Firefighters in Vernon get caught.

buckland
Fledgling

Re: Firefighters in Vernon get caught.

Post by buckland »

polelady wrote:Here you go.. buckland.... check this out... !!!
As per my note prior !! Cheers

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=76660&hilit=fire+chief+west+kelowna

Kinda the same pot of stew... me thinks... !!

Not even close. I remember that story now. He drove under the influence (Criminal offence) and was the assistant chief. Did He win his lawsuit? Hope not. He mentioned that it was his only offence, Possibly, but he may have done this (DUI) before just never got caught. Many of us don't.
JDholmes

Post by JDholmes »

soupy wrote:
Former chief poorly treated
Contributed - Mar 20, 2019 / 2:09 pm | Story: 252015
I have been following the ongoing situation at Vernon Fire Rescue for the last few years, and with the latest developments, felt compelled to write.

According to your story, former fire chief Keith Green had been on a medical leave of absence from September 2016 until he was terminated in August 2018.

My understanding is that this leave to deal with a PTSD/OSI workplace injury, and that a plan was in place for him to start a graduated return to work at the time he was unceremoniously let go.

I am appalled at the total lack of respect shown to Chief Green in the handling of this situation.

PTSD/OSI is medically recognized form of workplace injury widely accepted by experts throughout the world. There are several Canadian provinces that have included it within their presumptive disease wording. If an employee is diagnosed with either of these illnesses, it is presumed that it is a result of workplace exposure and thus falls under WorkSafe legislation, entitling that employee to benefits contained within the legislation.

Almost every day in Canada, we hear of another active or retired first responder or military officer dying as a result of suicide. Most often, the cause of the victim's poor mental health is linked directly to his or her PTSD or OSI. In many of these cases, the victim feels abandoned by their employer – those who by duty to accommodate law are required to assist and support the employee while they get themselves healthy enough to return to work or enjoy their retirement.

The treatment of this long time, hard working employee appears to be a far cry from what good, respectful HR policy dictates.

Time to stop talking the talk, and to walk the walk. Rescind the termination notice. Get Chief Green back in the fold with the help he needs to regain his mental health. Then start to repair the toxic environment that has been created at Vernon Fire Rescue Services.

Rob Chalmers, Platoon Capt. (Ret), Kamloops Fire Rescue

Letter to the editor.
So this letter includes a new twist. A retired member now spreading likely confidential information about a mental health claim that Chief Green may or may not have had. Including details about his leave of absence and return-to-work schedule.

Does this mean if an employee has had an accepted claim for PTSD / mental health issues than when they return to work they can engage in unethical acts and get away with it? It seems the letter to the editor believes the PTSD is an excuse for bad behavior.

"The treatment of this hard working employee is a far cry from what a good, respectful HR policy dictates"
Ummm, how about the employee involved respect the public and act in an ethical way??

Firing employees for engaging in sexual acts on company time, in a superior's office is exactly what a good HR team will do.

Soupy, maybe before you decide to interject your wisdom into forums on subjects you clearly know nothing about, you might actually want to do your homework??? Chief Green was off on leave long before the sex in the "Acting Chief's" office occurred? What part of Captain Brent Bond & Dispatcher Cara Leigh Manahan being caught on video having sex in the Acting Chief's office is confusing for you? It wasn't in Chief Green's office, nor was he there at the time of the incident. Given another First Responder committed suicide (OPP Police Officer) just days ago, your comments are both appalling and completely insensitive (among many others on this thread). Until you've pulled a child out of a vehicle who has unfortunately lost their life, I'm pretty sure you might want to take the time to reflect and think about what you say before hitting the keyboard with your reckless fingers. Freedom of speech is great when you actually know the facts. Live by those words or don't... (Apparently you don't). Our collective great grandfathers and grandfathers died for us to be able to have an opinion...... But they expected us to have an informed opinion and not spout off about an individual who proudly served his community for 2 decades only to be tossed aside after being affected by a psychological injury from years of service???? And the people having sex in the acting Chief's office get their jobs back because of what??? Incompetence? Begs the question of who should be fired.... I'll leave that with you to ponder.

Wow.....

JD
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

JDholmes wrote:
soupy wrote:
Letter to the editor.
So this letter includes a new twist. A retired member now spreading likely confidential information about a mental health claim that Chief Green may or may not have had. Including details about his leave of absence and return-to-work schedule.

Does this mean if an employee has had an accepted claim for PTSD / mental health issues than when they return to work they can engage in unethical acts and get away with it? It seems the letter to the editor believes the PTSD is an excuse for bad behavior.

"The treatment of this hard working employee is a far cry from what a good, respectful HR policy dictates"
Ummm, how about the employee involved respect the public and act in an ethical way??

Firing employees for engaging in sexual acts on company time, in a superior's office is exactly what a good HR team will do.

