Noxious Weeds invading Okanagan

kiabird
Fledgling

Noxious Weeds invading Okanagan

Post by kiabird »

RE: Castanet's story on Scotch Thistle etc.

Interesting that RDNO, Coldstream, and City of Vernon all have Noxious Weeds bylaws.
Yet they themselves do nothing to control Scotch Thistle and that white Hoary Alyssum on city-owned lands.
But bylaws are quick to point out that homeowners must control weeds on their property.

From the traffic light at 15th (7/11 store) heading SE on Hwy 6, the berm north of Sarsons road has thousands and thousands of Thistles ready to fly. Thistles continue on that side of the highway throughout the Trintec property (mosquito haven/heaven at the pond) to the RDNO office.

Prevailing winds are westerly so Coldstream/Lavington will continue to be inundated with these things.

Hoary alyssum could've been stopped when RDNO actively sprayed years ago, yet now it's everywhere in fields and roadsides, threatening the health of horses.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Re: Noxious Weeds invading Okanagan

Post by Ingevan22 »

Everyone must do their part or we cannot win this weed war. All that Hoary Alyssum is awful indeed.

Trintec property is located in Coldstream - and I suspect that is private, not government property - so as you pointed out, the property owner could then receive a notice from the DoC to comply with their bylaw, likely in response to a complaint they receive - not sure how pro-active bylaw enforcement is in Coldstream?
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

kiabird - you should call into the Municipal Office and mention it. If it is City property they may do something about it and, if not, they'll send the by-law officer out. Either way the problem will, hopefully, be taken care of.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

kiabird wrote:RE: Castanet's story on Scotch Thistle etc.

Interesting that RDNO, Coldstream, and City of Vernon all have Noxious Weeds bylaws.
Yet they themselves do nothing to control Scotch Thistle and that white Hoary Alyssum on city-owned lands.
But bylaws are quick to point out that homeowners must control weeds on their property.

From the traffic light at 15th (7/11 store) heading SE on Hwy 6, the berm north of Sarsons road has thousands and thousands of Thistles ready to fly. Thistles continue on that side of the highway throughout the Trintec property (mosquito haven/heaven at the pond) to the RDNO office.

Prevailing winds are westerly so Coldstream/Lavington will continue to be inundated with these things.

Hoary alyssum could've been stopped when RDNO actively sprayed years ago, yet now it's everywhere in fields and roadsides, threatening the health of horses.

The RDNO DID do spraying this spring in our area of the city, spraying a large infestation of Scotch thistle along the newest section of the Grey Canal. Do they spray on private property? I don't think so. And along the highway? Isn't that the province's thing. Or their contractor? And we know contractors hate actually doing things along the road. It costs money.
The prevailing wind direction in Coldstream/Lavington is actually a cool air drainage wind from the east for most of the day.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#263268

If this is the plant I think it is these things are incredible. Really broad leaved, doesnt seem like a thistle and then seemingly overnight they grow a 2 foot stalk that eventually hangs enough burrs to give your pets nightmares. We have some where we camp and only pulled once they got burrs. Bees seemed to enjoy the plant so just left it alone. I'm not up on this stuff so good on Castanet for informing dinguses like myself so we can dig up before they go to seed. :up:
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
2Switzerland

Post by 2Switzerland »

I just have one thing to say: The Okanagan is the weed capital of the World.
kiabird
Fledgling

Post by kiabird »

One would think that City of Vernon, Coldstream and/or RDNO would contact Ministry of Transportation to look after weeds on highway corridors.

