Civic Election here we come!

dle
Lord of the Board

Re: Civic Election here we come!

Post by dle »

@ Omnitheo wrote:

You are not entitled to dictate what is done with your tax dollars. You elect people to make those decisions for us collectively. As for those tax dollars, only 50 cents across 4 years is going to this study. I’m amazed you feel so worked up and so entitled over your 50 cents. As for the private sector, every corporation I have ever worked for has given out employee satisfaction and engagement surveys. If your private sector job isn’t providing you with the satisfaction you wish for or the means to express your concerns, you may wish to look elsewhere for employment.

Again Omnitheo, you are missing the very large point. Also, out of curiosity, WHY do you feel we need to know, as a City, and BE WILLING TO PAY FOR knowing how ONLY CIVIC EMPLOYEES feel about THEIR job? Are you perhaps a City employee?

Yes, I actually AM entitled to say where I want my tax dollars spent - it's called voting - a little thing going on today. If there is spending going on that someone feels doesn't merit the allocation, we vote against the people who are for it.

Yes, I DO elect these people to make these types of decisions for me (and you) - SOUND decisions for us collectively - not frivilous, wasteful, decisions.

Tell me, what good does it do the rest of the population in Kelowna to know our civic employees are happy with their nice pensions to look forward to, and their many vacations (paid) to look forward to etc? wHAT do we get for our tax dollar out of that? Is it going to put more food on my table? Give me a pension? Up my paid holidays? Get us more police/firefighters? Clean up downtown, build us new roads, get the bypass going etc etc etc..... I am sure they are all very nice people, and treat the public they serve very kindly, but they ARE NOT entitled to receive extra perks ON MY TAX DOLLAR that I cannot access the benefit of myself!!

It does NONE of the rest of us any good whatsoever to know whether the staff at City Hall are happy or unhappy with their job - NONE therefore our tax dollars should not be spent on it - not one thin dime!

TAX dollars are to be allocated for the good of the ENTIRE city - not just a select few.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Workplace surveys are done to ensure that the workforce is happy, because a happy workforce is a productive workforce. I’m not exactly sure how this is a controversial topic…
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Gilchy wrote:Workplace surveys are done to ensure that the workforce is happy, because a happy workforce is a productive workforce. I’m not exactly sure how this is a controversial topic…

It's only controversial because THIS PARTICULAR 'survey' was to be paid with $70,000.00 of our TAX MONEY. The City, as a workplace, is not privately held, therefore cannot use it's coffers for things that do not benefit the City. It is NOT the same as any other local, non-governmental, business deciding to do a happiness/satisfaction survey. THEY would be using their own money and if that's how they choose to spend it that's entirely up to them. The CITY doing it, however, is using OUR money, our tax dollars, and that is where the problem is.
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

I'm disappointed with our news media for their comments & coverage for Bobby Kennedy in his run up for the Mayor as though he didn't have anything worthwhile to offer our City ?

IMO he is in the know of how to run things & I hope he comes out the winner.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

one wheel wrote:I'm disappointed with our news media for their comments & coverage for Bobby Kennedy in his run up for the Mayor as though he didn't have anything worthwhile to offer our City ?

IMO he is in the know of how to run things & I hope he comes out the winner.

I voted for Bobby. *removed* No more rainbows
Last edited by ferri on Oct 20th, 2018, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Potentially libelous.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

fz6adventure wrote:
Omnitheo wrote: As for those tax dollars, only 50 cents across 4 years is going to this study. I’m amazed you feel so worked up and so entitled over your 50 cents.

I would certainly love to see the math on this one .....LOL

$70,000/140,000 people = $0.5
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

dle wrote:
Gilchy wrote:Workplace surveys are done to ensure that the workforce is happy, because a happy workforce is a productive workforce. I’m not exactly sure how this is a controversial topic…

It's only controversial because THIS PARTICULAR 'survey' was to be paid with $70,000.00 of our TAX MONEY. The City, as a workplace, is not privately held, therefore cannot use it's coffers for things that do not benefit the City. It is NOT the same as any other local, non-governmental, business deciding to do a happiness/satisfaction survey. THEY would be using their own money and if that's how they choose to spend it that's entirely up to them. The CITY doing it, however, is using OUR money, our tax dollars, and that is where the problem is.

Once again, you’re entitlement to what is done with your tax dollars ends with your vote. You are paying taxes to live here. It is your membership fee. What the government does with that money is then up to them based on the needs of the government. Same as any private organization. You buying some French fries at McDonalds does not then entitle you to dictate how McDonald’s spends their money or gives you the entitlement to dictate that they shouldn’t spend a small fraction of that on employee surveys.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Omnitheo wrote:Once again, you’re entitlement to what is done with your tax dollars ends with your vote. You are paying taxes to live here. It is your membership fee. What the government does with that money is then up to them based on the needs of the government. Same as any private organization. You buying some French fries at McDonalds does not then entitle you to dictate how McDonald’s spends their money or gives you the entitlement to dictate that they shouldn’t spend a small fraction of that on employee surveys.

I learned something today, I did not realize being a citizen required upkeep and good standing in the form of a membership fee. Somewhat contrary to "The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable." but oh well!

If you don't like the way McDonalds spends their money then you have the option of not buying any french fries. It does not take long, and you certainly don't have to wait 4 years, for McDonalds to change their ways. The rub is you have a choice with McDonalds, you don't in local government once some small brain puppet becomes elected continuing to go in a direction not wanted by a large number of patrons.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I had to check my ballot a few times. It was hard to avoid voting for a single incumbant. I found a way though. This current lot can not leave fast enough. They have done so much damage to our city. Not one of them deserve the job . I voted for change. Bag of hammers be as smart as current leadership.

Heres the issues. Crime. Drugs and traffic. Figure it out
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Omnitheo wrote:As for those tax dollars, only 50 cents across 4 years is going to this study. I’m amazed you feel so worked up and so entitled over your 50 cents.

I want my money back
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

fz6adventure wrote:
Omnitheo wrote:As for those tax dollars, only 50 cents across 4 years is going to this study. I’m amazed you feel so worked up and so entitled over your 50 cents.

I want my money back

ditto
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

@ Omnitheo says:

Once again, you’re entitlement to what is done with your tax dollars ends with your vote. You are paying taxes to live here. It is your membership fee. What the government does with that money is then up to them based on the needs of the government. Same as any private organization. You buying some French fries at McDonalds does not then entitle you to dictate how McDonald’s spends their money or gives you the entitlement to dictate that they shouldn’t spend a small fraction of that on employee surveys.

arghh! :dash:
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

Getting read for the vote results...

popcorn ready, check
ice cold beer, check
cheese and crackers, check

hope and praying for REAL CHANGE

I did my due diligence, voted for a clean sweep on council, now it is up to the voters to see if they also want new faces on council.....

getting ready to be disappointed....
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

good chance, sad but true
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Sickened by the election results. Who would vote for an incumbant. Yall should be embarrassed

Return to “Civic Elections 2018”