Rail Trail Fines, Dog Not on Leash

countmeout
Übergod

Rail Trail Fines, Dog Not on Leash

Post by countmeout »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/237487/Leash-them-or-pay-the-price

Up to $2000 for a dog not on a leash! Don't anyone forget and tell all your friends and family so they are not caught off guard!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Rail Trail Fines, Dog Not on Leash

Post by Catsumi »

What a welcome idea.

The signs "dogs MUST be on leash" simply is not working in Grey Canal Trail here in Vernon.

Nothing can fill your pants faster than two very large obviously out of control dogs pinning you to a rock, while owner finally appears with "oh, trust me. They won't hurt you"

How many innocent peeps get bitten and ravaged when hearing those words?

Recent incident in Calgary where the owner was killed by her own mutt and a child (who lived) scarred and maimed for life just an example.

Why so hard to understand? YOU wanted the dog, fine. But keep ALL of it, including barking, crapping and attacks. Don't bother to share. I for one do not find this charming
Last edited by Catsumi on Sep 28th, 2018, 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Of course the rail trail will also have same issue the greenway has, dog owners who don't pick up after their pet.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

When your dog is attached to you via a leash, you really have no excuse not to pick up the crap! (... not that you have any excuse ever anyway...)

I cannot believe that Vernon City Council recently voted NOT to amend the RDNO Dog Control bylaw to require that dogs be ON LEASH in ALL public places, not merely "under control". Do they not care how many folks & their pets are attacked, on a daily basis, by off-leash dogs in the City of Vernon? I avoid walking most of the trails with my leashed dog, because of the constant issues I encounter with off-leash dogs - why is this OK?

The comments on social media about the increased patrols on the OTR clearly show the vast majority are in favour of on-leash. Those comments also show the negative experiences folks have had due to dogs off-leash. A recent article in another publication contains the gory evidence of what happened to a cyclist on the OTR.

I sure hope our next Council gets serious about public safety, and about doing what the public wants.
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

now we just need to keep the damn *bleep* horses off the trail
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Ingevan22 wrote:When your dog is attached to you via a leash, you really have no excuse not to pick up the crap! (... not that you have any excuse ever anyway...)

I cannot believe that Vernon City Council recently voted NOT to amend the RDNO Dog Control bylaw to require that dogs be ON LEASH in ALL public places, not merely "under control". Do they not care how many folks & their pets are attacked, on a daily basis, by off-leash dogs in the City of Vernon? I avoid walking most of the trails with my leashed dog, because of the constant issues I encounter with off-leash dogs - why is this OK?

The comments on social media about the increased patrols on the OTR clearly show the vast majority are in favour of on-leash. Those comments also show the negative experiences folks have had due to dogs off-leash. A recent article in another publication contains the gory evidence of what happened to a cyclist on the OTR.

I sure hope our next Council gets serious about public safety, and about doing what the public wants.

any public place would include the bush so that isn't going to happen its idiotic to even think that's acceptable lol
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

What is idiotic? That you don't understand civic boundaries?

Coldstream, Lumby, Areas B&C have no problem requiring dogs to be on leash & under control in public spaces, so why should the City of Vernon be any different?

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I understand the boundaries just fine ,its idiotic for you or anyone else to think people should be forced to leash their dogs in the woods which is also considered a public space. As for the rail trail good luck enforcing a 2000 dollar fine lol,I take my dogs to run in the bush so I dont have to be around wannabe bylaw losers who feel they should stick their nose in everyone elses business instead of minding their own.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Which woods are you referring to? The parks, boulevards, parking lots, and roads within the City of Vernon?

What I am getting at, is if you're truly in the woods, there is little to no chance that Dog Control would even notice your off-leash dogs, unless other folks are complaining about 'em (e.g if your dogs were trespassing, or chasing wildlife, etc).

So to call me an idiot or a wannabe bylaw loser, because you prefer to go bushwalking with your dog(s), well, that is more than a little disrespectful, not only to me, but to all the other HUMANS who don't wish to be attacked by off-leash dogs within city boundaries.

Perhaps you are not aware of how many attacks are occurring daily within the boundaries of the City of Vernon, and how those attacks can be life-changing, for both people and their pets? Why, just the other day in downtown Vernon, a panhandler's off-leash dog bit a nice lady who was making a donation. Clearly that dog was not under control, and another innocent HUMAN got hurt. What if next time, a smaller human, i.e. a child, gets bit?

Clearly it is in the public interest, to encourage more folks to walk their dogs within the City, and clearly it is also in the public interest, to protect folks from off-leash dogs.

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

countmeout wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/237487/Leash-them-or-pay-the-price

Up to $2000 for a dog not on a leash! Don't anyone forget and tell all your friends and family so they are not caught off guard!

Am I allowed to have my cat off leash?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

LTD wrote:any public place would include the bush so that isn't going to happen its idiotic to even think that's acceptable lol

Eventually Vernon will catch up to other cities that do have dog bylaws (including Kelowna and West Kelowna). Even in the bush one needs to be in control of their animal. If owners are allowing their dogs to pester other people, bylaw should be notified. It is NOT acceptable to allow a dog to run up to other people as not everyone is a fan.

“The victim described the canine as a full grown German shepherd and the dog’s owner as a Caucasian male in his 40s, with a moustache and seen wearing a red shirt.

“Others in the area told police that they two have had encounters with what they believe to be the same dog, they describe as aggressive, in recent months. Police were unable to track down the animal or its owner. The investigation, being led by the Vernon-North Okanagan RCMP, continues at this time.”

https://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/nor ... ail-trail/

This person needs to have his dog muzzled and declared an aggressive dog. Actually this person shouldn't have the dog to begin with.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

countmeout wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/237487/Leash-them-or-pay-the-price

I don't believe it's up to $2,000 for a dog not on leash. Here's the paragraph regarding that:

Responsible dog owners must make sure their pets are properly leashed, well behaved, trained and do not pose a threat to trail users or other animals. Residents should take note that non-compliance to this bylaw could result in owner fines of up to $2,000.

Here's the Dog Control Bylaw (No. 2466, 2010):

https://dogcontrol.ca/wp-content/upload ... l_2011.pdf
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

my dogs will continue to run with me off leash in the bush dont like it stay outta the bush and mind your own business in the city where ya belong
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

LTD wrote:my dogs will continue to run with me off leash in the bush dont like it stay outta the bush and mind your own business in the city where ya belong

Grow up. I will be in the bush and you can keep your mutts under control if you want to keep them. What happens to wildlife in the bush is everyone's business.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

grow up how about mind your own business I actually live in the bush my dogs are used to wildlife if anything the idiots from the city should be on leash when they go to the bush stay in town where ya belong

Return to “North Okanagan”