Multi Purpose Cultural Facility

manager_in_vernon

Multi Purpose Cultural Facility

Post by manager_in_vernon »

I just read the article on plans to build a Multi Purpose Cultural Facility in the museum/old library area. $25 MILLION is going to be borrowed to get this project underway! Seriously??

The reasoning, according to Mund, “A project of this size and scope can be a catalyst to encourage higher density mixed-use development, which is what we want to see for downtown,” says City of Vernon Mayor, Akbal Mund. “The economic impact of such a development will be significant to existing businesses, surrounding shopping and restaurants, and will encourage more redevelopment in the area." This to me is a crock of :cuss:! Obviously Mund is blind and continues to ignore the issues with downtown and thinks spending millions is going to make the problems go away! WAKE UP bone head! You are so out to lunch on priorities in this town, it is pathetic in my view!

Many people avoid the downtown area because of the homeless and drug addicts that leave their bodily fluids, used needles, garbage and are constantly begging for money. There are some who can be aggressive and for the many seniors who have no choice but to shop downtown, this can be scary for them.

It seems that the Mayor really doesn't give a rat's :swear: about the people that live here or making it a safe place to live. We seriously need a new Mayor who will actually work towards a safer community for all who reside in Vernon BEFORE spending an obscene amount of money on something that is not a priority! While I do believe that it would be beneficial DOWN THE ROAD, there are much more pressing issued that need to be taken care of before this building is started! Wake Up Mund and start doing your job! Our roads are CRAP and the homeless and drug addicts are much more pressing issues than a Multi Purpose Cultural Facility!!!!!
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Multi Purpose Cultural Facility

Post by bob vernon »

No need to get worked up. This project won't be built. Vernon city council will undergo a huge facelift this fall and take a hard turn back to the right. Spending will be cut and the city will return to being dirty, infested with potholes, with reduced services, and worn out infrastructure. Strings are being attached to the shoulders already. You'll be made to fear pretty much everybody. The homeless and poor of course. But also the young, overpaid minimum wage workers, unionized civic workers, the NDP, and the Green party. The others.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

This is long overdue, as what we have terribly inadequate! RDNO has been so busy building hockey rinks and playing fields, that this vital part of any thriving community has been passed by, over and over again. Bring it on Vernon!!
PocoGirl

Post by PocoGirl »

I say no until the current :cuss: show down and around town is cleaned up. You all know what I mean. What’s the point in borrowing wasted money? Mho
Last edited by ferri on Jun 23rd, 2018, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Word censor workaround.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

I will vote no as there are more pressing issues that the city needs to address long before any dumb *bleep*
so called 40++ million dollar Multi-Purpose Cultural Facility is built

the whole $$$$$ burden is shifted to the property owners and especially the business property owners where the tax base is already off the dial in Vernon

on a side note I find exceptionally obnoxious that the city takes away all the parking by the access center to build

a 12 foot wide bike path that leads nowhere (deadend)
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

See what I mean? Please add :cuss: show to the list of "others". Be prepared for attack ads to make their debut in local municipal politics.
Last edited by ferri on Jun 23rd, 2018, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Word censor workaround.
Happytobehere
Fledgling

Post by Happytobehere »

I fully support a new cultural facility. We need to remember that the artifacts in the museum and art gallery are held on the public's behalf and some precious items are at risk because of inadequate conditions. There is also large demand for programs, especially for youth, but limited space. Culture is also a critical part of economic development. It draws tourists and provides amenities new residents and businesses are looking for. Culture is just as much part of a community's infrastructure as roads and sewer. Also, this matter is not just restricted to Vernon but will also involve voters from Coldstream and the electoral areas.
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

The people of this city voted down a water filtration plant when we still get regular boil water advisories.

If this fluff gets built before that, we're beyond help.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Invictus wrote:The people of this city voted down a water filtration plant when we still get regular boil water advisories.

If this fluff gets built before that, we're beyond help.

Agreed but boil water is extremely rare these days the reason I voted against the last water 46 million deal is because none of these people that that run these things and build them are fiscally responsible
that 46 million water plant most likely could be built for 1/2 of that
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Nah. A quarter.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

LOL. Another Vernonite objecting to progress. Who would've thought? Hence why Vernon keeps deteriorating, nobody wants to see anything new. Keep businesses closing at 3 or 5pm, no investment in culture or arts. Dining and shopping scene pretty much inexistent. Hence why Vernon looks as sh*t as it does now. It is looking less and less vibrant every year.

If you want Vernon to look bright in the future, you need to start investing in it today.
visimp

Post by visimp »

I will first admit that I do not live in Vernon but once Vernon spends all this money, my city council will 'have to keep up with the Jones' and commit for some other questionable major project which will go over budget.

One suggestion I do have is, why not buy the old Canadian Tire building on 27th street for the Cultural Centre. It is open space so could be divided up to suit all the needs. It comes with abundant parking which will encourage people to stop in as they drive by on the major road. The parking lot could also be used for special outdoor cultural events or displays.

I believe the plan for the new centre is three stories while the Canadian Tire building is one easily accessible floor available to everyone.

It seems to me that taking out valuable parking spaces which the City of Vernon constantly says are in demand and then build a Centre that requires parking for visitors makes no sense at all.

Vernon is small compact city it is no big deal if the Cultural Centre is not 'downtown'.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I've thought that the Canadian Tire building could also be used as the new police station. It has access onto the highway and there should be room in that building for anything the police need. And parking. And bays to do their forensic work on vehicles indoors. Sure, it will need to be secured in places and wired properly, but it might be easier than building a whole new station downtown.

A former Canadian Tire store in Williams Lake was converted into offices for the Cariboo Regional District and the public library and it worked out very well.
sab30

Post by sab30 »

Not hype...not fear...just reality.

Pretty easy to predict...build this...have 50 homeless people camping out and hanging around every night and during the day. Fact many people have stopped going downtown. Its going to continue to erode and die while we continue this politically correct response.

I agree with most. Yes as a property owner i would have no problem supporting a new facility promoting downtown. Clean up the garbage first so it may actually be successful.
Happytobehere
Fledgling

Post by Happytobehere »

This is not a City of Vernon initiative. This is a Regional District of North Okanagan project and involves the residents of Vernon, Coldstream and Areas B and C. It is planned for the lot next to the Elks hall. If the borrowing of $25 million is shot down, that money does not exist for other uses. Money for culture is a different pot than for roads, and the homeless is a federal/provincial issue, not local government.

Return to “North Okanagan”