Climate change.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Mark5
Board Meister

Climate change.

Post by Mark5 »

You won`t see this in the mainstream media.

Jlabute
Guru

Re: Climate change.

Post by Jlabute »

The warm periods are relatively short. We should be happy for them and use the time to make sure we survive real climate change in the future when the next ice age comes. Unfortunately Canada has declared a climate emergency, and right now, there are fire trucks in every city!!!! lol. What an absolute joke.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

A new study by researchers at Turku University in Finland found that the human contribution to a rise of 0.1°C in global temperatures over the last century is just 0.01°C.

The paper, titled ‘No experimental evidence for the significant anthropogenic climate change’ was published by Jyrki Kauppinen and Pekka Malmi.

https://summit.news/2019/07/11/new-finn ... te-change/
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

Most people don't rely on youtube videos and outlier "research" to form a consensus.

I'm sure I can find youtube videos and scientists who are convinced the Moon is made from cheese.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

crookedmember wrote:Most people don't rely on youtube videos and outlier "research" to form a consensus.

I'm sure I can find youtube videos and scientists who are convinced the Moon is made from cheese.

You can follow the links. Just sayin'.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1907.00165.pdf
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
ninetyninepct
Fledgling

Post by ninetyninepct »

*removed*
Last edited by WalterWhite on Jul 16th, 2019, 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-Topic
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Climate change is getting out of hand, I really don’t like this unseasonably cool weather.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/ne ... per-trough

“Not only are the upper level winds off the charts, the temperatures aloft are near climatological minimums. Just five or so kilometres above sea level, temperatures are forecast to be closer to -25°C, a formidable achievement in summer.”
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

And if it's cool here, it's cool everywhere. Right?

By the way, some locations in the eastern US will reach humidex levels of 50 degrees C today and Saturday. That's the result of temperatures near 40 C with very high humidity flowing up from the southern US and the Gulf of Mexico where the water temperatures have started exceeding 30 degrees C. People will die in humidexes of 50 C.
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

Maybe we should all move to the Artic. I hear it's even warmer than parts of Europe. :biggrin:
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

floppi wrote:Maybe we should all move to the Artic. I hear it's even warmer than parts of Europe. :biggrin:

The Canadian Arctic certainty isn’t warmer than parts of Europe.
If you’re planning a trip to Resolute Bay, dress warm.
Attachments
E2B8D570-F1EE-4D17-B8AE-89C04A969D86.jpeg
Póg Mo Thoin
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/he ... -1.5212801

The weather agency confirmed that Canadian Forces Station Alert hit a record of 21 C on Sunday. On Monday, the military listening post on the top of Ellesmere Island had reached 20 C by noon and inched slightly higher later in the day.

Alert was warmer both days than Victoria, B.C., a Canadian go-to for balmy climes.

The average July high for Alert is 7 C. Phillips said that means the heat wave at the top of the world is the equivalent of Toronto registering a daytime high of 42 C.

Phillips said it's the latest anomaly in what's been a long, hot summer across the Arctic.

Iqaluit saw the mercury rise to 23.5 C on July 9, Nunavut Day — the highest ever for that day. Alaska had its second-warmest June on record.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

The problem with the topic of climate change is that it has become politicized, and is no longer a sensible, scientific discussion.

There are folks on BOTH sides of the argument who really have no clue what they're talking about, and are just spouting the opinions of other folks who also have no clue what they're talking about.

It's a case of the uninformed leading the even more uninformed around "by the nose", often for reasons that have more to do with politics than the environment.

The masses have taken sides, and dug in, becoming unwilling to even listen to points of view that don't reinforce their own view, much less actually consider those alternative viewpoints.

And, in the meantime, environmental pollution continues pretty much unabated.

I'd like to see the argument about whether or not there actually is climate change going on, and what is causing it, shift and become a debate about doing what we can to reduce industrial pollution (without destroying our economy), and clean up already polluted sites.

In other words, shift from the theoretical and virtue signaling to practical applications that really will make a difference.

Case in point, both the Provincial NDP and the Federal Liberals claim to be concerned about our environment and want to do whatever we can to protect it. Yet NEITHER level of Government has taken any meaningful action to ensure that those responsible for the largest dam breach in Canadian history are brought to justice. It's been 5 years since the Mt. Polley dam broke, and no charges have yet been laid.
https://vancouversun.com/business/local ... m-collapse

I'm a supporter of mining; everything I own is thanks to that particular industry. But I believe that when companies don't follow the rules, they ought to be held accountable for it. Because one bad apple can spoil it for everyone else. That dam breach at Polley gave the entire industry a black eye, and I'm not the only one involved in mining that thinks Imperial Metals should have been made an example of, to demonstrate that neither Governments nor the mining industry condone irresponsible behaviour.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

You want proof? Well here it is.

warming.jpg
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Merry wrote:I'd like to see the argument about whether or not there actually is climate change going on, and what is causing it,

Just to highlight this part of your comment if I may; yes climate change is going on, the earth has always experienced cooling and warming periods since the beginning of the planet.. The argument now is, are we still in a warming period as some climate scientists claim, or has the warming period actually ended as some climate scientists are now suggesting, and the biggest question of all, what’s really causing the climate to change at this point in time... is it man made, or is it natural and cyclical, or a combination of the two.....

This news link really bothers me..
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#261713
Especially this sentence that says Canadians students are being taught that climate change is completely man-made..

“High school students in Canada may not be getting the full story about climate change, according to a new study by researchers from the University of British Columbia and Lund University in Sweden.

The study analysed high school science textbooks and curricula in all 13 provinces and territories and interviewed people responsible for curriculum design in six provinces.

It found in general, Canadian curricula covers the facts that climate change is happening and that it's caused by humans, but not the strength of the scientific consensus behind climate change, its impacts or solutions.”
Last edited by Hurtlander on Jul 21st, 2019, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Póg Mo Thoin
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

School textbooks have often been used as vehicles for propaganda for the prevailing views of the day. That's nothing new.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”