Sask. Bus Accident

dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Sask. Bus Accident

Post by dirtybiker »

Fancy wrote:If there's the entry-level national training standard for semi-truck drivers what else should be required?

If you want a national training standard it would have to be across the board,
as in all road users licences, not just commercial.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Fancy wrote:It was already established there would be fines. I don't know why anyone would think he would go to jail considering what the charges were.

Singh, 37, was fined a total of $5,000. The Calgary-based trucking company is no longer in business.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/owner-of- ... -1.4354109

Crown prosecutor Deanna Smyth told court that the fines are much lower than the maximum allowed, but noted Singh had no previous record and his offences weren't criminal.

Canada's transportation ministers have agreed to develop an entry-level national training standard for semi-truck drivers. Federal Transport Minister Marc Garneau has said it will be in place by next January.

So I wonder what is stopping this guy from starting up a new company, if nothing then thats not right either.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

GordonH wrote:
So I wonder what is stopping this guy from starting up a new company, if nothing then thats not right either.

You may find the answer wading through here.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/national_safety_code.htm

I recall a year or two ago about changes implemented to stop this practice.
I think it was linked to owners name in the stead of just a company name.

That would go a long way in those that accrue many infractions tarnishing their
NSC records from just re-naming operations and having a fresh and clean go at it.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

dirtybiker wrote:I''ll cherry pick a few points from an excellent article I read on
the subject matter that raises some very valid questions and
concerns.
From the article "National Kneejerk" by Scott Casey

Great article and has lots of very valid points and questions. But, in my opinion, it's something that has to be done, and as you pointed out, it's much more complex than most realize, so its best we get on it, lay a foundation and goal and tackle each step one by one until we've got it figured out. Things don't change overnight, but we have to stop this behaviour of constantly putting things on the back burner just because some yells out "hold on a minute". If there is a concern, find a solution.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I know that the driver killed himself this time, but another senseless trucking fatality.
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/252669 ... nker-spill
This time polluting a river with diesel and gasoline from the trailer.

These trucks are harder to drive than any other road legal vehicles in North America, so the drivers should be nothing but the best.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Interesting article of semi driver running stop sign in Manitoba by newly arrived Canadian.....gets off pretty easy. Not sure why new drivers can't understand the word "Stop"....

The trucking industry and government officials needs to clean it's self up....

Carley Hunking, right, and her boyfriend, Dorian Roulette, were killed when a semi collided with their car on Aug. 27, 2017.

Families slam fine, 1-year suspension for driver in Trans-Canada crash that killed young couple

The families of two young people killed in a 2017 Manitoba highway crash say they don't feel any sense of closure after a guilty plea in a Portage la Prairie courtroom Wednesday morning.

Gurjant Singh, 24, was initially charged with criminal negligence and dangerous driving causing death after the truck he was driving ran a red on the Trans-Canada at Highway 16, just west of Portage la Prairie, in August 2017.

Carley Hunking, 19, and Dorian Roulette, 17, were killed instantly.

Singh pleaded guilty Wednesday to a lesser charge — the Highway Traffic Act offence of careless driving causing death — and was given a $3,000 fine and a one-year driving suspension.

The court was told Singh came to Canada from India in 2013 as a student. Now on a work visa, he has been out on bail since 2017. He hasn't been able to work since the accident, because the conditions of his bail prevented him from driving.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba ... -1.5101969
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.

Return to “Canada”