College Admissions Scandal

W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

College coaches, actresses indicted in admissions bribery case

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/coll ... bery-case/

Hollywood actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin were charged along with nearly 50 other people Tuesday in a scheme in which wealthy parents bribed college coaches and insiders at testing centers to help get their children into some of the most elite schools in the country, federal prosecutors said.

“These parents are a catalog of wealth and privilege,” U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling said in announcing the $25 million federal bribery case.

“For every student admitted through fraud, an honest and genuinely talented student was rejected,” Lelling said.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: College coaches, actresses indicted in admissions briber

Post by normaM »

how dumb were their children they had to bride their way into college?
Shame on the parents
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 12th, 2019, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attempted derailing
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

I agree Norma..shame on the parents and there's no way that their kids didn't know themselves that was how they got in...

sure is refreshing to know that those that think money can buy you anything and everything just might not turn out the way you (paid for) expect..
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

worst part is they bumped a student who could have gone on to great things and discoveries
And I liked Felicity.. grrrrr
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Nothing new here. In our society, everything is for sale. Even a diploma from an Ivy league school. Put up enough cash and you can get in with falsified SAT scores. Put up more cash and you can buy a paper to submit for high marks. Put up enough cash and you can hire somebody to take your final exam for you. Easy.

It's social Darwinism. Those with wealth and power use that wealth and power to get more wealth and power. Middle and lower classes need not apply. Survival of the fittest. Or richest.

Want to protect your cash from the taxman? Put it in an offshore tax haven. If it is discovered that you broke the law, just put up enough cash to the right people and there won't be charges. If you're a Senator, you're golden.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

totally agree Bob..money and power can pretty much get you anything you want...(watch the Leaving Neverland Documentary...MJ the pedo had no problem buying his victims from their parents)

very curious as to whom paid the $6.5 million to guarantee their children’s admission ??
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I've been following the news on this today. Wow.

Huffman, Loughlin Among 50 Indicted in College Admissions Scandal

Fifty people, including Hollywood actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin, have been indicted by the FBI and the U.S. attorney's office in Boston in an alleged far-reaching bribery scheme that involved college athletic coaches and college entrance exam administrators -- nabbed in a bust that was dubbed by feds as "Operation Varsity Blues."

Court documents, which were unsealed Tuesday morning, allege that the accused aimed to facilitate students getting into high-profile D-1 schools, including Georgetown, Stanford, UCLA, Yale, University of Texas, University of San Diego, University of Southern California and Wake Forest as recruited athletes regardless of their athletic ability.

More here:
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/nationa ... 30761.html

And this breaking news:

Philanthropist David Sidoo accused of paying $200K to help sons pass U.S. college entrance exams

David Sidoo, a notable Vancouver businessman, philanthropist and mainstay figure in UBC's athletics program, has been charged with conspiring to help students, including his own sons, cheat on college entrance exams in the United States over a period of eight years.

Sidoo is accused of paying $200,000 to have someone take the SATs for his two sons in 2011 and 2012, the younger of whom ended up at the University of California-Berkeley.

He was charged with conspiracy to commit fraud in U.S. federal court earlier this month.

More here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... 1xG6SHeQUs
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
mnprochnau
Banned

Post by mnprochnau »

bob vernon wrote:Nothing new here. In our society, everything is for sale. Even a diploma from an Ivy league school. Put up enough cash and you can get in with falsified SAT scores. Put up more cash and you can buy a paper to submit for high marks. Put up enough cash and you can hire somebody to take your final exam for you. Easy.

It's social Darwinism. Those with wealth and power use that wealth and power to get more wealth and power. Middle and lower classes need not apply. Survival of the fittest. Or richest.

Want to protect your cash from the taxman? Put it in an offshore tax haven. If it is discovered that you broke the law, just put up enough cash to the right people and there won't be charges. If you're a Senator, you're golden.

Soory Man I think your missing the point the society of which you speak is americun not the great Nation Of Canada. It troubles me that you see no difference. I can only blame this on the insidious nature of America. A pathetic and pervasive culture, one all Canadians would be better served to ignore. Anyhow try to remember ok Canada is us America is them.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: College Admissions Scandal

Post by normaM »

"It's a story that resonates particularly hard with the middle and lower classes, because it feeds into their belief that America has become a system rigged against them. "The story is so infuriating because rich kids should have to get into college the old-fashioned way, by their parents donating a library," Noah said."
Trevor Noah
Aunty Becky paid $500,000 ( her kid must have the IQ of a turnip.)
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

So where is this list? I think it's terrible but just having these two actresses getting almost ALL the attention from this crime seems a little wrong I don't know really the origins of these actresses , maybe from dirt poor maybe from money.
It's the loaded no names or those few would recognize with old money i'd get more satisfaction getting dragged through the mud.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Felicity is wed to an Actor ( William Macy) so doubt they are poor. I agree I want to see the list, the sting operation even had a name.
I guess the name recon for the 2 actresses is why they are being paraded
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I don't really mean if they themselves are poor, clearly they are both currently loaded enough. I did a quick search seems like Loughlin came from a working class type family , Hoffman born into wealth.
This really has more to do with the parents and bragging rights and maybe a bit with the hopes their kid carries on with success , and although it's very wrong I could almost imagine the lure especially for one that comes from a more average upbringing.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

The Complete List Of Who’s Been Charged In The College Admissions Scandal
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/complete ... 12373.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So looking at that list the only ones that could possibly be considered "household names" are the 2 actresses.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “World”