Post by Lady tehMa »

"Sustainability"

That seems to be a big one this election
I haven't failed until I quit.
Mark1111
Board Meister

Re: Words I don't want to hear in the campaign

Post by Mark1111 »

"let me be clear"...aka let me unoriginal.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
2x4eyes

Post by 2x4eyes »

'Rutland transit loop' and 'My point is...' are among my favorites...

How often do you see the Mayor or a City Councillor on a bus? Do they even have a clue as to what happens on buses? Not likely...And the Rutland 'transit loop' is in the most inappropriate and ridiculous place possible...

I have lots of point to make to but I'm not gonna ramble for 1/2 an hour on the same topic :biggrin:
BoBillyBob

Post by BoBillyBob »

Colin Basran - As a father of two young children, safety has always been top priority! That’s why we're tackling safety issues head-on by hiring former RCMP Superintendent Bill McKinnon to work on a sustainable strategy to increase safety downtown and across Kelowna. His report will be released in November. We have a dedicated team of Bylaw, RCMP, first responder, and outreach workers working for the community. Since I became mayor, we have strengthened those groups by adding 16 RCMP officers, seven bylaw officers, 12 firefighters and 15 first-responder support positions...We’ve launched a ground-breaking, innovative Police & Crisis Team for suspected mental health calls and increased foot and bicycle patrols by RCMP and bylaw officers. We also continue to collaborate with IHA on improving the retrieval and disposal of the needles they distribute and have already implemented a better needle pickup program...But we won’t stop here. We plan to increase enforcement and also build on our intelligent repertoire of tactics. We will continue to address every safety issue directly, and do so responsibly
Politick18

Post by Politick18 »

"He's a Schewe-in." :admin:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm from the Okanagan

As in, I know more than anybody else out there.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

"The homeless are our brothers and sisters. They could be your son or daughter."

No they are not. I am not against helping them and providing supportive housing but I would never let my brother/sister/son/daughter become a junkie or homeless.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

"tinder dry"
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

And a lot of people don't even know what tinder is. One guy I know confused it with timber. During the forest fire season he said it was "timber dry".

But back to the election..... the homeless issue has become the elephant in the room. Everybody thinks that it's a bad thing and every candidate wants to "clean up the problem". In reality, most haven't got the faintest idea of what to do to solve the problem. They don't even know what the cause is.
Politick18

Post by Politick18 »

"Diversity in housing with wraparound services", social speak for an addict house coming to your neighbourhood.

"Journey Home", unless it's putting the addicts on a bus and returning them from whence they came.

The tail is wagging the dog at city hall. Change must happen for mayor and most of council.

Early voting starts today

A better balance for commerce and social needs are as follows.

Mayor - Tom Dyas

Council: Lindsay Bell; Kevin Bond; Mark Boyer; Greg Dahms; Charlie Hodge; Graeme James; Jeff Pattielli; Brad Sieben.

:up:
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Change? In the last election, change was the buzzword. And the election before that. I'm betting that in 4 years the buzzword will again be "change". You can change the faces on council and in the mayor's seat, but if they are all just front men and women for another bunch of developers who want us all to pay for their infrastructure.......... the game will remain the same.
Thebrewhouse
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Thebrewhouse »

“ I voted for Basran”

The funny thing is I did today, because no one else is qualified to do the job.

:130:
Thebrewhouse
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Thebrewhouse »

Need someone with thick skin and no nonsense mentality to run against Basran to actually make the “change” many of your ramble on about. Here are some of the platforms I would run on.

-Find new solutions to make Kelowna more appealing to young generations.
-Utilize current programs and grants to miminize homelessness.
-Contribute taxpayer money into “city maintenance and sustainability” rather than “city managing and creating”
-Keep small businesses from failing.

-Youth development programs to intergrate our next generation into our community/politics.
-Organize task groups to focus on emergency response and unexpected issues.
-Under proper management, Build a proper infrastructure to see Kelowna through the next 25 years.

-Council needs to be increased to at least 10 councilors because of our growing city.
-Arts and Entertainment (focus on community events)
-Sustainability of our beaches and lake ( invasive mussels, private property owners limiting access)
-Tourism (invest heavily)
-Agriculture lands to be protected.
-Negotiate better with our provincial government for more funds and programs.
-Elevate the drug problem by increasing policing.
-Tell big developers to pay up or build elsewhere.

:130: :biggrin:

Return to “Civic Elections 2018”