Change in West Kelowna?

guxcon

Change in West Kelowna?

Post by guxcon »

We will be seeing a change in the Mayor's chair this election, will we see change in Council seats as well? I see a few challengers that I believe have the potential to be positive additions. Your thoughts?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Change in West Kelowna?

Post by Urbane »

guxcon wrote:We will be seeing a change in the Mayor's chair this election, will we see change in Council seats as well? I see a few challengers that I believe have the potential to be positive additions. Your thoughts?
I wasn't able to get to the all-candidates forum last night so I'm looking forward to hearing more from the candidates, perhaps even on here. I know that Stephen Johnston did surprisingly well when running for mayor last time and maybe he'll get my vote for council this time. I'd like to know from each of the candidates what they like about the direction of our city and what they don't like.

What are the good things that the present council has done and what are things that should be changed? I was surprised to read that Mary Mandarino, at the all-candidates forum last night, didn't have an answer for that question. If you want my vote you have to be able to answer that question in some form.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Judging from attendance at the all-candidates forum interest in West Kelowna is high. However, judging from the lack of posts on here interest appears to be low. There are some fresh faces vying for the council seats and of course there will be a new mayor and a new school trustee.

I'm leaning toward one of the trustee candidates but am still not sure. Desrosiers or Vernon-Jarvis? As for council, lots to think about there. Opinions? Anyone? My wife and I plan on voting at the advance poll this coming Wednesday so that's why I've got my list of chosen candidates written down . . . in pencil . . . ready to make late changes.
heather yeats
Fledgling

Post by heather yeats »

Tonight there is a Council Candidates Only forum at 6:40 pm
Westside Alliance Church on Daimler Drive _ Opposite Neil Bruce Middle School

With 16 council candidates , they need to be heard so we can get a better idea of them and their thoughts. The Q & A session should be very interesting.
Mayoral and School Trustee Candidates will be there for the meet and greet after the forum.

Please send this info out to all your contacts so we get a good attendance. Arranging it over Thanksgiving weekend was a trial!!
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

My wife and I voted earlier today in the advance poll. There were certainly others there voting but it was light. Anyone else wanting to vote in the advance poll today can do so until 8:00 p.m. at the Westbank Community Centre on Main Street.
AltaRed
Fledgling

Post by AltaRed »

Voted in the Advance Poll today as well and the folks there said traffic was light. Doesn't necessarily mean much though given yet another Advance Poll next week, etc. I really do want to see some fresh new faces on Council.

While incumbents, especially those from the early days of being a new municipality, have done well to bring us to where we are today, it is time for a number of fresh thoughts and eyes to at least 'test' current direction. My company used to move people in positions of influence fairly regularly to help prevent getting 'blinders' on and settling into 'this is the way we do things'.

A new mayor and ~3 new councilors would bring new ideas to the table, with incumbents there to help prevent making mistakes over and over again.
guxcon

Post by guxcon »

Thank you to the organizers of the candidate’s forum last night. Too bad it was on such short notice and the turnout was scarce compared to the first forum. It was great to be able to observe the candidates speak for more than 90 seconds! I was particularly impressed by the young men who are running. More than any previous election I believe we may actually see some new faces around the table this fall.
guxcon

Post by guxcon »

I am guessing that the answer is YES?
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Glad to see fresh faces on the council. Hopefully they can come up with a unified vision for our city.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

Those "fresh faces" are all business-class businessmen looking to hand this city over to developers.

I can't say I'm surprised.

I can say I'm disappointed.
AltaRed
Fledgling

Post by AltaRed »

We need 'smart' development to expand the tax base. Otherwise, we will simply become another backwater among other backwaters. We at least need to be competitive with WFN to attract more tourist commercial destinations along the waterfront and taking back the beaches for the public.

Return to “Civic Elections 2018”