Seems the spread of noxious weeds has increased dramatically.
Probably while they were all writing their Noxious Weeds Bylaws. :smt045
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

collectively if these weeds are that much danger coldstream Vernon and BC government should be doing their part to spray and eradicate
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

Okeefe Ranch July 18/19.
My son is 6 ft tall and the weeds are higher than him.
I sent this picture in along with the exact location to RDNO.
Never heard anything back from them about my report.
And have not had time to go back and check yet.
Attachments
Weed at O'Keefe Ranch July 18 2019.jpg
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Post by bigtimeoperations »

The Scotch Thistle has become a downright serious problem in the Vernon area. Starting to pop up in the Kelowna area now too. :-X

I especially hate the skeleton weed that grows on roadsides all over Southern BC, epecially the Okanagan! Looks terrible. And don't get me started on the Siberian Elm and Tree of Heaven!
Don't Vancouver our Kelowna!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

There is an entire thread devoted to Siberian Elm. Noxious tree, hideously long roots and very tough to eradicate.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:Okeefe Ranch July 18/19.
My son is 6 ft tall and the weeds are higher than him.
I sent this picture in along with the exact location to RDNO.
Never heard anything back from them about my report.
And have not had time to go back and check yet.

O'Keefe Ranch is located in Spallumcheen and is owned by the City of Vernon. So if you sent in your complaint to RDNO, it may have been forwarded to the City of Vernon's own Weed Control Officer, OR the RDNO may have sent the City an official letter as the City owns this property. Either way, you can follow up with RDNO's Weed Control Officer 250.550.3749 if these weeds are still on the Ranch.

We all must do our part, whether that is controlling or removing the weeds from our own properties or reporting the infestations we see to the appropriate authorities.

I know for sure that RDNO works closely with MOTI, and that RDNO refers reports of weeds in Coldstream and Vernon to those respective municipalities for follow up (as they each have their own Weed Control).

Kiabird, why not follow up with RDNO Weed Control to learn more about how they work, what their priorities are this year, etc.?

And 2Switzerland is correct, nearly everything grows in the Okanagan, including weeds!

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
kiabird
Fledgling

Post by kiabird »

Kiabird, why not follow up with RDNO Weed Control to learn more about how they work, what their priorities are this year, etc.?

I did call a Mr. Friesen of RDNO (albeit a few years ago about the Scotch Thistles growing near my place).
Don't know if he's still in that position, but I do recall it wasn't a very pleasant or constructive discussion.
He basically made excuses for why the landowner had what appeared to be hundreds of thistles, five feet tall...something to the effect of "he works up north and is often away". So? Get out there and spray the guy's place! And send him the bill.

To be fair, this year, that person's property has been mowed and not one thistle is evident. Yay!

But the thousands of thistles on Hwy 6 will contaminate everyone's hard work.
On a windy day you can see them flying in the air...

That picture of the 6 ft. tall fellow with Thistles...wow... :-X
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Kiabird, so glad to know that you spoke with John Friesen, and also good to hear, that the thistle-infested property you mentioned is now better managed.

It is a time-consuming process, sending property owners letters to comply with the bylaw and then checking again & waiting for 'em to comply - there are timelines set, and if folks don't comply with those timelines, RDNO has to follow its process and ask 'em again, and it seems as you mentioned, that when you call to inquire as to when those weeds are finally getting removed, that RDNO is instead, making excuses for all those non-compliant property owners!

And of course you know, that folks do come up with all sorts of excuses when they receive a notice to clean up - I'm working out of town, my relative is in hospital, I'm not the only owner, I'm getting divorced so just wait till that goes through then my ex-spouse can clean it up, etc.

RDNO will charge the property owner for cleanup, but that requires more notice and likely also Regional Board approval - in my experience, most politicians are not fond of actually enforcing bylaws when it could wind up costing the property owner many hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Absolutely agreed, that we need all of us to battle these weeds together - as you said, the seeds are flying!

If O'Keefe Ranch insists on being part of the problem by continuing to grow thistles 6' or taller, I have no problem reporting that.

Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Turns out I don't know everything, after all! [icon_lol2.gif]

For properties located in Spallumcheen such as the O'Keefe Ranch mentioned above, RDNO forwards enforcement to the Township of Spallumcheen which has its own Good Neighbour bylaw to enforce, similar to Coldstream, Vernon, etc.

So an order to comply would come from the respective municipality in which the weed-infested property is located. Is this what you are referring to Kiabird, about all jurisdictions having to write and then enforce their own bylaws?

I was advised that RDNO provides education, advice & inspections when requested, anywhere in the North Okanagan.

Return to “North Okanagan”