Basran for mayor

miss_sterious
Fledgling
Posts: 226
Joined: Jun 30th, 2010, 4:32 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by miss_sterious »

Lady tehMa wrote:
miss_sterious wrote:I’m leaning between bylaw guy and pot guy. Who to pick? Bylaw Guy has been laying pretty low. I think pot guy may have my vote. Basran is a male social justice warrior.


Could you really vote for a guy who doesn't think rules apply to him? That's why I won't vote for Kennedy.

I really don't want Dyas in, don't want Basran again either.

Will probably vote Bylaw guy.


I hear ya, good point!
dle
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3326
Joined: Nov 14th, 2005, 12:29 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by dle »

While I don't/won't endorse Basran for Mayor - but I should say I did vote for him last time and have been sorely disappointed - I concur with Dreamon's affordable housing post in a lot of ways.

I have to say that I believe that in every City there needs to be provision for affordable housing (and I'm not meaning shelters for the homeless in this instance) for those who are working full-time, sometimes two jobs, non-addicted, who simply can't afford a 2 bedroom condo or any other roof at $1600 per month. I think we have an extreme need for the type of build that will service those folks, as well as seniors on fixed pensions. We turn our back to this and it's not right.

I really believe that there are people in Kelowna who are blind to the fact that not everyone was born into wealth, or has/had a cushy high 5 figure, or 6 figure salary through their working lives, or retired with a defined company pension. That leads them to feel a superiority to those who are blue collar workers who are struggling. We seem to concentrate on the truly wealthy side of the population, what they would like to see, what they want to see Kelowna become. We are lacking and that has happened with Basran at the helm, and our current council on the oars. He might not have started the way down this path, I think Walter Grey set that course, but Basran and most of his crew have certainly pointed their noses sky high on the housing issue as well.

There is a lot of bla bla bla about addressing this issue from time to time but nothing ever happens and I think that is what has annoyed me about Basran the most - he's a lot of hat and no cattle. Study after study, plan after plan, no follow-up, no change.

I am also sick and tired of this current council giving developers a "pass" to do whatever they want, whether they had approval for it or not. They don't hold anyone accountable, they just chastise for our benefit but that's all for show - the developer will never be told to take it down if it was built without permit! Again, that's just not right.

Just a couple of reasons I am not team Basran.
dle
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3326
Joined: Nov 14th, 2005, 12:29 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by dle »

@ Lady tehMa:


I agree that I wish we would hear more from bylaw guy. He seems pretty grounded from what I've seen but I want to him to elaborate a bit more - I don't need to hear the old typical smoke and mirrors schmooze - really sick of all that - but I would like to hear a few more of bylaw guy's ideas or thoughts.

Pot guy kind of seemed less grounded to me when I read he wants the mounties to be on more foot patrols - which I totally agreed with - but he wants them in their red serge as he thinks that will help them look more official. I would like them to have serious cushioned boots on the ground (good for running after perps) and a pair of sturdy handcuffs - save the red serge for "the pomp and circumstance show" which is what it is for. Looks great for sure - I feel proud when I see them in their serge - but it seemed to me a rather frivolous issue to put forth following on the heels of the serious one of needing more beat cops. Maybe he had just sparked up a fattie and was just funnin' with us on that one....
2x4eyes
Posts: 93
Joined: Jun 7th, 2017, 11:16 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by 2x4eyes »

When I attended the all candidates forum Oct. 2 in Rutland, this is what I found:

Basran - Answered quite often with 'I' and 'current council'...Skirted around quite a few of my questions...answers generally leaned completely towards the 'open for business' saying I've heard way too many times...business and development oriented...

Schewe - (aka 'bylaw guy') Seemed quite timid and not necessarily a people person - answered only a few of my questions while skirted around others...bylaw oriented but also pro-development/business...

Kennedy - answered all of my questions and I partly agreed with him on a few topics while completely agreed with him on others...very tactful...self motivated...not afraid to speak up against the 'status quo'...wants to hear and act on input from everyone rather than just business and development communities...

Dyas - Wasn't in attendance although he had several people manning his booth...
User avatar
Ken7
Guru
Posts: 8319
Joined: Sep 30th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by Ken7 »

giggly1 wrote:When I attended the all candidates forum Oct. 2 in Rutland, this is what I found:

Basran - Answered quite often with 'I' and 'current council'...Skirted around quite a few of my questions...answers generally leaned completely towards the 'open for business' saying I've heard way too many times...business and development oriented...