Soupy, maybe before you decide to interject your wisdom into forums on subjects you clearly know nothing about, you might actually want to do your homework??? Chief Green was off on leave long before the sex in the "Acting Chief's" office occurred? What part of Captain Brent Bond & Dispatcher Cara Leigh Manahan being caught on video having sex in the Acting Chief's office is confusing for you? It wasn't in Chief Green's office, nor was he there at the time of the incident. Given another First Responder committed suicide (OPP Police Officer) just days ago, your comments are both appalling and completely insensitive (among many others on this thread). Until you've pulled a child out of a vehicle who has unfortunately lost their life, I'm pretty sure you might want to take the time to reflect and think about what you say before hitting the keyboard with your reckless fingers. Freedom of speech is great when you actually know the facts. Live by those words or don't... (Apparently you don't). Our collective great grandfathers and grandfathers died for us to be able to have an opinion...... But they expected us to have an informed opinion and not spout off about an individual who proudly served his community for 2 decades only to be tossed aside after being affected by a psychological injury from years of service???? And the people having sex in the acting Chief's office get their jobs back because of what??? Incompetence? Begs the question of who should be fired.... I'll leave that with you to ponder.

Wow.....

JD

JD i apologize as i mis-read the parties involved. I mixed up and was thinking the letter about Green was actually about Bond.

I was incorrect and thought the FF with PTSD was the one caught acting inappropriate and the letter was defending his actions.

I do not know anything about the Chief Green situation.
Theother

Post by Theother »

Well looks like the city is sticking to their guns.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Him: has his job back, although the city will make an effort to change the arbitor's finding. I'm thinking it will end with the good captain back on the gravy train.

Her: gone, no job, sorry, see ya. Sure, she'll be able to apply on other city jobs......... but will they even consider her?

The double standard continues. Jezebel!!
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

bob vernon wrote:Him: has his job back, although the city will make an effort to change the arbitor's finding. I'm thinking it will end with the good captain back on the gravy train.

Her: gone, no job, sorry, see ya. Sure, she'll be able to apply on other city jobs......... but will they even consider her?

The double standard continues. Jezebel!!

Did you forget that you already made this post on March 20th?

bob vernon wrote:Him: reinstated. Back on the job with the high salary. Benefits. Gold plated pension waiting at the end of the gravy train.

Her: her job was shipped out of town. Severance. No job. See ya.

Vernon: an equal opportunity employer?

1) He is no longer a Captain. He was demoted to 1st class firefighter until 2022
2) The benefit she gained was the ability to access Severance, which i would think is a big deal.

Will be very interesting to see what happens with the appeal, the bigger questions in my mind is what do the rest of the fire fighters think? Will he get a pat on the back or the cold shoulder? If the later, why even bother coming back?
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Why would he come back? Do you have any idea what the salary of a captain is? And don't forget about the pension waiting at the end of the rainbow? The pension will be larger than most of you make working a full time job. Yeah, he wants to come back.

The dispatcher?
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

bob vernon wrote:Why would he come back? Do you have any idea what the salary of a captain is? And don't forget about the pension waiting at the end of the rainbow? The pension will be larger than most of you make working a full time job. Yeah, he wants to come back.

The dispatcher?

What part about being demoted from captain was hard to understand?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

bob vernon wrote:Why would he come back? Do you have any idea what the salary of a captain is? And don't forget about the pension waiting at the end of the rainbow? The pension will be larger than most of you make working a full time job. Yeah, he wants to come back.

The dispatcher?

I have a friend thats a firefighter, and also know someone whos son was coached by him in hockey. Apparently he's a real *bleep*.

Dispatcher was laid off and is currently collecting EI while relaxing in Mexico
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by polelady »

Ho Hum... must be a slow fire hall with lots of time for the dispatcher and this fine captain...!
This is not even funny .... his name and picture should be placed on a billboard ,, with a medal.... saying ..look what I can do at work when sitting around.... and no fires.... !
Mastercraft69
Fledgling

Post by Mastercraft69 »

I heard he has been back to work for months. As in every situation there is always two sides to every story and apparently not only the arbitrator found the firefighter should remain employed so did the LRB. Hopefully the City will now quit throwing money away that they have lost the appeal and move on in a positive direction for all and all parities learn from this. I love how the media always embellishes a story anytime they can but hey they do it hourly in the political arena as well...….
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Mastercraft69 wrote:I heard he has been back to work for months. As in every situation there is always two sides to every story and apparently not only the arbitrator found the firefighter should remain employed so did the LRB. Hopefully the City will now quit throwing money away that they have lost the appeal and move on in a positive direction for all and all parities learn from this. I love how the media always embellishes a story anytime they can but hey they do it hourly in the political arena as well...….

well hes been through hell any way u look at it the embarrassment;; the 5 months loss of pay ;;the huge demotion etc
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

bob vernon wrote:They're unionized employees aren't they?

he was the fire chief so doubt he was union
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

dontrump wrote:
bob vernon wrote:They're unionized employees aren't they?

he was the fire chief so doubt he was union

He was a Captain, not a Chief. Still would be part of IAFF union
in 2017 he made $137,419

Return to “North Okanagan”