Summerland Election Candidates?

Chewie1969

Re: Summerland Election Candidates?

Post by Chewie1969 »

The other candidate (Toni Boot) seemed rather "dazed and confused" , admittingly lost without her notes. Don't get me wrong...I like Toni Boot every time we make an exchange on the street, but for mayor? No thanks. :biggrin:

Boot looks at papers on her desk all the time in Chambers, and I really wonder what the heck is she really looking at? [icon_lol2.gif] You may have ran some businesses Boot, but as a Mayor for Summerland you are under qualified. You did not show any motivation or that you have gained real knowledge what being a representative to all tax payers, you only work for yourself and your friends and your fan club.

You have also gained quite the reputation in the community if someone disagrees with you, you can get quite angry and stubborn and you shut people out and ignore them. Have not seen an improvement over the 4 years. You are not willing to be more open to concepts or ideas that could benefit Summerland. You are stuck on this perpetual merry-go-round on this one thought and one thought only. It is quite transparent.

I will be voting Janet Peake for Mayor.
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

Boot has a fan club? :135:
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

Ian MacIntosh, former town planner for Summerland, has an excellent letter in the Herald about the Bootster. Clearly she is out of her depth and element and does not have nearly enough experience (or ?) for the job to which she aspires.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Unfortunately it seems many politicians become legends in their own minds and aspire to the next level, again validating the "Peter Principal"
I am not wealthy but I am rich
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

RandyDandy wrote:Ian MacIntosh, former town planner for Summerland, has an excellent letter in the Herald about the Bootster. Clearly she is out of her depth and element and does not have nearly enough experience (or ?) for the job to which she aspires.

Yes, that was a very good letter from Ian McIntosh.

Let's say an 80 year old man who has been farming his entire life on a Summerland farm that he has owned since the 60's (yes there are a few) and he wants to retire from farming and applies for a home-site severance (a process excluding a smaller lot from the ALR for a home site) that the ALR act allows senior farmers to do so they can spend their dying years still on the farm but no longer farming Toni Boot says she would oppose that.

Yes this is a rare example but Ian's point is valid. To blindly say you will oppose everything without knowing the facts of a given situation is not a wise public leader in my opinion.
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

The municipality already dashed the hopes of many elderly farmers some years ago when they caved to blackmail from the provincial gvt that if they didn't sign on to a situation where only 1 dwelling was allowed per hectare of farmland, the municipality would lose future funding for its sewer situation. So rather than fight for these residents, albeit old and in the way, the municipality just passed it on. A number of aged farmers saw the subdivision of their property go up in smoke. Kind of like retroactive abortion. No, you CAN retire but you have to sell your property first. The Bootster's stance on ALR removal would be a further slap in the face for anyone who has farmland. Thank you Toni, but no thanks.
oldboy

Post by oldboy »

Ms Boot has no idea of what it takes to be a Councillor,let alone being the leader as a Mayor! Ian's letter sums it up in regards to her understanding or lack there of when it comes to community planning!! Being a Mayor takes more leadership and understanding,than what has been doled out by the current CAO to Peter W and his current Council!! She has no idea and has shown that at the table in the past 4 years!!
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

I'm interested in the fact that Barkwill seconded Holmes motion to reject the 25% pay increase for mayor and councillors but when it came to a vote he voted FOR the increase. Anyone know what happened there?
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

No clue.
But, I am disappointed in the way a certain "moderator" (Darren Sweet) is running a facebook page called Summerland Politics.
Check it out.....he's critisizing and deleting any link to this group, claiming the info here is shoddy when in fact this group is heads and tails above the facebok page.
And if you don't support Toni Boot then you're gone from his group and your posts are either removed or altered.
Darren Sweet.....you need to get a REAL job like everyone else. . Or are you thinking Toni Boot is going to hire you for your biased efforts thinking you're the reason she may get elected. [icon_lol2.gif]
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

Rather hoping that Janet Peake will be able to put a stop to or reverse the burgeoning executive hiring Frenzy at city hall.
Bruce Halquist says 8 so far and I have little doubt that he is correct with that figure. 7 million dollars for wages and benefits seems a tad rich for looking after less than 11 thousand people. A la CAO, we need more computer pushers.
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

Well folks....it's all over now. Summerland can expect no growth these next 4 years, never mind the fact that our infastructure is the laughing stock of the valley, Roads are becoming beyond repair.....not to mention someone hit a power pole on Giants Head Rd last year and knocked out a whole power grid for hours. It was that easy. lol Oh well, having experience meant nothing to the Boot voters. At least the dazed and confused one that "can't find my notes" will have lots of opposition. :)
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Political divisiveness is nothing new to Summerland. I'm encouraged that there is some balance coming back into council chambers to counter the dominance of the no-growth faction, and equally encouraged that Peter Waterman has been shown the door. His presence has been toxic from the get-go. There's nothing wrong with lofty ideals, but when they control the agenda to the point that the daily chores aren't getting done then something is out of whack.

Marty Van Alphen will be a welcome voice of reason, I just hope that his business sense and experience are given the ear they deserve by the incumbents and that they will be mature enough to leave their personal junk at home where it belongs.

Past council's handling of things like the disposition of the old RCMP Station property revealed a serious lapse of real-world judgement and was a big opportunity for Summerland to show some leadership in the housing dilemma facing towns all over. There was some encouraging talk of pocket neighbourhoods and family housing when the property became available, it could have been a great model for others to work from. The property sold for about $750,000 if I remember correctly, and in the absence of any forethought in the form of restrictive covenants to ensure the nature of the project, it was back on the market in a few months for three times the amount. Way to go bozos.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Civic Elections 2018”