Canada's role in a overpopulated world.

countmeout
Übergod

Re: Canada's role in a overpopulated world.

Post by countmeout »

Bikes wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjzfGChGlE
HERE IS A LINK TO SOMEONE WHO HAS ANSWERED THE QUESTIONS ARISING FROM THIS THREAD
oops caps.

Interesting perspective based on some good facts. It's definitely concerning!
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Ka-El wrote:

We already have the science and technology to feed everyone on the planet (we have for some time). The problem is not so much how many people there are to be fed, but rather the socioeconomic systems that regulate distribution.

I'm not so sure that is true but regardless how long do you think it will last if we keep increasing at the rate we are. I believe it is time to step back and take a long look at where we are heading.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Kael, we discussed the miracle of feeding everyone on the planet some months ago. If I remember right there were some major flaws and drawbacks to the technology, mostly environmental damage.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Time to start terra-forming Mars.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

The problem is, OT dearie, that you are preaching to the choir. It is not Canadians that are breeding us off the planet. Those who are doing so are not reading Castanut forums, just too busy. :200:

Why countries who are forever supplying aid during wars, famines and political unrest have not attached to the goodwill given, mandatory birth control is beyond me. For example, one tonne of free food equals 1000 free vasectomies (done by donator, of course). :biggrin:

Down the road we would hope to see a reduction in overpopulated regions which means less strife, fewer wars, more food to go around, more money to spend on education to pull themselves out of the hellholes of present. I realize this is just fantasy but nothing else seems to be working.
Last edited by Catsumi on Jan 16th, 2019, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Catsumi wrote:Down the road we would hope to see a reduction in overpopulated regions which means less strife, fewer wars, more food to go around, more money to spend on education to pull themselves out of the hellholes of present. I realize this is just fantasy but nothing else seems to be working.

The key to reducing overpopulation is educating women. We tend to want to do other things than be brood mares when given the opportunity. My Grandma had 8 kids and, while she loved us dearly, took glee in telling us if there was access to birth control back in the day, many of us would not exist today.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Yes, that is key. Not many of us would be around today had birth control been available way back when. But, it has been since the 60's and has served us well in developed countries that are forever bailing out countries that will not control their birth rate. The USA, Canada, Australia, Japan and UK regularly export their food, money, assistance and accept population excess. I wonder just how much Canada has donated over last fifty years, only to see the problem expand.

African men prefer not to use birth control. How about education for them too?

Unknown
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Smurf wrote:
loppi wrote:

To me the problem is why do we need a positive 2.1 births per death for replacement in a world who is outgrowing itself. We are already having a problem feeding the people we have in the world why is it necessary to keep the population rising. Are we not worsening one of our biggest problems?

Problems feeding is not a population problem. It is a supply and distribution problem. We throw away far more food than we would ever need to, because it's more profitable to deliver 100% of food to a location that will pay a lot for 60% of it and discard the rest than it would be to provide the food to a place that will utilize 100% of it, but pay less.

India alone could produce enough food to feed the entire world. Obviously they aren't the only ones producing food though, and there are malnourished people in parts of India
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

In the words of Dear Uncle Bob(RIP), "Those that can't win wars with bullets
can, and will, take over the World by Population."
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

JLives wrote:The key to reducing overpopulation is educating women. We tend to want to do other things than be brood mares when given the opportunity. My Grandma had 8 kids and, while she loved us dearly, took glee in telling us if there was access to birth control back in the day, many of us would not exist today.

In the 3rd world women have numerous children because they know some will die, some will get addicted to drugs and some will be poor. The more children you have the greater chance that one of them will be successful and be able to take care of you. Good luck educating women not to play the lottery.

Here in Canada, our sky high housing and living costs do a great job keeping the domestic birthrate very low.

Economic birth control!
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

HoboJo wrote:So does 2.1 births/couple assume a 10% non fertility rate then?

It's pretty simple, a reproducing couple have to produce 2 kids between them to at least replace themselves. The 0.1 accounts for sum of all the unforeseen deaths minus the births along the way before the next generation can reproduce themselves.
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

floppie wrote:

Ummmm...see that number for 2017 at 398.91 births per 1000? If one was to need 2.1 births per death for replacement population in Canada , the death rate needs to be around 190 death per 1000 instead of what it is at 275. See the problem?

Smurf wrote:
To me the problem is why do we need a positive 2.1 births per death for replacement in a world who is outgrowing itself. We are already having a problem feeding the people we have in the world why is it necessary to keep the population rising. Are we not worsening one of our biggest problems?

Overpopulation is a global problem but in Canada we don't have that problem. We, like the developed countries in the world have the opposite problem, that is our death rate exceeds birthrate. I belive our replacement ratio is around 1.6 so we are already doing our bit to controll population. I and some other peeps have posted future social and economic implications of no immigration policy so I won't bother posting that again. However, I want to point out that most of the people on this forum that favor a no immigration policy are the same peeps who go to other threads and whine about how high. the taxes are or why we don't have this and that service or why our pensions like CPP and OAS are so feeble or why our economy is so weak. Imo, I could imagine a Depression type of senario before things got better if we implemented the no immigration policy. I cant say it enough , Japan is and will be going thur a world of hurt from their situation of very low birth rates and very very low immigration level. Imo, this will happen to Canada too if we cut back on immigration.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Vacancyrate wrote:
JLives wrote:The key to reducing overpopulation is educating women. We tend to want to do other things than be brood mares when given the opportunity. My Grandma had 8 kids and, while she loved us dearly, took glee in telling us if there was access to birth control back in the day, many of us would not exist today.

In the 3rd world women have numerous children because they know some will die, some will get addicted to drugs and some will be poor. The more children you have the greater chance that one of them will be successful and be able to take care of you. Good luck educating women not to play the lottery.

Here in Canada, our sky high housing and living costs do a great job keeping the domestic birthrate very low.

Economic birth control!

It is natural that in a developed country the birthdate will be lower. The point at which we are seeing “overpopulation” is in places where industrialization and modernization has occurred rapidly, leading to a higher population of children who were born under old conditions where it was expected many would die, instead having access to better healthcare and opportunities and living full lives. Their descendants though will on average have fewer kids and this will balance out.

This is a very well understood process of population mechanics, and has repeated throughout every nation. Some more rapidly than others.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Vacancyrate wrote:In the 3rd world women have numerous children because they know some will die, some will get addicted to drugs and some will be poor. The more children you have the greater chance that one of them will be successful and be able to take care of you. Good luck educating women not to play the lottery.

Economic birth control!

Are you seriously under the impression women are having large numbers of children because they choose to? No. Lack of birth control, lack of education and the inability to say No to men is why. Pregnancy and birth is hard on us not to mention raising the resulting children. In the majority of cases (I won't say all) having less children is simply not a option for women.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

JLives wrote:Are you seriously under the impression women are having large numbers of children because they choose to? No. Lack of birth control, lack of education and the inability to say No to men is why.

https://data.unicef.org/topic/child-sur ... mortality/

40 out of 100 children born in Africa will die before they are 5.

In the 1990's the rate was 93/100.

Are you seriously suggesting people are unaware of those numbers? Mother's don't talk to one another and there is no cultural impact on communities where 40-50% of kids die before there are 5?

People in the 3rd world have multiple children because it's a crapshoot if their kids will even live to be teenagers. The more children they have the better chance one or two will make it to become adults.

Can't say no to men? Holy hell put down the kool aid.
Last edited by Vacancyrate on Jan 17th, 2019, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Canada”