Flubbing FOBs

Jlabute
Guru

Flubbing FOBs

Post by Jlabute »

It wouldn't be too difficult to find the culprit with the proper equipment. Apparently this is happening in various locations? I am hard-pressed to believe the issue would be wi-fi harmonics. A wi-fi router itself is fairly low power, unlicensed 2.4GHz, and resulting harmonics would always be at a higher frequency and lower amplitudes. Harmonics would be at 2 x Fc, 3 x Fc and up. I don't believe wi-fi interferes with KeyFOBs. Is it unintentional interference from electronics? Powerful enough to drown a parking lot from a distance in the 315MHz range? Wifi devices as unintentional radiators is very unlikely. FCC should maybe be involved.

harmonics.png

Here's an interesting article implicating unintentional radiators as being neon signs or other devices.

https://incompliancemag.com/unintentional-source-causes-strange-rf-interference/

"Once on site, experts used a noise signature receiver and an antenna to survey the affected area at a frequency range of 315 MHz and 433 MHz (the common frequency range for key fobs) and isolate the interfering signal. The source of interference was determined to be recently replaced neon sign with switching-mode power supply. This problematic power supply generated a substantial signal, interfering with devices within up to 40 feet of the sign. Understanding that the interference was unintentional, the store owner was asked to disable his sign during non-business hours but has not been required to replace it at this time."

Radio interference and a proliferation of wifi are believed to be the culprit.

According to topgear.com, "keyless entry signals can easily be drowned out by high-intensity interference. While wi-fi routers typically operate in the 2.4GHz radio band, as opposed to the 315MHz and 433.92MHz bands that car remotes operate in, they can still generate harmonic interference and even unintentional interference due to poor shielding or wiring. And so can a whole host of other wireless devices."

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/250670/Why-are-fobs-flubbing
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Flubbing FOBs

Post by bob vernon »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 5th, 2019, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
aitaix

Post by aitaix »

Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

It isn't wi-fi. It is likely a switching power-supply acting as an unintentional radiator like those in signs. Most likely one of the lit up signs facing the parking lot.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
TYCORPPREZ

Post by TYCORPPREZ »

Never been an issue for me in multiple vehicles at that location.

although with the cold, battery voltage can drop.
with that the cars can go into a "limp" mode where "comfort access" door touch\unlock and fobs range are purposely reduced to conserve power.

See if the issue remains when the temperature is up .
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

aitaix wrote:Probably the same reason here: https://globalnews.ca/news/4911052/key-fobs-carstairs-mystery/

I was also just going to post this link - I thought the Vernon mystery sounded familiar!
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 5th, 2019, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
hrvatica

Post by hrvatica »

I remember reading they had solved the grocery store lot mystery- link below

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5003043

*Spoiler Alert*

After investigation it was determined that there was faulty consumer electronic equipment stuck in transmit mode in the area, which was causing the interference. We will continue to monitor, however we do not anticipate any further issues moving forward.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

It was eventually determined in Carstairs that a remote car starter in the area was the culprit":

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.5003043

Remote car starter the culprit

A spokesperson with Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada had more details.

"In this case, it was determined that it was a remote car starter. It has since been deactivated and the interference has stopped," Hans Parmar said, in an emailed response to CBC News late Friday.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I remember watching one of those investigating tv programs a couple years back on how easy it is to hack those key fobs, this could be expensive security issue.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
kiabird
Fledgling

Post by kiabird »

In the news stories, people indicated they couldn't get into, or start, their cars. [icon_lol2.gif]

Ah...folks.
Beside the fob, you'll see two keys attached.
One for the door; the other, ignition.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

kiabird wrote:In the news stories, people indicated they couldn't get into, or start, their cars. [icon_lol2.gif]

Ah...folks.

You would likely be amazed how few people actually read their vehicle owner's manuals. Regardless, it doesn't negate the fact something is apparently interfering with their use - the FOBs, not the manuals.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

kiabird wrote:In the news stories, people indicated they couldn't get into, or start, their cars. [icon_lol2.gif]

Ah...folks.

lots of keyless or key not required vehicles;; these are ones getting stolen;; one perp has a special scanner and scans the outside wall of your home picks up a signal and relays to another perp whom has a decoder he is able to enter the car and drive off ;; that's why they say don't hang your fobs on a outside wall and that's a fact according to a article I read a few months ago
examples are 2012 Suzuki NO key required 2016 Hyundi santa Fey no key required

Return to “North Okanagan”