008.JPG
007.JPG
006.JPG
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: They fought for our freedom

Post by GordonH »

Bumped
Congratulations Sir, thank-you for your service.
https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelo ... igh-honour
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
DebSS
Fledgling

Post by DebSS »

My Dad was on 3 Destroyers over his time in WW2. Many good stories of the convoys. His medals are with his grandson as he was in the Army too. I have this and thought of him on D Day. So disappointed in Victoria City Council and them voting to have Remembrance Day paid for by the DND. Those guys on Council wouldn't have their freakin freedom to vote on anything if it wasn't for the Vets. Find it disgraceful and a slap in the face to ask for it to be paid. Need to give their heads a shake.
Attachments
Scan2019-06-05_200511.jpg
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

GraceD wrote:My Dad was on 3 Destroyers over his time in WW2. Many good stories of the convoys. His medals are with his grandson as he was in the Army too. I have this and thought of him on D Day. So disappointed in Victoria City Council and them voting to have Remembrance Day paid for by the DND. Those guys on Council wouldn't have their freakin freedom to vote on anything if it wasn't for the Vets. Find it disgraceful and a slap in the face to ask for it to be paid. Need to give their heads a shake.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/258206 ... or-Rem-Day
I was thinking much the same thing, GraceD.

This councilor seems to think these commemorations are for the military to honour their membership.

And he's not alone. I was disappointed to see it was a split vote.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
BCwrangler

Post by BCwrangler »

rustled wrote:
GraceD wrote:My Dad was on 3 Destroyers over his time in WW2. Many good stories of the convoys. His medals are with his grandson as he was in the Army too. I have this and thought of him on D Day. So disappointed in Victoria City Council and them voting to have Remembrance Day paid for by the DND. Those guys on Council wouldn't have their freakin freedom to vote on anything if it wasn't for the Vets. Find it disgraceful and a slap in the face to ask for it to be paid. Need to give their heads a shake.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/258206 ... or-Rem-Day
I was thinking much the same thing, GraceD.

This councilor seems to think these commemorations are for the military to honour their membership.

And he's not alone. I was disappointed to see it was a split vote.

The city of Victoria sadly wish to put a monetary cost on remembering the fallen... How about they reimburse the families of the dead who volunteered to give them opportunities to complain. Scary thinking processes from leaders like this are driving this planet to hostility like we haven't seen in 80 years!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

My Apologies for a day late, go figure, I'm usually a dollar short to boot.
To honour and observe.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=as ... &FORM=VIRE

Please hold fast after this gals version, for other renditions.

Thanks to all of the bravest breed that pushed forth through the
most strenuous stains.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Transcript;

Capturing The Beach.
Corporal Wilfred Bennet. Enlisted in the RCAF in September, 1939. He wanted to be a pilot, but after waiting
to be called up he ran out of patience and approached the Royal Winnipeg Rifles (RWR) who accepted him
without hesitation.
He heard from the air force three days later, but by then he was fated to land on Juno Beach with the RWR.

The beach was pretty nasty [when] we came in about 7:30 am. The water was very, very rough, and our LCA
coming in we'd sit on the top of a high wave crest and then plunge straight down into a huge hole in the trough.

Quite an experience for a boy from the Midwest

When we landed and hit the beach, another chap and I were running along the beach side by side.
The Germans were in pillboxes and they loaded their machine guns with tracer bullets...…
It looked like yellow popcorn, popcorn floating upwards, and those were just the ones we could see.

There were hundreds of bullets we couldn't see.

The man beside me got hit in the face. he was on my right side, and fire was coming in from ten o'clock
on the left, so it missed me and hit Kelly McTier from the MO's office in the Rifles.

I remember saying "Well, Kelly, you'll be back to Blighty" and then had to leave as we were to "keep moving."

Years later, Bennet saw McTier at a reunion. He told him, " Benny, do you know how long I spent on the
beach on D-Day ? Till 6 at night. It was pretty rough."
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Burlington WWII soldier's remains finally laid to rest in France

Sgt. John Albert Collis is now resting at the Bretteville-sur-Laize Canadian War Cemetery

The recently-discovered remains of a Royal Hamilton Light Infantry (RHLI) soldier who died in the Second World War have been laid to rest in their rightful place.

An interment ceremony was held Friday for Burlington's Sgt. John Albert Collis at the Bretteville-sur-Laize Canadian War Cemetery in France.

Collis died on July 25, 1944, but partial skeletal remains of his weren't found until 2017. They were discovered near Verrières, a village in the commune of Saint-Martin-de-Fontenay, France.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton ... -1.5166438

Amazing that they are still finding these guys 75 years later. Very few people know about "Operation Spring". A lot of Canadians died in that operation. It was not very successful, but the Canadians learned from their mistakes, and changed their tactics. One thing that differentiated the Canadians on the battlefields in both WW1 and WW2 - they learned from their mistakes.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