Schewe - (aka 'bylaw guy') Seemed quite timid and not necessarily a people person - answered only a few of my questions while skirted around others...bylaw oriented but also pro-development/business...

Kennedy - answered all of my questions and I partly agreed with him on a few topics while completely agreed with him on others...very tactful...self motivated...not afraid to speak up against the 'status quo'...wants to hear and act on input from everyone rather than just business and development communities...

Dyas - Wasn't in attendance although he had several people manning his booth...



Thanks for your summary of the candidates. I wished Kennedy would put something on the Mayors page as all other did. I like to read about them, what they have to offer and if they don't have that much interest in doing so, what will they bring to the table if voted in.

Thanks again, wished I'd been there. other counsel members some almost in my opinion are looking for a seat for personal reasons, which I do not think is what we need on counsel.
User avatar
vinnied
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3929
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:51 am

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by vinnied »

Candidates talk traffic
Colin Basran
We are currently developing a Transportation Master Plan that will consider and identify all projects needed over the next 20 years to create a cost-effective and sustainable transportation network for the future.


Are you kidding me. This guy has been saying forever to get out of your cars, that we should all move closer to our work so we can walk. Take transit, or bike. money is not going to be spent on infrastructure, so don't count on it
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
User avatar
Jflem1983
Guru
Posts: 5785
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 11:38 am

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by Jflem1983 »

vinnied wrote:Candidates talk traffic
Colin Basran
We are currently developing a Transportation Master Plan that will consider and identify all projects needed over the next 20 years to create a cost-effective and sustainable transportation network for the future.


Are you kidding me. This guy has been saying forever to get out of your cars, that we should all move closer to our work so we can walk. Take transit, or bike. money is not going to be spent on infrastructure, so don't count on it




Walking is sustainable. Pretty sure that is what he has in mind
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
2x4eyes
Posts: 93
Joined: Jun 7th, 2017, 11:16 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by 2x4eyes »

I'm all for long term strategic planning but 20 years is completely unrealistic...

Why not go for 10 years and make sure that the plan includes a mixture of transportation and infrastructure items that will be inclusive of all individuals in all walks of life? Even include maybe a few capital projects that could be of value to Kelowna and look into/seek funding for these? Maybe even actually include regular citizens in the planning process instead of just ramming things down their throats and expecting them to be happy about it....

WOW! What thoughts I have! :biggrin:
User avatar
vinnied
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3929
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:51 am

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by vinnied »

Jflem1983 wrote:

Walking is sustainable. Pretty sure that is what he has in mind

He also was going on about finishing road projects (north end connector) etc. Never gonna happen.
He has a strong belief that we are to blame for the annual fires and flooding. sure global warming is a problem, but let the auto industry take care of it. And they are well on the way to lowering emissions. Why punish the citizens of Kelowna. we all need to drive. Including him, whether he admits it or not
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Mtn Biker
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 992
Joined: Apr 11th, 2008, 1:22 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by Mtn Biker »

"Making unrealistic promises and saying anything to garner votes, leaving it all to figure out later with no clear vision is not a way to run our city. This Trump-style of politicking threatens to undo all the good work we have done together," said Basran. Hmmmmmmmmmm isn't that exactly how Hasruin won his purchased seat? If he could spell, how would he spell hypocrite??? Or two faced??
Politick18
Posts: 57
Joined: Sep 29th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by Politick18 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 11th, 2018, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not cross post please!
Mastercraft69
Fledgling
Posts: 103
Joined: May 8th, 2005, 8:50 am

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by Mastercraft69 »

No enough is enough if this guy..... all the back patting on what he has done on the homeless front is a laugh. I’ve attended several meetings with city officials and it’s a complete joke... he’s a perfect politician just keep talking talking talking.... it’s time for a change in Kelowma so we can enjoy walking downtown again ! He won’t get my vote when he runs for provincial politics either... come on voters pay close attention to the details this time!!
dle
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3326
Joined: Nov 14th, 2005, 12:29 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by dle »

here's an example why Colin Basran won't get my vote:

Colin Basran - Kelowna is a world-class city, with unbelievable natural beauty and desirable amenities. That’s why more and more people hope to call this place their home. With that in mind, If we don’t build more housing the prices will reach levels much higher than today. We can continue the unaffordable sprawl and destroy our green spaces or we can embrace density instead. The only responsible way to address housing affordability and traffic concerns is to encourage density in our town centres where people can live, work, and play in the same neighbourhood; imagine more areas like the Pandosy Village in the Lower Mission.

