Vernon Cultural Centre

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Vernon Cultural Centre

Post by bob vernon »

Museums are very expensive. In order to preserve old documents and artifacts, an expensive heating and cooling system is required to maintain temperature AND humidity so that those old items aren't wrecked over time.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

tabubil wrote:I would like some feed back on this idea.
Instead of spending $45 million dollars of RDNO taxpayers money on a new building for the centre why do they not buy the old Canadian Tire store, they could most likely get it for $1 million and even if they spend 2 million to upgrade it this would be so much cheaper than 45+million.
Lots of parking, big open area with office area, on a main road and it would save us the taxpayers so so so much money.
That is if we really need a new centre as we have never gotten all the correct information.

this idea has way two much resounding common sense there fore it would be totally rejected by elected officials in charge
because they usually have very little CS ;;;;;
the arrogance and narrow minded officials would have to actually rethink some of the design prints that we most likely have
already purchased to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollar already
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Common sense shows us that the world is flat. I have a level in my workshop and it proves it. It's just common sense.

Just saying something is common sense means nothing. When there is an all-candidates meeting prior to an election, my daughter and I count the number of times each candidate uses the phrase "common sense" and "vibrant community". Those candidates who can provide reason and facts don't use them.

Building a new $45 million museum IS common sense to some of us. Others are outraged. Is the new museum needed, or too expensive, or in the wrong place?
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

I just read on Castanet that the new director has given all staff 3 months written notice that their jobs are gone and can apply for the new ones.
He is admitting that the museum is in financial trouble and so to spend more money he is bringing in a consultant to help get the society on a better financial footing so they can still justify a new $40 MILLION DOLLAR building.
Come on Vernon council and RDNO get of the pot an stop this, admit that we the public were never given all the financial numbers to justify a new a much to big building.
Lets have another referendum that is completely open, have all the financials and proper business plan checked and verified by an independent accounting firm which can lay out the good and bad about the idea.
The council and RDNO will be asking us over the next several years to spend the amount that we spend on the building plus a lot more on other facilities that are needed more than this, but will we be able to get the loans and a reasonable rate to build them.
CITIZENS OF VERNON NO IS THE TIME TO STAND UP AND TELL OUR COUNCIL AND RDNO THAT WE WANT HONESTY AND TRANSPARENCY IN OUR ELECTED MEMBERS.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/26 ... -at-museum
Last edited by ferri on Jul 17th, 2019, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link to article added.
LyricalOne

Post by LyricalOne »

Admittedly, we have all known that the museum either needs to grow or align with another like minded organization (Vernon Arts Council for example) to pool resources and be stronger as a union. Instead, the choice has been to move forward with an expensive project. I feel, and I qualify this as my feelings only, that this is a sign of a small community wanting to show their investment in the arts and the heritage of the area and also to show that we can keep up with the bigger cities. I have also recently read that there was a suggestion to reface the Canadian Tire building and house the new Museum there....fabulous idea as it will reduce the costs of new development and the related woes of parking issues.

As for transparency on Council...pfffttt...until Councillors Garis and Anderson are off Council, nothing will ever improve...these two are so toxic ...but I digress.....

I applaud the new director for recognizing a problem and trying to deal with it but shame on the Board for putting him in this position to begin with!
"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy."
"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly"[/b]
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

To LyricalOne I have written to the city council and are now asking that the Vernon art centre also have a financial check carried out to see if they did not disclose their financial problems to get the referendum. I have also asked them to make any and all results free to the public and should be posted on the city's web site.
As for a small town trying to live up to its big city cousins not to the tune of 25 millions dollars in loans when we need more things of importance before this.
I think it is shameful of the board not to have told the public about the financial problems with the museum before the referendum, I did ask many different people about the financial condition of both the museum and arts centre and nothing came forward.
These like yours are my conclusions and opinions but we have many more than two that have to go from council it was a shame that we had to lose Mr Spiers.

Return to “North Okanagan”