Fired Up Over Firearms Bill

bernie428
Board Meister

Re: Fired Up Over Firearms Bill

Post by bernie428 »

In addition to being a gunsmith, competitive shooter (F-class), gun collector and hunter, I was also a paramedic for 32 years, mostly in and around Vancouver. I have absolutely no desire to see people packing guns. Without wading into the overwhelming evidence and the complete lack of necessity, what makes that prospect impossible is our draconian laws regarding self defence. Even to carry a pocket knife with the stated purpose being “for protection” is illegal. Shooting someone breaking into your house is illegal. What needs to change is our country’s arcane and ridiculous legal approach to defending self and property. If some urchin gets within your walls, you should be able to use whatever force you have or want, but I have no stomach for watching two Bubbas in a gunfight because one jacked up pickup cut off another jacked up pickup. Our country isn’t to the point where you need to carry guns, but I damned well think that any maggot caught in your house should get what they have coming to them.[/quote]

I agree with so much of what you said, but I think there's something to consider. When you allow the right to blast off an 'intruder', you also give turds the ability to waste someone they want to get rid of simply by inviting them over, and then claiming they weren't invited. To me it's quite plausible that, like every other damn right/law/protection, it can also be turned around to suit the criminal. I vote for render harmless/disarm with prejudice/gently maim as the limit.
For every action there is a reaction.
Although I feel they have agreed that might happen when they break in, I've met some dumb kids that got talked into some stupid stuff that probably shouldn't be shot.
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

dg3 wrote:people are more apt to to be well behaved when guns are plainly visable.
why the need to conceal? open carry for everyone, so the police have an excuse to start shooting everyone, just like the ussa.

It's probably easier to just move there. Chicago has lots of deals on real estate.
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

" I had to shoot him" Seattle man shoots unarmed intruder, no charges laid.
LEO states ' you every right to protect your self when in fear' :130:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Brushy Bill wrote:" I had to shoot him" Seattle man shoots unarmed intruder, no charges laid.
LEO states ' you every right to protect your self when in fear'...
Not applicable here (and the rest is "fear for their own safety").
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
RUEZ
Fledgling

Post by RUEZ »

dontrump wrote:as much as I love guns etc concealed permits in my mind are dangerous Too many people I know would take the law into their own hands for no good reason

You base this statement on what exactly?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

RUEZ wrote:You base this statement on what exactly?
I would think his knowledge of the people he's talking about.
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

So why do peeps assume that just because a gun is present, suddenly there will be violence ?
If someone has the penchant to whack someone else or cause injury there are thousands of means to do it .
This fear that a firearm will be the facilitating or motivating factor is ridiculous.
A bat or a machete is the weapon of choice for millions around the world
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

Post by DetectivePikachu »

A guns only purpose is to cause violence.
its way too easy to kill someone with a firearm and can be done in an instant before rational thought can enter the picture.

At least with a bat or knife you need able motivation to physically do it and would be much easier to restrain or stop the attacker.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

They're now starting to case your houses during the broad daylight. Checking to see if anybody is at home. Probing. Is there an alarm system? And during the day. If you have a camera system, you'll often find them roaming through the yard at night, too. They're becoming fearless because they know most people aren't weaponized and won't put up a fight. It's time to arm yourself.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/26 ... emboldened
RUEZ
Fledgling

Post by RUEZ »

DetectivePikachu wrote:A guns only purpose is to cause violence.
its way too easy to kill someone with a firearm and can be done in an instant before rational thought can enter the picture.

At least with a bat or knife you need able motivation to physically do it and would be much easier to restrain or stop the attacker.

Absolutely false. I have four firearms and none of them are used to cause violence. Unless you think punching holes in paper targets is violent.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Kinda with RUEZ on this - shooting at targets and biathlons come to mind.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

RUEZ wrote:

Absolutely false. I have four firearms and none of them are used to cause violence. Unless you think punching holes in paper targets is violent.

I believe the posters intention of the statement was about a gun being present while the angry out of control person had
the option at that moment of the three weapons they would choose the gun
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

So why follow the liberal thinking that the situation could be controlled if no firearm was present? The firearm isn't the dangerous part of that equation, the persons mental state is. Millions of people enjoy and use firearms in a safe manner, why mess with their interests just to placate someones fear of an individuals mental state
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Want evidence of the fact that concealed weapons on the average public won't help?

Look at the over 250 active shooters in the USA this year...how many have been taken down by "joe public?"

Texas, the biggest "pro gun" state just had a massive shooting in a public area with probably dozens of people with guns in the area...hmmmm.

The reality is its easy for people that want this sort of nonsense to think they would respond with some level of courage when this happens in their neck of the woods (god forbid) but do you know what would probably really happen? You'd run away just like you're supposed to because no one is prepared for this kind of killing. A person's natural reaction is to flee for safety, or grab their kids, hide. That's primal. You're handgun vs a fully loaded ak-47 is useless and all the tv and movies you need to get yourself to believe you can do anything is silly.

You know who does run TOWARD the threat to save people? People like the military and police.

Return to “North Okanagan”