Discovery of an old mortar round causes road closures.

obtunded

Discovery of an old mortar round causes road closures.

Post by obtunded »

I laughed out loud when i read this story... in north eastern France and in Flanders, first world war munitions, including very large high explosive, gas, and shrapnel munitions are churned up in the hundreds every year. These are placed (by the farmers) in wire baskets for pick-up at the side of the road by ordinance disposal teams that make the rounds. I guess in Canada, we suffer from having too many idiots to make this a reasonable course of action.
Happytobehere
Fledgling

Re: Discovery of an old mortar round causes road closures.

Post by Happytobehere »

Explosives have killed seven to 10 people in the Vernon area since the end of World War Two including two boy scouts. They do pose a risk and aren't a laughing matter.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

obtunded wrote:I laughed out loud when i read this story... in north eastern France and in Flanders, first world war munitions, including very large high explosive, gas, and shrapnel munitions are churned up in the hundreds every year. These are placed (by the farmers) in wire baskets for pick-up at the side of the road by ordinance disposal teams that make the rounds. I guess in Canada, we suffer from having too many idiots to make this a reasonable course of action.

The areas you are referring to are a small blip on the map of unexploded ordnance in Europe. France, just like any other European city evacuates people by the thousands, closes city blocks when live ordnance from WW1 or 2 are found and waits for special crews to come in and take care of the bomb/mortar. In the small area you are referring to, almost 400 people have died from unexploded ordnance in that small region alone.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

obtunded wrote:I laughed out loud when i read this story... in north eastern France and in Flanders, first world war munitions, including very large high explosive, gas, and shrapnel munitions are churned up in the hundreds every year. These are placed (by the farmers) in wire baskets for pick-up at the side of the road by ordinance disposal teams that make the rounds. I guess in Canada, we suffer from having too many idiots to make this a reasonable course of action.

I can see them marking off the small area the morter was found in but to cause the BS and huge road blockade etc et is trypical liberal society BS that we are forced to endure daily ;;its good to be safe but theses extreme over kills theses days cost us dearly in wasted tax resource dollars
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

OKkayak wrote:The areas you are referring to are a small blip on the map of unexploded ordnance in Europe. France, just like any other European city evacuates people by the thousands, closes city blocks when live ordnance from WW1 or 2 are found and waits for special crews to come in and take care of the bomb/mortar. In the small area you are referring to, almost 400 people have died from unexploded ordnance in that small region alone.

Similarly also in Vietnam & Cambodia, as with any war zone or military training area.
It is unfortunate that this areas continue to create casualties years &/or many decades later.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

It seems that a few people on this posting don't understand what liability is. I'm guessing they would have no problem being allowed to drive by or have their kids go by in a school bus while they're picking it up because they don't think it's very dangerous.?
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Happytobehere wrote:Explosives have killed seven to 10 people in the Vernon area since the end of World War Two including two boy scouts. They do pose a risk and aren't a laughing matter.

Do we know IF these person were killed as they tried to pull them apart, just stepped on them, or hit them with farm equipment?

Just curios as if they are on the surface do they cause any more danger then say a old 308 cartridge.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

I remember when we were kids, we had friends who lived right at Kick Willie Loop. It was just a field across the street with a wooden fence and tall grass. There were big warning signs there. Our parents warned us about there being live bombs there as it used to be a munitions practice range.

Fast forward and it became a new subdivision. I wondered about how much work they did to ensure it was safe.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/surviv ... story.html

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/news/article ... c/hnps1tm5
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

Return to “North Okanagan”