Re: Election Results

Post by Lady tehMa »

Makes me wonder what percentage of turnout we actually had :135:
I haven't failed until I quit.
SteWe
Fledgling

Post by SteWe »

Anonymous123 wrote:Does anyone know how many people voted in the Kelowna election?

The results were posted live on the city website and were being updated as the returns came in. They did a good job of that. Here's the final numbers: https://www.kelowna.ca/city-hall/city-government/election-and-voting/past-election-results/11
Giardinera1
Fledgling

Post by Giardinera1 »

the truth wrote:4 more years of *bleep* , :swear: 4 more years of out of control crime in kelowna :swear:

In the interest of "Truth" ... Can we get some truth around the wild crime stats thrown around this election? In various conversations, I think I heard Dyas and other candidates claim Kelowna was #4, #5 and even #1 in terms of Canadian crime rates per city. This is simply not true. Kelowna is currently #34 based on Maclean's widely regarded crime index. This is a downward trend.

What is true is the gap between rich and poor has increased. Wages above 100K have increased, widening the gap between the very rich, and the very poor. So yes, visible poverty has increased, homelessness has increased, but if we're to draw a corollary line between crime statistics, and what we're seeing on the streets, than let's not cherry pick - let's talk about all crime in this index. The largest spike in crime is fraud. A pretty extreme # compared the other crimes listed here. And this is just a measure of those who have been caught. There's very wealthy people in this community. Do you really think they've earned every penny fairly? That they pay their legal share of taxes?

A few years ago, when I worked in the office of a prominent developer, I stumbled upon a case file. Turns out, he spent some time in prison for fraud. White collar, high level fraud in Alberta. There, he made some associates. These people continue to own multiple properties in this town. They continue to contract one another's services. They go off book as much as they can. They use workers from temp agencies, so they don't have to create permanent jobs. They maximize profits for themselves, pay as little as possible, don't pay overtime. They then advocate for less taxes - cuts to the taxes that provide social services for their workers who get injured on the job because of the corners they cut around safety. Workers who are then prescribed painkillers by family doctors, without being adequately warned about how addictive they are.

Stop bitching about a few stragglers sleeping on the streets downtown and target the real criminals. The people who want to turn this town into their own playground, who play by different rules, whose crimes have a far greater financial impact on our society and growing inequality, than some petty BnEs or property theft.

https://www.macleans.ca/canadas-most-dangerous-places/
Attachments
1.JPG
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

SteWe wrote:
Anonymous123 wrote:Does anyone know how many people voted in the Kelowna election?

The results were posted live on the city website and were being updated as the returns came in. They did a good job of that. Here's the final numbers: https://www.kelowna.ca/city-hall/city-government/election-and-voting/past-election-results/11

Here's the link to the number of voters from the above website:
https://www.kelowna.ca/city-hall/city-g ... on-results
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
MUSTAFALEEK

Post by MUSTAFALEEK »

A recent poll on Castanet said that over 60% of people believe crime in Kelowna is definitely getting worse. The people of Kelowna voted for the same mayor and mostly the same councilors as before.

If the crime rate is getting worse with these people in control, why did you vote them in again?

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
MUSTAFALEEK

Post by MUSTAFALEEK »

Omnitheo wrote:Happy with the results so far. Not at all surprised.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Giardinera1
Fledgling

Post by Giardinera1 »

MUSTAFALEEK wrote:A recent poll on Castanet said that over 60% of people believe crime in Kelowna is definitely getting worse. The people of Kelowna voted for the same mayor and mostly the same councilors as before.

If the crime rate is getting worse with these people in control, why did you vote them in again?

Thank goodness the national crime index is based on measurable facts, rather than the hysterical feelings of Castanet users.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

MUSTAFALEEK wrote:If the crime rate is getting worse with these people in control, why did you vote them in again?

What do you actually expect council to do?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:
According to site on Castanet the numbers for just mayor added up to 31,814

Here is a link: https://www.castanet.net/civicvote2018/results/

Bsuds wrote:I'm sure there are some who didn't vote for a Mayor as well so while that might be close it's not accurate.

Feel free to add up the numbers for city council members, to get a total there.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Equals a really sh :cuss: y turnout at the polling stations... 33% of the possible voters.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:Feel free to add up the numbers for city council members, to get a total there.

How can that work when each voter can voter for "up to" 8 candidates?

I only voted for 3 as did my wife.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Feel free to add up the numbers for city council members, to get a total there.

Bsuds wrote:How can that work when each voter can voter for "up to" 8 candidates?

I only voted for 3 as did my wife.

Since DocStress posted a link from election BC, we know how many Kelowna residents actually voted. What a sad amount that is
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I knew what the numbers were but I was questioning the way you were suggesting to add it up. It just wouldn't work that way.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote:I knew what the numbers were but I was questioning the way you were suggesting to add it up. It just wouldn't work that way.

That's why I only added up the votes for mayor, since it's not multiple choice.

Return to “Civic Elections 2018”