Goodbye Civic

southy
Lord of the Board

Goodbye Civic

Post by southy »

Just wanted to say goodbye to an old Vernon landmark with a lot of history. LIved in Vernon years ago and remember attending many a hockey game and lacrosse games there. The old barn would be rocking. Sorry to see it go.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Goodbye Civic

Post by bob vernon »

I remember walking into that rink in the old days and there was almost an electric atmosphere in the rink. A buzzing from the crowd, eager for the game to start.

Go to a junior game now and take a look at the crowd DURING THE GAME. You'll be amazed how many people aren't even watching the game and instead are texting on their phones. During the game.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

civic.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

southy wrote:Just wanted to say goodbye to an old Vernon landmark with a lot of history. LIved in Vernon years ago and remember attending many a hockey game and lacrosse games there. The old barn would be rocking. Sorry to see it go.

yes I went there when I was still in high school (50 years ago) it should have been torn down 10 years ago or more but the city wanted to waste many K of tax dollars on it first ;; kinda how government works is it not LOL :130:
keithers00

Post by keithers00 »

Spent the best part of 50 years enjoying activities at the Civic. Hard to see it go but we have a great new arena but with one exception. The bench seating is horrible on the body(seat) and site lines are very poor when others are seated below you and you are trying to see what is going on in either corners of the rink on the side the seats on on.
keithers00

Post by keithers00 »

Just thought I would mention that this site is likely the last one of it's size in the downtown area. My thought is it seems a no brainer that a new RCMP depot would be a great use of at least a portion of this land. The current location is far outdated and way to small.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

I remember going to the circus there when it came through town, first time I rode an elephant.

I'm hoping that some new (non 55+) apartments go in there.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

OKkayak wrote:I remember going to the circus there when it came through town, first time I rode an elephant.

I'm hoping that some new (non 55+) apartments go in there.

Great idea ok kayak! City could partner with a builder to construct apartments above the new RCMP station.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Curious ... Has anyone heard what the city has planned for this property? Sell it? Develope it? Let it sit vacant? I don't live in Vernon so not sure what the word on the street is.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

southy wrote:Curious ... Has anyone heard what the city has planned for this property? Sell it? Develope it? Let it sit vacant? I don't live in Vernon so not sure what the word on the street is.

Costco

[icon_lol2.gif]

Return to “North Okanagan”