Swastika not getting a fair shake

mnprochnau
Banned

Swastika not getting a fair shake

Post by mnprochnau »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/25 ... inted-over
It may seem strange to most of you but at one point in history the swastika was a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indian religions In the Western world, it was a symbol of auspiciousness and good luck until the 1930s, when it was perverted by the Nazi party and left with the bad image it has had until this day and I fear that positive image will never come back again for the swastika as long as fear and ignorance of the world war II continues. On the other hand there has been much perversion of ancient symbols over the centuries, first and foremost being the cross. For hundreds of years the cross was a torturous method of execution taking the lives of uncounted thousands perhaps hundreds of thousands for centuries and now it is a symbol of peace. Does the iconic symbol of the cross stir up feelings of fear for the implement of death it really is. Nope. A perversion of the true nature of what the cross is and what it once symbolized for the supressed and weak. The swastika had a bad run for what like a decade plus or minus a few years compared to centuries of death dealing crosses. You don't have to like it but it is the truth and if you cant agree there is a hole in the sand over there for your head.
Last edited by mnprochnau on Jun 2nd, 2019, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Swastika not getting a fair shake

Post by Bsuds »

mnprochnau wrote:the swastika as long as fear and ignorance of the first world war continues.

It was adopted by Hitler and the Nazi party in 1920 and had little to do in WW1.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

There is a country north of Germany that continued to use swastika after ww2
https://www.businessinsider.com/swastik ... ses-2018-9
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

BCH.jpg

Even British Columbia used the swastika. Here it is in the border of a tax on restaurant meals from the 1930s. The stamp had to be affixed to the bill given to patrons in restaurants. It was to fund hospitals.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Here is a wiki explanation showing the history of the left and right- facing symbol.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

People give far too much weight to what was probably just an insensitive "prank" committed by a few teens who didn't fully understand the dreadful symbolism of the image they painted.

Improving our schools' history curriculum would probably do more good than the moral outrage exhibited in the mainstream media over such events.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

But...but..Merry!

Did they paint the symbol with its original intent(s) or with the stolen and misappropriated Nazi intent?

Lawyers will have a field day with that question. Not that any of the stellar, upcoming youth of today ever parted a curtain to peer behind the scene.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mike Br. »

Every *bleep* was once virgin. Can’t go back. Get over it!
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

"There are good people on both sides".
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Seems Op comments not read! Haha. No surprise there.

Unknown
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

How is this even a discussion. Yes historically the symbol was used for other purposes, meaning we can't use the current meaning of it pre ww2, however today it is arguably THE symbol for evil.

There is no discussion to the contrary. It shouldn't even be debated. Don't use it. Why? Millions upon millions died for what that symbol stood and still stands for.

The reason why you and I are able to even have this conversation is the reason why that symbol should die. There's zero use for it today.
Stable Genius

Post by Stable Genius »

Edit: removed comment. May have misread intent of op.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

There's only one reason to intentionally draw that symbol today and that's to *bleep* people off.
Even that Hitler moustache may never come back, but I recently saw some guy on local tv being interviewed who had one , kinda odd.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Interesting that...

A symbol used for two thousand years signifying peace and tranquility gets hijacked by a crowd of gangsters who are then beaten into submission, but the symbol NOW represents the thugs and NOT the intended peaceful, original message.

Return to “North Okanagan”