Joe Rich Developers

Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: Joe Rich Developers

Post by Barney Google »

Able wrote:...
The issue is whether the majority of Joe Rich residents want to open the door to increased development in the area...

This section of the post made by Able is intriguing.

Do JR residents want increased development and if so in what areas?

Increased development in infrastructure for water and sewage are financially and geographically, for the most part,

out of the question.

Increased residential density is not feasible because of the water and sewage issues that currently exist adding to that

will only exacerbate the problem and issues AND will end up affecting Kelowna.

All farmers and plumbers know what "runs down hill" - often times at an alarming rate.

Increase in Fire Department amenities? The current residents would without a doubt be in support of that but

JR is already one of the highest taxed areas for it's FD services - can the Community or more importantly does it

have the will to take on an increase in taxes to get further coverage?

Speaking frankly, and from witnessed accounts, the JR FD gets far more calls out to cover accidents on the Hwy than

it does to address fire related issues in the Community.

Of those accidents a goodly portion of them appear to be people traveling through JR on their way

to Big White and or beyond.

SIDE BAR: Its always gotten in my personal craw that Big White is not included in the JR catchment

because most folks visiting, conducting business and or living at Big White are far more an impact on JR and Kelowna

than the Kootneys. If JR had Big White contributing to taxes that would have a huge impact on the Community.

Do the good citizens of JR want to see improvements to their Community Hall and recreational areas?

Probably...but again, what will that do to the taxes to those payers?

Increase residential density and that would increase tax income...that is the question.

Do the folks of Joe Rich want to change their current bylaws to allow for this?

Given the numerous residents responses expressed at a recent RDCO public hearing on the subject...it appears not.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Able
Fledgling

Post by Able »

Barney Google wrote:
Able wrote:...
The issue is whether the majority of Joe Rich residents want to open the door to increased development in the area...

This section of the post made by Able is intriguing.

Do JR residents want increased development and if so in what areas?

Increased development in infrastructure for water and sewage are financially and geographically, for the most part,

out of the question.

Increased residential density is not feasible because of the water and sewage issues that currently exist adding to that

will only exacerbate the problem and issues AND will end up affecting Kelowna.

All farmers and plumbers know what "runs down hill" - often times at an alarming rate.

Increase in Fire Department amenities? The current residents would without a doubt be in support of that but

JR is already one of the highest taxed areas for it's FD services - can the Community or more importantly does it

have the will to take on an increase in taxes to get further coverage?

Speaking frankly, and from witnessed accounts, the JR FD gets far more calls out to cover accidents on the Hwy than

it does to address fire related issues in the Community.

Of those accidents a goodly portion of them appear to be people traveling through JR on their way

to Big White and or beyond.

SIDE BAR: Its always gotten in my personal craw that Big White is not included in the JR catchment

because most folks visiting, conducting business and or living at Big White are far more an impact on JR and Kelowna

than the Kootneys. If JR had Big White contributing to taxes that would have a huge impact on the Community.

Do the good citizens of JR want to see improvements to their Community Hall and recreational areas?

Probably...but again, what will that do to the taxes to those payers?

Increase residential density and that would increase tax income...that is the question.

Do the folks of Joe Rich want to change their current bylaws to allow for this?

Given the numerous residents responses expressed at a recent RDCO public hearing on the subject...it appears not.

It will be interesting to see whether any bylaw and constitution changes proposed get circulated to the residents, reviewed, explained and voted on in accordance with the rules concerning proposed changes. I am not certain this will happen given the present representation on the various committees involved.
Sometimes you eat the bear.....sometimes the bear eats you.
Able
Fledgling

Post by Able »

It is time for Joe Rich residents to wake up to what is occurring under their noses and to get involved in their community and how it is administered. The apathy of the residents is coming home to roost in the form of people in positions of power who seem to no longer serve the best interests of the community....they appear to be serving their own interest or the interests of those lobbyists that have their ear. Everyone in the community, myself included, should be embarrassed by this state of affairs. There are also some very good people on various committees but they are rapidly being either ignored or sidelined by individuals that bulldoze their way through contentious issues with little regard for others opinions. George Orwells line in the book Animal Farm pretty much sums it up with the phrase " all animals equal... but some animals are more equal than others".

