Scott Anderson thinks Penticton has solutions - NOT!

southy
Lord of the Board

Scott Anderson thinks Penticton has solutions - NOT!

Post by southy »

I read the story about how Counsellor Scott Anderson would like to introduce a Loitering Bylaw similar to what Penticton has done. Perhaps Mr Anderson should take a closer look at the Penticton situation. Not much different than Vernon. Bylaw will go through for Penticton but then you have to enforce it. A $100 fine. Yes, these homeless folks have an extra 100 bucks kicking around in their pocket to pay said fine. And if not? Jail for you! Community service? Not sure. What I do know is homelessness and addiction is not an isolated Vernon problem. Kelowna has it as does Penticton. Perhaps the three cities could get together with Provincial and Federal Authorities (wait a sec - isn't Mr Anderson involved federally?) They can brainstorm and come up with some sort of solution that will help all three centers. Just moving these people isn't the answer. Fining them isn't going to work. This is a major issue and needs to be dealt with in a major way. I don't have the answer, but perhaps there are those out there who do. I hope Mr Anderson is sincere in his approach to finding a solution and not just playing politics as it has sometimes appeared to be the case. Good luck Vernon.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: Scott Anderson thinks Penticton has solutions - NOT!

Post by Hassel99 »

No one has said “not” in 25 years....

Scott was/is connected to the provincial Conservatives not federal.

Gotta try new things to see if they work. Fines may not work, but more interaction with authorities may mitigate propert crime and areas being over run.

I don’t know if it will help or not, but I don’t hear any other suggestions from city council or yourself for that matter.

Time will tell
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Maybe we should bring back walled cities? :138:
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Has anyone anywhere gotten the whole homeless junky thing right? If so let's copy that instead
Country plough boy
Übergod

Post by Country plough boy »

Scott wanted the portugal model in another post. Scott is out to lunch. Devriminilization is not the answer. Nothing short of enforcing the laws will work. Use the law to help the public. Not to enable the scumbaggs
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Hassel99 wrote:No one has said “not” in 25 years....

Scott was/is connected to the provincial Conservatives not federal.

Gotta try new things to see if they work. Fines may not work, but more interaction with authorities may mitigate propert crime and areas being over run.

I don’t know if it will help or not, but I don’t hear any other suggestions from city council or yourself for that matter.

Time will tell

Hassel .. read my friggin' post will ya. Provincial or federal really doesn't matter what the hell his affiliation is but to me he is nothing more than a wanna be professional politician. He is taking a play out of the City of Penticton's playbook. Now that is creative problem solving. I live in Penticton … I can tell you there are problems with what they are trying to do. I also stated I don't have a solution, but, perhaps those on council, those involved provincially, federally and throughout all the social agencies can put their heads together and hopefully find a solution. I also see you are full of solutions there Hassel.... NOT!! :up:
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Hassel my friend … here is just one more reason why Mr. Anderson's by-law idea just might not work.

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/arti ... f6f4d.html
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

What don't you people get about the no loitering by law. They know they're not going to get a lot of money from fines. I hardly think that's the endgame. but at least if a law is in written in the books and then place it gives the police a right to push them out of there anytime now. And that's bad how?. Think about it for a second at more than one angle. If there was no law against it they don't have a right to move them then did they but now they would be able to.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

jimmy4321 wrote:Has anyone anywhere gotten the whole homeless junky thing right? If so let's copy that instead
I could care less if they're homeless or Junkies. In a civilized Society you don't lay down where people are trying to conduct business and have to walk around you. You wouldn't let your kid do it if you're downtown so why should it be acceptable to do. Go lay somewhere else if you're going to lay down. It's a respect thing. Clearly junkies don't have respect for anybody and most homeless don't either.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Do nothing. Let the free range homeless continue to run wild in our communities doing whatever they want.

When an idea or suggestion comes up to solve the problem the bleeding hearts can oppose or shut it down with the typical cries of affordable housing and mental health issues.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Country plough boy wrote:Scott wanted the portugal model in another post. Scott is out to lunch. Devriminilization is not the answer. Nothing short of enforcing the laws will work. Use the law to help the public. Not to enable the scumbaggs

This might be the first time that I agree with anything that Anderson has said. The Portuguese model IS working.
Country plough boy
Übergod

bob vernon wrote:
Country plough boy wrote:Scott wanted the portugal model in another post. Scott is out to lunch. Devriminilization is not the answer. Nothing short of enforcing the laws will work. Use the law to help the public. Not to enable the scumbaggs

This might be the first time that I agree with anything that Anderson has said. The Portuguese model IS working.

To be fair. In portugal they enforce the laws. Here we do not. It wont work here
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

common_sense_guy wrote:What don't you people get about the no loitering by law. They know they're not going to get a lot of money from fines. I hardly think that's the endgame. but at least if a law is in written in the books and then place it gives the police a right to push them out of there anytime now. And that's bad how?. Think about it for a second at more than one angle. If there was no law against it they don't have a right to move them then did they but now they would be able to.

You miss the point Common-Sense. I didn't say it was about the money. They will never collect it. Then what? What's the next step? Agree there has to be a law - but the difficulty is in the enforcing of said law. These people know how to play the game. If it's a by-law … I don't suspect the police to be enforcing it. Your city by-law militia will be out in their bullet proof uniforms enforcing the by-law. You say .."push them out" where exactly are you going to push them to? Penticton :smt045 , yup that would make sense. NOT!! This is a major problem and must be addressed in a major way. The answers are not simple and it will take greater participation from all levels of government of social agencies to initiate change.
Country plough boy
Übergod

Saskatchewan has figured it out. They give the skids bus tickets to BC
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Give these people a designated area to setup a homeless camp. Provide a half dozen porta potties, dumpsters, and a place to discard used needles. Have round the clock police patrols in the surrounding area. Any new homeless camps that pop up are immediately shut down and redirected to the designated homeless camp area. Enforce loitering laws with fines. If fines can't be paid then community service or a few days in local jail.

Return to “North Okanagan”