Vernon Airport Helicopters

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Vernon Airport Helicopters

Post by bob vernon »

Things were always better in the good old days. But you wanted growth. You got growth and the wealth that it brought. Move to Cherryville or deal with it.
ninetyninepct
Fledgling

Post by ninetyninepct »

Check out the minimum height requirements for flight over any habitable ( not inhabited ) building within 2000 ft of the helicopter. It used to be 1000 ft. Get the registration and pictures if possible, and file a complaint with Transport Canada.
outtawind
Fledgling

Post by outtawind »

OKkayak wrote:
outtawind wrote:Okyack (or whatever your handle is)

If you can't take one and a half seconds to check someones name... Just another NIMBY who did poor research when purchasing their home.

Your handle does not really matter to me... haha... yeah, NIMBY. Name-calling is a past-time of yours. First I needed to "get a job", then I needed "to contribute". Now - we're back at "NIMBY". This is like having a dialogue with the old balcony guy from the Muppet's. You go for the character assassination attempt when you are not good at factually supporting your arguments, eh yacky?

[quote="OKkayak"]As I said earlier, I've lived by that airport for 30 years.... Citations doing their run-ups and taking off at 5am in the morning, helicopter operators coming in with their old Bell twin bladed 212s, flight students from Kelowna flying in and practicing touch and go's at 2 in the morning.

Yeah... uh... so... you've been there "30 years" - and failed to notice that the citations do not do run-up until 7am? It is not 5am. 7am - no problem with that for me. The traffic is minimal - I support the skydivers, LOVE Tolko, Kal-tire, all that stuff. There are only a dozen flights a day out of this airport. I will not mind when there are 100 flights a day... 200 - who cares - they can all be Jets for all I care. They pass quickly and use the approach. It is when the helicopter operators fly the heavy craft, those are the issue.

BTW - a couple of times in the last week I have noticed that when the helicopters use the same approach path as the citations and other aircraft - the noise is SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER... it is not thumping the windows in the neighborhoods.

Because you are easily confused - let me say again - the purpose I am discussing this in the forum is to learn more... see who in the community has an opinion.

1 - identify whether there is a problem.
2 - gather information to consider.
3 - present amicable solutions.

Stay with us here Yacks, we are at steps #1 and #2... I know... really flies in the face of your "all this b**ing by NIMBY's" attitude... must be painful to deal with someone applying logic.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

outtawind wrote:Your handle does not really matter to me... haha... yeah, NIMBY. Name-calling is a past-time of yours. First I needed to "get a job", then I needed "to contribute". Now - we're back at "NIMBY". This is like having a dialogue with the old balcony guy from the Muppet's. You go for the character assassination attempt when you are not good at factually supporting your arguments, eh yacky?

LOL! Where did I tell ya to "go get a job?" :laugh:

As for factually supporting my arguments, I already had to correct your "facts" twice. Capisce there "muppet"? You should really back up your claims before going on such a juvenile rant. But your little temper tantrum just confirms my previous post :up:

outtawind wrote:Yeah... uh... so... you've been there "30 years" - and failed to notice that the citations do not do run-up until 7am? It is not 5am. 7am - no problem with that for me.

LOL! OK, if you say so. Citations come in and out a lot earlier than 7am there "muppet", as well as Medivac's and other private charters :up:
outtawind wrote:BTW - a couple of times in the last week I have noticed that when the helicopters use the same approach path as the citations and other aircraft - the noise is SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER... it is not thumping the windows in the neighborhoods.

Again, helicopters use different approach paths than fixed wings for various reasons, conflicting traffic, etc.
outtawind wrote:Because you are easily confused - let me say again - the purpose I am discussing this in the forum is to learn more... see who in the community has an opinion.

News flash for ya, not everyone will agree with your opinion and the opinions they share might not suit your personal agenda :up:
outtawind wrote:1 - identify whether there is a problem.
2 - gather information to consider.
3 - present amicable solutions.

Stay with us here Yacks, we are at steps #1 and #2... I know... really flies in the face of your "all this b**ing by NIMBY's" attitude... must be painful to deal with someone applying logic.

1 - There is no problem.
2 - Information was given to you as to the operations of the airport and aircraft.
3 - I can almost guarantee you that Transport Canada won't cater to your NIMBY requests.

BTW: I added an avatar to my profile, just for you :130:
outtawind
Fledgling

Post by outtawind »

OKkayak: #3 - I can almost guarantee you that Transport Canada won't cater to your NIMBY requests.

I like the avatar... although I bet those two know what the words they use mean. The Muppets know that the term NIMBY does not mean what you seem to think. It's a fun word to say, but you do not know what it means.

