue with either. Love the little shops and eateries and how helpful people are. Lots of wonderful neighbourhood and don't know anyone that has any different issues than a lot of others.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “North Okanagan”