Recommend a Financial Planner

Business and professional recommendations.
TJSmith
Übergod

Recommend a Financial Planner

Post by TJSmith »

my nephew is searching for a financial planner. He doesn’t want to deal with a bank.

Anyone know of anyone?
Last edited by TJSmith on Feb 14th, 2019, 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
onestop67
Guru

Re: RRSP Season

Post by onestop67 »

TerriJ73 wrote:Looking at making a lump sum contribution this year. What are people’s thoughts on RRSP vs TFSA

Also my nephew is searching for a financial planner. Who are the good ones?

You have to provide much more information about your personal situation to get an answer to that. And no, I'm not suggesting you provide that information on here.

Your age, current income, savings to date and a number of other factors would dictate what the best options are, for you.

RRSP's offer an immediate tax credit, but if you need to withdraw any, you have to pay back tax, depending on your income.

TFSA's let your money earn interest going forward that you can withdraw tax free.
TJSmith
Übergod

Re: RRSP Season

Post by TJSmith »

onestop67 wrote:
TerriJ73 wrote:Looking at making a lump sum contribution this year. What are people’s thoughts on RRSP vs TFSA

Also my nephew is searching for a financial planner. Who are the good ones?

You have to provide much more information about your personal situation to get an answer to that. And no, I'm not suggesting you provide that information on here.

Your age, current income, savings to date and a number of other factors would dictate what the best options are, for you.

RRSP's offer an immediate tax credit, but if you need to withdraw any, you have to pay back tax, depending on your income.

TFSA's let your money earn interest going forward that you can withdraw tax free.

Thanks. Who are the good financial people to deal with in Kelowna
Last edited by TJSmith on Feb 14th, 2019, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Recommend a Financial Planner

Post by gman313 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 14th, 2019, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
TJSmith
Übergod

Post by TJSmith »

*removed*
Reason: Response to removed post.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

*removed*
Reason: Off Topic
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

One of the posters in the Castanet forums is a financial advisor, according to him/her/zher.
Check out Ogopogo.....he claims he is very good so just go over some of his posts to see if his demeanour matches what you want and then PM him.

This is not a recommendation as I don’t know him.....just someone local, on the board....but definitely read posts first to make sure things sync up to your thoughts.
You and 71 others Like this post
TJSmith
Übergod

Post by TJSmith »

LANDM wrote:One of the posters in the Castanet forums is a financial advisor, according to him/her/zher.
Check out Ogopogo.....he claims he is very good so just go over some of his posts to see if his demeanour matches what you want and then PM him.

This is not a recommendation as I don’t know him.....just someone local, on the board....but definitely read posts first to make sure things sync up to your thoughts.

Thanks. No need to search for this guy. The unoriginal username says it all.

So far a bunch of recommendations have come forward. I was going to list them but wasn’t sure if that’s allowed..
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

LANDM wrote:One of the posters in the Castanet forums is a financial advisor, according to him/her/zher.

BEWARE.....on the forums........

YOU GET THE ADVICE THAT YOU PAY FOR. :smt045
Bring back the LIKE button.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

alanjh595 wrote:

BEWARE.....on the forums........

YOU GET THE ADVICE THAT YOU PAY FOR. :smt045

Hahahahahahaha......but I *did* say to look up the posts.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. :admin:
TJSmith
Übergod

Post by TJSmith »

There must be at least 50 people with ogopogo in their username. Just a guess.

Anyway, if anyone knows of anyone else, let me know
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Sorry, the precise username is OgopogoO

I missed the O on the end.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

TerriJ73 wrote:my nephew is searching for a financial planner. He doesn’t want to deal with a bank.

Anyone know of anyone?

I won't personally recommend anyone, but don't forget that financial planners have to make a living, so depending on your nephew's amount he is able to invest, may determine who may or may not even want to deal with him.

The banks will take on clients with smaller amounts while their investment branches will not. Scotia McLeod might not want you as a client if you don't have at least a 1/4 million to invest, but Scotiabank will take you with 10K. The management fees can really add up. That specialized investment broker will probaby make you a higher than average return, but after the higher fees, you might not be as far ahead as you think. Sometimes makimg a bit lower return, and paying way lower fees by going to a bank, can be better.

The guys in the big fancy building will probably know way more about what to invest in than the fresh out of college kid at the bank, but you will definitely pay for it.

Again, it is all relative. If you love your nephew, just make sure he does his research.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I read Ogopogo's posts and I make money EVERY SINGLE DAY.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Bpeep wrote:

I read Ogopogo's posts and I make money EVERY SINGLE DAY.

There you go....a happy forum member. :147:
Does his demeanour match yours though? :biggrin:

Return to “Referrals”