Vernon Airport Helicopters

Ingevan22
Fledgling

Re: Vernon Airport Helicopters

Post by Ingevan22 »

You kids just won't give up! :up:

I did not move near an airport so I could complain, in fact I moved further away from the Vernon Airport than where I was previously living. So I am now 7km from the Vernon Airport, or about as far away from the Airport, as the main intersection of town, where airport noise is not a problem.

It turns out, that I live on the flight path for the Kelowna Airport, about which I am not complaining whatsoever. In fact, I find it highly entertaining, to see who's flying and where!

I am, however, located below Predator Ridge, who are now flying 4 Kingfisher helicopters low over our houses every morning and afternoon, with noise that shakes the windows, the whole house, and makes you wonder if we're living in a war zone, despite Predator Ridge's assurance that they would not be flying over any houses.

I pay for a business license so the City permits me to sit at my own computer in my own house to work. Surely I also have the right then, to conduct my business without nuisance noise? Good luck conducting a conference call while 70+ decibels of heli noise is assaulting you - my vacuum cleaner runs about 70dB and I also don't run it while I'm trying to work, because then I can't hear anything else either. Yep it is loud.

And.... in addition to not complaining on social media without first contacting those most likely able to affect change, I've also suggested a remedy in this very thread, which is the Noise Management committee, so residents can bring forward their concerns in a more constructive manner.

Would love to know what excellent suggestions you folks have, other than resorting to calling us whiners & complainers?
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Ingevan22 wrote:You kids just won't give up! :up:

Yes, us "kids" [icon_lol2.gif]
Ingevan22 wrote:So I am now 7km from the Vernon Airport

Ingevan22 wrote:I am, however, located below Predator Ridge

So, in other words, you live by the airport.

If you want less noise coming from the airport, and this is from a person who lived by the airport for 30 years, I suggest looking for a piece of property to the north or east of downtown, anything south or west of downtown is usually very active with airplanes and whirly birds :up:
Last edited by OKkayak on Dec 1st, 2018, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Seriously people .. I do believe there is more in the air than just helicopters. Vernon is relentless with it's bitching about .. Well just about everything.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Sorry, I ought to have realized, prior to moving farther from the Vernon Airport and closer to the Kelowna Airport, that Predator Ridge required a heliport!

I had a look at the map to see where one could live without helicopter nuisance. Hmmm… acreages in the BX, Silver Star, cherry farms… helis everywhere! [icon_lol2.gif]

Then I was reminded why I moved here - the wild beauty! Last night bear footprints at our backdoor, a bobcat on the trail cam, and of course, our view of Okanagan Lake is spectacular. I am indeed, lucky to live here.

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Ingevan22 wrote:Sorry, I ought to have realized, prior to moving farther from the Vernon Airport and closer to the Kelowna Airport, that Predator Ridge required a heliport!

So what does the heli-skiing business at Predator Ridge have to to do with the Vernon Airport?
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Heli traffic from the Vernon airport affects us too.

This new noise from PR has been brutal this week so we hope they can make a slight alteration to their flight pattern/speeds/etc.? Likely it's extra noisy here due to topography, as they're dropping down a steep cliff/rocky hillside towards the lake, and that sound then gets amplified by the natural rock amphitheatre behind our houses & cast over the lake?

outtawind
Fledgling

Post by outtawind »

Gman - I have a great job and built it myself. Even if you are a top surgeon in town I pay more in tax each 6 months than you make in a year.

Okyack (or whatever your handle is) - times change, being respectful does not. Flying military helicopters at low levels lover residential neighborhoods is not addressed by old bylaws - but that does not make it right. No one has approached council yet (read the posts). If the issue is not served by current bylaws then we will just begin the process of changing them. Many noise bylaws are out there (try reading rose as well so you do not sound so ignorant).
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

outtawind wrote:Flying military helicopters at low levels lover residential neighborhoods is not addressed by old bylaws - but that does not make it right.

I wasn't aware that Vernon has military air force base (Wow, learn something new every day), just cadet camp at south end of the city.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

outtawind wrote:BTW... fun fact... the Bombardier "Q400"... the "Q" stands for "Quiet"... they are also, not quiet.

BTW ... fun fact ... the "Quiet", which as you pointed out the "Q" stands for, is in regards to passenger comfort, not to people on the ground . By adding an Active Noise Suppression system to reduce the cabin noise and vibration. The 6 bladed props on the Q400 are quieter (both inside and out) then the older 4 bladed props and also vibrate less.

And yes, the Q series are noticeably quieter in the passenger cabin than their predecessors.
Last edited by OKkayak on Dec 2nd, 2018, 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

outtawind wrote:Okyack (or whatever your handle is)

If you can't take one and a half seconds to check someones name and spell it correctly, then obviously you won't take the time to actually stop and think how to handle your situation and even try and find a compromise. Just another NIMBY who did poor research when purchasing their home.

outtawind wrote: - times change, being respectful does not. Flying military helicopters at low levels lover residential neighborhoods is not addressed by old bylaws - but that does not make it right. No one has approached council yet (read the posts). If the issue is not served by current bylaws then we will just begin the process of changing them. Many noise bylaws are out there (try reading rose as well so you do not sound so ignorant).

Times do change, and you should have taken that into consideration. Cities grow as does airport traffic. As I said earlier, I've lived by that airport for 30 years, I've seen it grow and I've heard the increase in traffic from skydivers, to Kal Tire and Tolko with their Citations doing their run-ups and taking off at 5am in the morning, helicopter operators coming in with their old Bell twin bladed 212s, flight students from Kelowna flying in and practicing touch and go's at 2 in the morning.

If you haven't approached city council, then why not?
Last edited by OKkayak on Dec 2nd, 2018, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Ingevan22 wrote:Heli traffic from the Vernon airport affects us too.

And as long as you live there, it always well, because you live by an airport.
Ingevan22 wrote:This new noise from PR has been brutal this week so we hope they can make a slight alteration to their flight pattern/speeds/etc.? Likely it's extra noisy here due to topography, as they're dropping down a steep cliff/rocky hillside towards the lake, and that sound then gets amplified by the natural rock amphitheatre behind our houses & cast over the lake?

Then you need to talk to them about it, and if you live on their property, voice your concern with their strata or community council.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

You're not happy with urban noise? Move to Cherryville. You're pathetic.

Canadians have roads, clean water, fire and police protection, Medicare, schools, pensions and so much. The secret police don't come for you in the middle of the night. Yet some *bleep* and moan about everything and only want their taxes lowered (but not the services). What whiners.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

We lived beside a busy highway for the first 2 years we were in the Okanagan. It was very noisy because big trucks and jacked up F-350s would accelerate at all hours of the night, spewing dust and fumes into our house along with the noise. So we looked for a place on a quiet street, and moved. Problem solved.

In today's market, you can sell you home for a lot more than you paid for it. Do your research BEFORE finding your next place so you don't make the same mistake twice in a row.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I remember a number of years back a new member on this forum was b :cuss: ing & complaining about gun range near by their newly purchased home.
Always check what's in the neighbourhood beforehand (before purchasing) i.e airport, industrial zone, gun range etc... etc. Especially if you want it to be somewhat quiet.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Then you need to talk to them about it, and if you live on their property, voice your concern with their strata or community council.

Done & difference noted. Can't you hear my wheel squeaking from over here? :D

Return to “North Okanagan”