NIMBY refers to someone who really only objects when something is in their location - but not when in another. So - a NIMBY would only care if it was only they who were impacted. Vernon can do better - we would just as vehemently defend our fellow Vernonites on the other side of town as we would our next door neighbors.

Again yacky... I do not have a problem with helicopters themselves... this fact seems to not sink in for you. It is HOW they are operated. They do NOT need to circle above the neighborhoods. There is simply not enough traffic in this airport to justify doing repeated low sweeps over the houses - if they stick to the flight path it seems better.

There is not near enough traffic that sticking to the approach path is going to cause a problem. Are you sure you live near this airport?... I'm beginning to think you do not live around here at all and are just an internet troll.

Nimby
/ˈnimbē/Submit
noun
a person who objects to the siting of something perceived as unpleasant or potentially dangerous in their own neighborhood, such as a landfill or hazardous waste facility, especially while raising no such objections to similar developments elsewhere.
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

Ingevan22 wrote:Um... I got nowhere raising concerns & suggesting possible solutions.

So I suppose it is time to do something different, such as gather support for a Noise Management committee, so residents can voice their concerns in a slightly more productive manner and also, hear from those affected businesses and city officials, in hopes of developing a mutually agreeable plan to mitigate airport noise.

The airport was there during the second world war. How long have you been there?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Everyone please feel free to contact Transport Canada with your complaints about operations at Vernon airport.
Just remember to accept their findings, and move on.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

outtawind wrote:NIMBY refers to someone who really only objects when something is in their location - but not when in another. So - a NIMBY would only care if it was only they who were impacted. Vernon can do better - we would just as vehemently defend our fellow Vernonites on the other side of town as we would our next door neighbors.

Again yacky... I do not have a problem with helicopters themselves... this fact seems to not sink in for you. It is HOW they are operated. They do NOT need to circle above the neighborhoods. There is simply not enough traffic in this airport to justify doing repeated low sweeps over the houses - if they stick to the flight path it seems better.

There is not near enough traffic that sticking to the approach path is going to cause a problem. Are you sure you live near this airport?... I'm beginning to think you do not live around here at all and are just an internet troll.

Nimby
/ˈnimbē/Submit
noun
a person who objects to the siting of something perceived as unpleasant or potentially dangerous in their own neighborhood, such as a landfill or hazardous waste facility, especially while raising no such objections to similar developments elsewhere.

The helicopters are in your neighbourhood, you find it unpleasant = NIMBY as per the definition you provided :130:
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

lensbaby wrote:The airport was there during the second world war. How long have you been there?

Following that logic, there was also no Predator Ridge, no tourist helicopters, etc etc etc.

So let me get this straight - you're complaining that folks are complaining on a Castanet forum, and when I suggest there is a committee that could be requested, where folks can complain offline and not on this forum (and also, hear from industry, pilots, etc), you're still compelled to complain about that too. Awesome!
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

I live above Kal beach but haven't heard the helicopters from Predator yet. Maybe I haven't been home when they fly? I'm surprised there isn't an outrage from all the lakefront owners about the noise:) Oh ya they are all down south or back in Alberta by now:)
tykrz

Post by tykrz »

Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) 602.14-602.16, prescribes 1,000 feet as the minimum altitude that an aircraft may over-fly a built up area (500 feet for water), unless the aircraft is conducting a take-off, approach or landing (other exemptions may apply). This regulation is enforceable by Transport Canada Civil Aviation Enforcement. If you suspect an aircraft operating too low or in an unsafe manner, the details of the incident should be forwarded to Transport Canada by:
Email: [email protected] Telephone: 1-800-305-2059 Fax: 613-957-4208
tykrz

Post by tykrz »

That being said, be thankfull your not under the departure/arrivals end at the Vancouver International Airport.
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

Wow that predator ridge helicopter is loud. Flew right over Coldstream very low. I'm surprised more Coldstream residents haven't complained. 2 PM on a Saturday.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

jasond_71 wrote:Wow that predator ridge helicopter is loud. Flew right over Coldstream very low. I'm surprised more Coldstream residents haven't complained. 2 PM on a Saturday.

And what valid complaint would that be?
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

jasond_71 wrote:Wow that predator ridge helicopter is loud. Flew right over Coldstream very low. I'm surprised more Coldstream residents haven't complained. 2 PM on a Saturday.

2pm on a Saturday afternoon? That's just terrible; right in the middle of the Senior nap times! LOL [icon_lol2.gif]

ps: be glad you aren't in Penticton where the big flight schools are; the choppers often fly over the city til well past 11pm.

Return to “North Okanagan”