I was just over in France and Belgium, visiting various Canadian battlefields and cemeteries. I asked Ferri if it would be ok to post some pics here and she said that some here may appreciate the pics. So here goes:
Attachments
Juno Beach museum.  Excellent facility that all Canadians should be proud of.
Juno Beach museum. Excellent facility that all Canadians should be proud of.
Juno Beach.  Friends of mine were there a few years ago, and like me, couldn't hold back their tears when they saw it.
Juno Beach. Friends of mine were there a few years ago, and like me, couldn't hold back their tears when they saw it.
Canada House - on Juno Beach.  It is a famous house, and was standing on the day of the invasion.  You may recognize it from old film reels of the Canadians landing on the beach.
Canada House - on Juno Beach. It is a famous house, and was standing on the day of the invasion. You may recognize it from old film reels of the Canadians landing on the beach.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Attachments
Remains of a German bunker on Juno Beach.  The bunker is slowly sinking into the sea.  We were wondering how many Germans were killed in that bunker when the Canadians finally took it.  No prisoners were taken by those guys when they took the bunkers.
Remains of a German bunker on Juno Beach. The bunker is slowly sinking into the sea. We were wondering how many Germans were killed in that bunker when the Canadians finally took it. No prisoners were taken by those guys when they took the bunkers.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Attachments
US Cemetery next to Omaha Beach.  You might recognize it from the movie "Saving Private Ryan".  The person in charge of this cemetery is actually a Canadian.
US Cemetery next to Omaha Beach. You might recognize it from the movie "Saving Private Ryan". The person in charge of this cemetery is actually a Canadian.
View from a German bunker on Omaha Beach.  It was a turkey shoot.  It's no wonder the Americans had the highest casualty rate of any of the beaches.
View from a German bunker on Omaha Beach. It was a turkey shoot. It's no wonder the Americans had the highest casualty rate of any of the beaches.
Remains of one of the Mulberry Harbours brought over by the Allies as artificial loading docks.  Miracle of modern engineering.  75 years later and the concrete portions of it are still standing.  This was the British Harbour.  The US one was destroyed in a storm only a week after D-Day.
Remains of one of the Mulberry Harbours brought over by the Allies as artificial loading docks. Miracle of modern engineering. 75 years later and the concrete portions of it are still standing. This was the British Harbour. The US one was destroyed in a storm only a week after D-Day.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Attachments
Canadian artillery piece at Verrières Ridge.  A lot of Canadians were killed around this ridge during Operation Spring in July 1944.  Few people know about it.  A lot of the Canadians lying in Beny-sur-Mer fell in this operation.
Canadian artillery piece at Verrières Ridge. A lot of Canadians were killed around this ridge during Operation Spring in July 1944. Few people know about it. A lot of the Canadians lying in Beny-sur-Mer fell in this operation.
Canadian war cemetery at Bény-sur-Mer in Normandy.  2,600 young men lie there.  Hard to keep a dry eye while walking through this place.  Impossible in fact.
Canadian war cemetery at Bény-sur-Mer in Normandy. 2,600 young men lie there. Hard to keep a dry eye while walking through this place. Impossible in fact.
German cemetery in Normandy.  They are allowed a place for their dead, though the French won't allow any "glamorization" of their cemetery, so they don't get the same treatment as the Allied cemeteries.
German cemetery in Normandy. They are allowed a place for their dead, though the French won't allow any "glamorization" of their cemetery, so they don't get the same treatment as the Allied cemeteries.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Attachments
Switching to WW1 now.  This is a picture of the monument at Beaumont-Hamel in the Somme.  This monument is dedicated to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment.  They sustained heavy losses in one of the many battles and were almost completely wiped out during an offensive in 1916.  There were towns in Newfoundland that suddenly were without any young men.  An entire generation just disappeared in a few hours.
Switching to WW1 now. This is a picture of the monument at Beaumont-Hamel in the Somme. This monument is dedicated to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment. They sustained heavy losses in one of the many battles and were almost completely wiped out during an offensive in 1916. There were towns in Newfoundland that suddenly were without any young men. An entire generation just disappeared in a few hours.
The beach at Dieppe.  The beach is covered in small stones that limit the traction for tanks, so most of the tanks that were supposed to support the Canadian raid on Dieppe bogged down and never left the beach.  The Canadians lost almost 1,500 killed or wounded, and another almost 2,000 captured.  It was a complete disaster.  The Canadians never had a chance.  This view is from a German bunker over-looking the beach.
The beach at Dieppe. The beach is covered in small stones that limit the traction for tanks, so most of the tanks that were supposed to support the Canadian raid on Dieppe bogged down and never left the beach. The Canadians lost almost 1,500 killed or wounded, and another almost 2,000 captured. It was a complete disaster. The Canadians never had a chance. This view is from a German bunker over-looking the beach.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Attachments
French ossuary.  The bones of 20,000 soldiers are beneath this structure.  This is not far from Vimy Ridge.  The French paid a terrible price in WW1.
French ossuary. The bones of 20,000 soldiers are beneath this structure. This is not far from Vimy Ridge. The French paid a terrible price in WW1.
Vimy Ridge monument.  Pictures just do not do this monument justice.  You have to see it in person.
Vimy Ridge monument. Pictures just do not do this monument justice. You have to see it in person.
20190605_103419.jpg
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Attachments
Last stop of the journey - Passchendaele.  16,000 Canadians killed or wounded in this battle.  Just unbelievable sacrifice, especially considering that Canada only had 8 million people at this point in its history.
Last stop of the journey - Passchendaele. 16,000 Canadians killed or wounded in this battle. Just unbelievable sacrifice, especially considering that Canada only had 8 million people at this point in its history.
So proud to be a Canadian!!!!!!!
So proud to be a Canadian!!!!!!!

Return to “Canada”