Facts on new firehall

TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Facts on new firehall

Post by TylerM4 »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#239538

Matt are you really this out of touch with residents? Most residents support the idea of a new firehall. We know it's old, we know it's too small, we know the community has grown. What we don't understand is the 6.6 Million dollar price tag.

Couple of years ago I built a large detected garage big enough to hold a couple of full sized fire trucks. 12' ceilings, Well insulated, paved driveway, windows, big doors with automatic openers, over-thick concrete floors, heated and cooled, etc It cost a little under $100,000. Now I know you need room for more than 2 trucks, and a firehall likely has additional requirements, etc. But yeesh - 6.5Million more?

Long story short Matt - people support the idea, they don't support the price tag. Help us understand why it's so expensive to build if you want support, hearing about how we'll pay back the loan isn't going to gain you much.
squash junky
Fledgling

Re: Facts on new firehall

Post by squash junky »

Yep, agree.
For me it is the distrust of the present mayor. A 9 million+ total price tag is out of this wold.
Hopefully, it is voted down and Barry is elected and we can do a fresh start with somebody who (hopefully) appreciates the value of a dollar.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Wasn't the entire NEW hockey arena 7 million?

Are we giving them an arena sized hall?
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

All you need to do is look at the DLC Municipal building and you'll get a good idea why the firehall is going to set us back 6.5 Million... it too will be total overkill for what our community actually needs.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

TylerM4 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-239538-10-.htm#239538

Matt are you really this out of touch with residents? Most residents support the idea of a new firehall. We know it's old, we know it's too small, we know the community has grown. What we don't understand is the 6.6 Million dollar price tag.

Couple of years ago I built a large detected garage big enough to hold a couple of full sized fire trucks. 12' ceilings, Well insulated, paved driveway, windows, big doors with automatic openers, over-thick concrete floors, heated and cooled, etc It cost a little under $100,000. Now I know you need room for more than 2 trucks, and a firehall likely has additional requirements, etc. But yeesh - 6.5Million more?

Long story short Matt - people support the idea, they don't support the price tag. Help us understand why it's so expensive to build if you want support, hearing about how we'll pay back the loan isn't going to gain you much.

totally agree what you and I with a little more realistic expectations and using a few private non union contractors etc etc
one could build this deal for 1/2 of what they purpose, its ridiculous as all government projects are weather they be civic provincial or Federal
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

A half? Nah, a quarter. Maybe a tenth.
obtunded

Post by obtunded »

The bigger question is why have one at all? Fire departments thrive and expand based upon irrational fears that fires are commonplace, and the consequences are dire. In reality, serious fires are exceedingly rare, and the costs of pre-positioning fire apparatus far exceeds the costs of potential damage. Multi million dollar trucks and multi-million dollar halls represent little more than a night lamp to those whose fear causes them to irrationally support overwhelmingly idle fire fighting infrastructure.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I hope they put a uni-SEX room in it so we don't have to read about the Chiefs desk being violated.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Chyren wrote:Wasn't the entire NEW hockey arena 7 million?

Are we giving them an arena sized hall?

Are you talking about current home of Vernon Vipers, that was $15 million (it opened in 2001, cost more today).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

All building cost the same per square foot, right? Hockey rinks, fire halls, all of them. See how simple it is to be a critic of gumment spending?
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

bob vernon wrote:All building cost the same per square foot, right? Hockey rinks, fire halls, all of them. See how simple it is to be a critic of gumment spending?

LOL a arena hardly costs the same as a fire hall A arena (my opinion) would/does cost twice what a fire hall costs or more
:130:
taxpayer

Post by taxpayer »

Apparently District of Lake Country budget considerations for 2019 just posted on the DLC website propose a tax increase for next year of 8.7%
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

taxpayer wrote:Apparently District of Lake Country budget considerations for 2019 just posted on the DLC website propose a tax increase for next year of 8.7%

thats extreme for sure but remember thats only on the city portion not the school side which is over 50% of a property tax notice

Return to “North Okanagan”