Multi Purpose Cultural Facility

Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Multi Purpose Cultural Facility

Post by Scrobins94 »

Finally something good for Vernon. Looks like it's becoming more progressive. About time.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/23 ... ral-centre

The North Okanagan will be getting a new cultural centre after a successful referendum Saturday.

Voters were asked if they would approve the city borrowing $25 million to build a cultural centre that would house the Vernon Public Art Gallery and Vernon Museum.

Preliminary results show 7,850 yes votes compared to 5,357 no votes.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Its become now even more apparent that only rate payers shall be allowed to vote in civic elections :swear:
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I'm shocked. The feeble efforts by the right wing in the community gave the election to spenders. I thought that we were going to see a slate of candidates from the right, but the only evidence of that was an add in the Morning Star a couple of days before the election where Scott Anderson endorsed a couple of other candidates. I was expecting a slate like what happened in Kelowna four years ago when their council was taken over. And attack ads were absent, too. I was expecting those. What the heck is going on with this civility?
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Are you trying to tell us, Bob Vernon, that conservatives can't be spenders?

September 24, 2018
13. COUNCIL INFORMATION UPDATES
A. NOTICE OF MOTION (Councillor Anderson)
That the 2018 grant of $100,000 to the O’Keefe Ranch and Interior Heritage Society be extended and added as a budget item ($100,000) in the 2019 budget for consideration by the next council. (P. 602)
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
tykrz

Post by tykrz »

City of Vernon has money for this yet no money for a bigger rcmp building and more officers?
Priorities people. Take a look downtown, bums, druggies and hookers everywhere anytime of day. Home break in’s in every other day in my neighborhood. No wonder Vernon’s on a fast track to become BC’s next chitt hole!
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

tykrz wrote:City of Vernon has money for this yet no money for a bigger rcmp building and more officers?
Priorities people. Take a look downtown, bums, druggies and hookers everywhere anytime of day. Home break in’s in every other day in my neighborhood. No wonder Vernon’s on a fast track to become BC’s next chitt hole!

OK but tell me when did U ever see a RCMP officer actually do a honest days work and work hard at it in Vernon
Like maybe one or two cops once and awhile???
Look at the head cop I guarantee the only thing she could run down is a hamburger + frys
No we dont need more !! what we need is a fit and efficient work police force
Agree need a larger building and better parking than we currently have
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Actually I have talked to many of the Vernon RCMP members who do amazing work.

I suggest going down and meeting a few instead of talking on a forum about them.
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

To all those that have commented on the Cultural centre the former mayor basically has no say as this came from the Regional Board as they are asking for the loan. But let me tell you we did not get the truth about this far to many questions unanswered.
As a former police officer I am ashamed to say that this is what a city of this size has for a police station, vehicles parked the street no room. This should be our priority in this city not try to make a few people happy in a big building that we will never know how much it will cost yearly.
Now we have to look at a new recreational centre according the man incharge of this area.
Then there is the fact that no one at city hall or the regional office will tell you how much we own and when it will be paid by, and in the fiscal problems in the world today should we really be spending money on a building that few will visit.
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

Here is something to ponder regarding the multi cultural centre, they have not bought or signed an agreement to purchase the land according to the mayor it is still being negotiated. I cannot find out the cost of the land in question or who is going to pay for the demolition that has occurred, remediation of the hydro or loss of parking income so we the taxpayer could lose up to another 1 million dollars on this, out of our pockets.
Just another thing were we were not given all the information or just plain lied too.
Lets cancel this until we get some real numbers and answers and we get out of the financial hole all past elected officials have put us into now.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Chyren wrote:Actually I have talked to many of the Vernon RCMP members who do amazing work.

I suggest going down and meeting a few instead of talking on a forum about them.

Chyren just what did a vernon cop do that u found "Amazing"

Return to “North Okanagan”