It smells bad. And it isn't the smell of weed.

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

It smells bad. And it isn't the smell of weed.

Post by bob vernon »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/23 ... galization

The laws are there so why haven't any licenses been issued? Is city hall just trying to keep the lid on weed for a while after Oct 17, or does someone have their hand out under the table? The longer this lingers, the worse the smell gets. Weed will be legal Oct 17, so issue some licenses and allow the dealers to get their shops set up. I get that the number of shops will be controlled, and city hall already can ensure that the "correct" people get the licenses. Get moving.
Zia65

Re: It smells bad. And it isn't the smell of weed.

Post by Zia65 »

I wholeheartedly agree. I thought one of the main reasons for legalization, was to take the profitability away from the criminal element/gangs. If people can't go into a store to buy it, they are going to continue to buy from their previous "suppliers". All the fear mongering about people suddenly deciding to drive after smoking, or underage accessing it....seriously....people still drink and drive...minors still get access to alcohol. Legal cannabis will be no different. Those who smoke and drive now, will continue to do so. Those who don't, won't start. I'm sure the high school kids have better access to weed than most adults and always will, legal or not.

I just feel sorry for those who use it for medicinal purposes and will have their pharmacy shut down until the powers that be get their acts together.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Probably should have gone straight to online & BC Liquor.
Towns can't be trusted, look at the criminal element allowed in towns in the Okanagan over the decades.
TheTruth11

Post by TheTruth11 »

Isn't Vernon just letting the stores that exist continue business as usual? Thought I read something like that months back.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

TheTruth11 wrote:Isn't Vernon just letting the stores that exist continue business as usual? Thought I read something like that months back.

I think that would be :cuss: up. Stores should only be operated by those who stayed out and didn't operate illegally.
Makes you wonder who has a stake in these shops besides your typical criminal.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

ugh typical government b.s. making it complicated and difficult.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Is it OK to post this here, from a public Facebook group?

As posted to Vernon Rant & Rave by "Herb's Vernon BC":

"My name is Russ Stevenson, and for the past 5 years I have been involved in the retail cannabis industry. I spent three years working with the city to set up a medical marijuana access system for the city of Vernon. One of our partners had meetings with the mayor, council, RCMP, downtown business society, and a few more as well. Wayne Lippert, who was the Mayor at the time, even went to UBCM with the questions about opening a medical marijuana store. Because of this we were able to build a system to regulate where, how, and to whom products are sold. The city was able to offer us a proper business licence and a framework to operate under. With the changes in local government all these gains have been lost. It is very unfortunate that the city, or the city bylaw, chose to stop issuing our business licences as this stopped any regulations we had previously set up. After that we had a huge influx in stores popping up, some running a model that was not in the interest of the city or it's residents.

In November of 2017 we had a city council meeting where they stated that due to the overwhelming number of shops they were forced to put a freeze on any new start ups. This did not work because without business licences you have no way to regulate. The next move was to write in all retail sales of marijuana to be illegal in all areas of Vernon. With promises of getting our business licence back on the wall, they asked us to put a covenant on our buildings. This was not an easy task for most stores because not many operators own their buildings. Some paid their landlords large amounts of money for this privilege, and a few had to close. In my case, I own my building so cost was my only obstacle. When this was requested by the city they gave us a timeline that it must be completed before. They also said that any club that opened after November 14th, 2017 could not apply. The city extended this time line at least three times as every time I went in to see where our licences were I was told not they were still not ready. Finally, they decided they would make up a special permit to allow us to operate through until we had our provincial recreational licencing. We have asked the city for a letter of support to go forward, and they have refused!! After all that, jumping through all their hoops, they say they have not done the marijuana bylaws yet. DID THEY NOT KNOW MARIJUANA WAS COMING?!?!!

The covenant that was put on our buildings cost me $2000 to do, the next step was the special permit to operate for $500, a processing fee of $600, and $5000 for a business licence. We have co-operated and paid all our fees and the city still will not supply us with a letter of support. Now we hear City Council member, Dalvir Nahal, on the radio saying that she is disappointed in the clubs for not applying for provincial licencing. If we apply without the letter from the city, we have less chance of getting our licencing from the province. If the province approves us we still must apply with the city and could be turned down. We need our support up front! We love what we do and the people we can help, but at what cost?

We need the support of the city, and WE NEED YOUR HELP to get it!

Show your support for local dispensaries by contacting our city councillors and local politicians to voice your opinion!!!
- Mayor of Vernon: Akbal Mund [email protected] or 250-938-0022
- Monashee MLA: Eric Foster [email protected] or 250-503-3600
- Vernon City Hall @ 250-545-1361
- Vernon City Council @ 250-550-3572 or [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] "
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

$5000 for a business licence is absurd
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

dontrump wrote:$5000 for a business licence is absurd

Yep. Government greed at its finest. No continuity on pricing for other businesses. So much for their idea of taking the profit out of the black market. They're going to just drive the price back up
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

So far in my life I haven't had any need for the product, when that changes I will be using whichever one doesn't stink (pot smoke is sickening smell).
Anyone who did not realize that this was going to be a government cash cow, was living in a dream world.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “North Okanagan”