Fired Up Over Firearms Bill

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Fired Up Over Firearms Bill

Post by Treblehook »

When will our legislators get it? Making laws that restrict and make firearms acquisition/possession more difficult and more expensive will have little or no impact on the criminal use and possession of firearms. If the net result of these new laws was to reduce the number of guns [legally acquired and possessed by law abiding citizens], it will have the singular effect of increasing the price of illegal guns and increasing the incidents of firearms smuggling into our country. If our government wanted to really do something about the number of legally owned guns getting into the hands of criminals, they need to firm up the laws concerning storage and security of legally owned guns. That is pretty simple!! If the penalty to a gun owner, for having an improperly stored firearm stolen from their home, was stiff enough.... well, people would make the necessary investment to secure their firearms. It seems that our lawmakers and the people who are making the most noise about gun ownership, know very little about the subject. They certainly don't seem to understand the criminal element and appreciate the fact that these morons will acquire guns one way or the other. Making firearms more scarce will simply drive up their value and make them a more desirable item to traffick.
Mark5
Board Meister

Re: Fired Up Over Firearms Bill

Post by Mark5 »

Canadians who possess firearms lawfully are getting sick and tired and fed up with all these laws and with being persecuted for crimes they have nothing to do with. I think there will be a lot of non compliance this time around. These kinds of laws should go to national referendum anyway. The liberals do not have the authourity to pass such totalitarian and onerus laws.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Well, they have the "authourity" to pass the law. But what we really need in this country is concealed carry which would allow law-abiding citizens to protect the nation. A number of Conservative MPs from Alberta and Saskatchewan have voiced their support for concealed carry and I'm sure after the next election they can gather others from the rest of Canada to get this rolling. It may only be a few years away and we can protect ourselves. Punks will need to realize that potential victims might be carrying and they'll think twice.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

bob vernon wrote:Well, they have the "authourity" to pass the law. But what we really need in this country is concealed carry which would allow law-abiding citizens to protect the nation. A number of Conservative MPs from Alberta and Saskatchewan have voiced their support for concealed carry and I'm sure after the next election they can gather others from the rest of Canada to get this rolling. It may only be a few years away and we can protect ourselves. Punks will need to realize that potential victims might be carrying and they'll think twice.

Protect the nation from what? When was the last time you saw a need for a concealed gun while walking down the street in Vernon or going grocery shopping? I think that's taking an issue and making more about what YOU want and the real reason why left leaning people fear guns.

The vast majority (99.9 percent) of gun owners are responsible and law abiding citizens. Try not to speak for the less than one percent that scare the crap out of the rest of Canada.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

bob vernon wrote:Well, they have the "authourity" to pass the law. But what we really need in this country is concealed carry which would allow law-abiding citizens to protect the nation. A number of Conservative MPs from Alberta and Saskatchewan have voiced their support for concealed carry and I'm sure after the next election they can gather others from the rest of Canada to get this rolling. It may only be a few years away and we can protect ourselves. Punks will need to realize that potential victims might be carrying and they'll think twice.

as much as I love guns etc concealed permits in my mind are dangerous Too many people I know would take the law into their own hands for no good reason
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I'm uncertain when there is a problem with a firearm the problem is not addressed. In the way they are dealing with the new changes, it is impacting the legal gun owner, the one who respects the laws.

Why not address the problem as they do in the USA. A Felon ( someone convicted of a Indictable offence ) is going straight to jail if in possession of a firearm. Why put the law abiding gun owner on the stand, he / she is not the problem.

IF you have a MP or MLA in your area speak with them on this issue and let them know their actions are not fixing the issues!
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

people are more apt to to be well behaved when guns are plainly visable.
why the need to conceal? open carry for everyone, so the police have an excuse to start shooting everyone, just like the ussa.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

An angle I saw, with uniformed RCMP, well, at least one,
in attendance at the meeting.
Was he/they there to simply also be informed ?
or.
The conspiracy theory side of me thinking it was to have facial
recognition and other info on those in attendance, and the
most vocal or bullish opposers.

Just a thought.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Mark5 wrote:Canadians who possess firearms lawfully are getting sick and tired and fed up with all these laws and with being persecuted for crimes they have nothing to do with. I think there will be a lot of non compliance this time around. These kinds of laws should go to national referendum anyway. The liberals do not have the authourity to pass such totalitarian and onerus laws.

No we're not. We value a balance between freedom and public safety. We don't want to be like our Southern neighbours and their fetish for weapons. It's totally out of control. We see guns as a tool for acquiring food, not as something to be used to shoot people. Hell no to concealed carry or open carry in public.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
obtunded

Post by obtunded »

In addition to being a gunsmith, competitive shooter (F-class), gun collector and hunter, I was also a paramedic for 32 years, mostly in and around Vancouver. I have absolutely no desire to see people packing guns. Without wading into the overwhelming evidence and the complete lack of necessity, what makes that prospect impossible is our draconian laws regarding self defence. Even to carry a pocket knife with the stated purpose being “for protection” is illegal. Shooting someone breaking into your house is illegal. What needs to change is our country’s arcane and ridiculous legal approach to defending self and property. If some urchin gets within your walls, you should be able to use whatever force you have or want, but I have no stomach for watching two Bubbas in a gunfight because one jacked up pickup cut off another jacked up pickup. Our country isn’t to the point where you need to carry guns, but I damned well think that any maggot caught in your house shoukd get what they have coming to them.
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

Treblehook wrote:................If our government wanted to really do something about the number of legally owned guns getting into the hands of criminals, they need to firm up the laws concerning storage and security of legally owned guns. That is pretty simple!! If the penalty to a gun owner, for having an improperly stored firearm stolen from their home, was stiff enough.... well, people would make the necessary investment to secure their firearms. It seems that our lawmakers and the people who are making the most noise about gun ownership, know very little about the subject. ...........
Help us out here with your stats. How many guns are stolen from Joe Public and what are the current fines for improper storage?
WheelWeaves
Fledgling

Post by WheelWeaves »

The idea is to restrict the number of firearms in circulation, so fewer are stolen or sold illicitly. I am aware these aren't staggering, lose-sleep-at-night numbers, but its too late, just like america. Too many in circulation, too many already on the black market. If stricter gun control was in place and the American mind wasn't bought and paid for by the NRA propaganda decades ago, we'd have a different continent.

But, alas, here we are with people in canada who are so *bleep* afraid of their own shadow they think we need concealed weaponry, and why you can buy 40 gun safes at canadian tire. Please don't let us become more american in this regard, those people are freaks, claiming they need 38 rifles and a dozen handguns for "protection".
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

opposition petition to C-71 received a rebuttal from Gov't
https://www.ourcommons.ca/Content/ePeti ... 4_PS_E.pdf

More info on TheGunBlog.ca
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

If you've ever been the victim of a home invasion, you might understand. I now have numerous weapons stashed around the house. Axes, machetes, and knives. Hidden and readily available. I would also like to have a concealed pistol on my person. Just a small one in a shoulder harness. If ever invaded again, I'd like to respond to "my life being threatened" with greater force.

I have the greatest sympathy for the plight of the homeless and the poor. But this is my stuff. Get your own legally or do without. Go ahead, make my day.

Return to “North Okanagan”