Joe Rich can no longer be a sleepy little community depending on the assumed goodwill of those that sit on the various committees. There are over four thousand residents being dictated to by a handful of mostly unelected office holders who in some cases have forgotten that they are supposed to act in the best interests of the community.

Pay attention to the new proposed changes to the constitution and the bylaws...demand proper disclosure and explanation..show up at community meetings and make your voices heard...ask the hard questions and demand truthful answers.

They say that the people get the government they deserve...Joe Rich is an excellent example of that.
cbeyre

Post by cbeyre »

I think there may be some confusion as to which bylaws are being amended. The Joe Rich Rate Payer's and Tenant's Society (JRRATS) is updating its SOCIETY bylaws per the requirements of the new Societies Act (https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/empl ... transition). The Society’s Bylaws and Constitution must be filed under the New Act by November 28, 2018. The mandate of the Joe Rich Rate Payer's and Tenant's Society is set out in the constitution. The JRRATS bylaws, in conjunction with the Society Act, dictate how the society operates, what constitutes membership etc.

The Joe Rich Rural Land Use Bylaw is a Regional District of Central Okanagan bylaw that deals with land use planning, subdivision and zoning/rezoning (https://www.regionaldistrict.com/your-s ... bylaw.aspx). Only governments have control over land use bylaws and JRRATS is not a government body. Joe Rich is represented by Mark Bartyik at the Regional Board and he is who should be contacted with any concerns about regional government/land use issues and concerns.

The current society bylaws and constitution have been uploaded to the societies website since February, prior to the March 2018 discussion and vote on proposed changes to the bylaws and constitution. The latest version of the proposed bylaws was uploaded to the website on Friday, once the draft had received legal review for compliance with the Society Act. These documents can be found here:
https://www.joerichsociety.com/constitution.html

The adopted meeting minutes for 2018 can also be found on the website if anyone is interested in reviewing earlier discussions regarding the society bylaw amendments.

The next general meeting is Wednesday, November 14 at 7:30. A notice of the meeting including copies of the current and proposed bylaws/constitution will be mailed to members tomorrow. The proposed society bylaws will be reviewed and discussed by the community at the meeting. A vote on whether to adopt the proposed bylaws will follow the discussion.

Courtney Eyre
JRRATS President
[email protected]
Able
Fledgling

Post by Able »

Thank you for the information.

I have a question.....Am I correct in the reading of your post that the final proposed changes were posted on the site on the 19th.of this month and that the community must approve the changes and they must be filed by the 28th of next month?

Please let me know if this is indeed the case.
cbeyre

Post by cbeyre »

That is correct. The Society Bylaws require 14 days notice for these types of matters.

The proposed Society Bylaws will be reviewed and discussed with the community and then voted on for adoption by members at the upcoming General Meeting. If the proposed changes are not adopted by the community, the current constitution and bylaws will be re-organized to remove excess provisions from the constitution, placing them in the bylaws per the new Societies Act. In addition, it will be necessary to mark certain provisions as having been previously unalterable to be compliant. A general meeting and vote are not required to complete these changes. More information can be found here:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/emplo ... _guide.pdf
Able
Fledgling

Post by Able »

Thank you.

You mentioned that you had met with a lawyer regarding some community business...would you have gone to this meeting alone or would you normally take whatever advisors you think may be helpful during those discussions?
Able
Fledgling

Post by Able »

Able wrote:Thank you.

You mentioned that you had met with a lawyer regarding some community business...would you have gone to this meeting alone or would you normally take whatever advisors you think may be helpful during those discussions?