This, coming from the King of Skyrises, who is all for Westcorp building 35+ stories right on our lakefront and is behind other skyscrapers being built and already approved.....how many 35 story skyrises do you see in the Pandosy Village (ya, no me neither), yet this is the example he uses?! He picks a wonderful neighbourhood with NO skyscrapers to push his "we need density" all the while pushing for 35 stories while saying how lovely the part of town with NO skyscrapers is!

I would LOVE to see more areas like the Pandosy Village - you know, the one with NO skyscrapers - which is precisely why it is so great! I don't even like the thought that he even knows where Pandosy Village is - he might get it in his head to figure out where to built another B's B down there!
BoBillyBob
Posts: 78
Joined: Jan 14th, 2017, 11:40 am

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by BoBillyBob »

Exactly. And look at the debacle they approved with Central Green, on the corner of the highway and Richter. Away from the lake, yet downtown, the perfect location for skyrises. What were originally to be 20 story buildings, were instead approved by city council and the mayor at 5 story, low rise buildings. Ridiculous waste of prime property that could have housed sky rises, yet not hindered the lake. Yet the excuse the developer came up with was "Original plans for Central Green, developed after a long community consultation process, showed highrise towers of up to 20 storeys and more open space at ground level. But the developer says soil conditions and building constraints make such tall towers unfeasible, and in any event the city never set any minimum building heights when it opened Central Green for development." So the soil conditions over there a few blocks away from the lake were less able to hold high rises than the shelf of soil along the lake? BS. What a sorry excuse and it's absolutely wrong that our city council and mayor let this happen. All for densification and urban planning are they?

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/article_0595d192-0ad0-11e8-a1cb-3f13812076d1.html

dle wrote:here's an example why Colin Basran won't get my vote:

Colin Basran - Kelowna is a world-class city, with unbelievable natural beauty and desirable amenities. That’s why more and more people hope to call this place their home. With that in mind, If we don’t build more housing the prices will reach levels much higher than today. We can continue the unaffordable sprawl and destroy our green spaces or we can embrace density instead. The only responsible way to address housing affordability and traffic concerns is to encourage density in our town centres where people can live, work, and play in the same neighbourhood; imagine more areas like the Pandosy Village in the Lower Mission.

This, coming from the King of Skyrises, who is all for Westcorp building 35+ stories right on our lakefront and is behind other skyscrapers being built and already approved.....how many 35 story skyrises do you see in the Pandosy Village (ya, no me neither), yet this is the example he uses?! He picks a wonderful neighbourhood with NO skyscrapers to push his "we need density" all the while pushing for 35 stories while saying how lovely the part of town with NO skyscrapers is!

I would LOVE to see more areas like the Pandosy Village - you know, the one with NO skyscrapers - which is precisely why it is so great! I don't even like the thought that he even knows where Pandosy Village is - he might get it in his head to figure out where to built another B's B down there!
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2635
Joined: Nov 19th, 2010, 6:51 am

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by Gilchy »

dle wrote:here's an example why Colin Basran won't get my vote:

Colin Basran - Kelowna is a world-class city, with unbelievable natural beauty and desirable amenities. That’s why more and more people hope to call this place their home. With that in mind, If we don’t build more housing the prices will reach levels much higher than today. We can continue the unaffordable sprawl and destroy our green spaces or we can embrace density instead. The only responsible way to address housing affordability and traffic concerns is to encourage density in our town centres where people can live, work, and play in the same neighbourhood; imagine more areas like the Pandosy Village in the Lower Mission.

This, coming from the King of Skyrises, who is all for Westcorp building 35+ stories right on our lakefront and is behind other skyscrapers being built and already approved.....how many 35 story skyrises do you see in the Pandosy Village (ya, no me neither), yet this is the example he uses?! He picks a wonderful neighbourhood with NO skyscrapers to push his "we need density" all the while pushing for 35 stories while saying how lovely the part of town with NO skyscrapers is!

I would LOVE to see more areas like the Pandosy Village - you know, the one with NO skyscrapers - which is precisely why it is so great! I don't even like the thought that he even knows where Pandosy Village is - he might get it in his head to figure out where to built another B's B down there!


How tall is Sopa?

Return to “Civic Elections 2018”