Hello

I would really appreciate an answer to my last question. You wrote earlier that you instigated and attended a meeting with a lawyer regarding community business and as a community member I would like to know who attended that meeting.

Please get back to me regarding this matter.
Able
Fledgling

Post by Able »

Ms. Eyre

Still waiting for an answer.
Valeksky

Post by Valeksky »

I'm sure she'll run to your Beck and Call.

in the meantime. the Old Facebook Cringefest delivers this worthy nugget that I believe will be of interest,*removed* but I'm sure you're aware now that you've joined (thumbs up):

"JRRATS (Joe Rich Rate Payers and Tenants Society) Executive Committee met last night.

We're happy to share that we'll be holding TWO community meetings in November. Having the hall packed full for both meetings would be fantastic!

Nov 14th 7:30pm - Explanation, Discussion and Modification of the Proposed New Bylaws. The goal being a document that is finalised to the community's satisfaction, for voting on Nov 18th.

Nov 18th 3pm - Vote on Proposed Bylaws.

As per our current constitution, attending the Nov 14th meeting OR having attended any other meeting in 2018/2017 makes you a society member and eligible to vote.

Copies of the current and proposed bylaws are being mailed/delivered/emailed to all registered meeting attendees for the past 4 years.

Those copies are also posted on the Joe Rich Society website for your review. In addition, copies of the mail out package will be available for pick up at the community hall by Friday at 6pm. They will be located in a blue bin near the front doors."
Last edited by ferri on Oct 27th, 2018, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Name removed
Able
Fledgling

Post by Able »

Able wrote:

Hello

I would really appreciate an answer to my last question. You wrote earlier that you instigated and attended a meeting with a lawyer regarding community business and as a community member I would like to know who attended that meeting.

Still Waiting Ms. Eyre
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Barney Google wrote:Increase in Fire Department amenities? The current residents would without a doubt be in support of that butJR is already one of the highest taxed areas for it's FD services - can the Community or more importantly does ithave the will to take on an increase in taxes to get further coverage?Speaking frankly, and from witnessed accounts, the JR FD gets far more calls out to cover accidents on the Hwy thanit does to address fire related issues in the Community. Of those accidents a goodly portion of them appear to be people traveling through JR on their wayto Big White and or beyond.

Quite true for most rural departments.
A provincial politician has never been able to answer these two questions, just deflection: Why can't fire departments bill ICBC Like tow truck drivers, RCMP and Ambulance when dealing with motor vehicle incidents?

Why does the hidden 2% tax one pays in their house insurance go into general revenue instead of the fire departments like it was intended to do?
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

seewood wrote:
Quite true for most rural departments.
A provincial politician has never been able to answer these two questions, just deflection: Why can't fire departments bill ICBC Like tow truck drivers, RCMP and Ambulance when dealing with motor vehicle incidents?

Why does the hidden 2% tax one pays in their house insurance go into general revenue instead of the fire departments like it was intended to do?

That be true, seewood!

The other piece and consideration is that most rural fire departments are made up of volunteers from within the rural community itself. They donate much of their time not only responding to these vehicle incidents but also in countless hours of training and practice in being prepared and ready. It’s a big commitment these folks make to their communities that ends up quite often ‘being there’ for folks passing through rural areas. There is no doubt no one would begrudge helping anyone in a time of need. I sure know there is not one JR Fire Department person who would. It’s in their nature. They are just built that way - people who are there to help in times of need no matter who a person is or where they come from. The rural communities very often further support their first responder and fire departments through fundraising efforts and donations.

Unfortunately, getting money out of ICBC, as some of us have experienced personally, is like trying to get the proverbial “blood out of a stone”.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Able
Fledgling

Post by Able »

Able wrote:

Hello

Hi Ms. Eyre

I can only assume you do not feel comfortable answering this question on this forum.Perhaps you will feel more at ease at the meeting on the 14th of this month...see you there!!Have a Great Day!

Return to “Civic Elections 2018”