OVER paid sales clerks and stock people in West Kelowna

A potpourri of off-topics.
I Give Up
Fledgling

OVER paid sales clerks and stock people in West Kelowna

Post by I Give Up »

Does Anyone really need 20 highly paid people to work in a government pot shop in West Kel. 20 people for one store, $20 - $30+ per hour, paid holidays, full benefits, dental plan, medical, pension benefits WTH? Pot is gonna cost a fortune to cover these costs. Why not give the small guy a chance to make a buck? Way too much government already!
Westside = Bestside...lets keep it that way!
mexi cali
Guru

Re: OVER paid sales clerks and stock people in West Kelowna

Post by mexi cali »

As with any retail venture or really, any place that invites you to come in and spend money, if you don't like the shop or can't afford the prices...…….Well now, you know what comes next.

Why grouse about something that you have no control over?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Additionally, we live in an area where one of the biggest biiitches is that no one can afford to live here. So we have a business that is going to pay a decent wage and some of us aren't happy with that either?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

Post by DetectivePikachu »

Feel free to open up your own dispensary and pay your few staff peanuts.

Its a bit of a process so you best get started...
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

What on EARTH does the OP have against an occupation where people are earing a good wage?

What is it with these people? Jealousy? Government Liquor store employees are given a heckuvalot better training than the private liquor shops, and I will venture a guess that the MJ training will be no different. From my experience, the product knowledge from a BLCB sales associate is almost always better than that of an underpaid cashier (checking her phone every 30 seconds) at most private stores. Of course there are some exceptions in that there are a handful of boutique stores that have a different vibe with knowledgeable staff... oh, yeah: their prices are HIGHER than BLCB stores.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Ace Storman

Post by Ace Storman »

Hey " I give up"

Don't *bleep* and complain. Those are good paying jobs. They provide for quality of living and support the local economy.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

i am full on against buying the govt weed but if you can get a job selling it for 30 bucks an hour plus benefits i can not fault someone for taking that job
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

In my pot shop, I'll pay min wage, no benefits for you. Do not even ask for dental or medical. And a pension to retire on, fat chance. I'll pay the working stiffs as little as possible, charge as much as possible for my product. Pocket as much cash as I can under the table. Keep it all to myself and not a chance on passing the gains onto the purchaser by lowering prices.

Does that work better for yah? :up:
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

zoo wrote:In my pot shop, I'll pay min wage, no benefits for you. Do not even ask for dental or medical. And a pension to retire on, fat chance. I'll pay the working stiffs as little as possible, charge as much as possible for my product. Pocket as much cash as I can under the table. Keep it all to myself and not a chance on passing the gains onto the purchaser by lowering prices.

Does that work better for yah? :up:

LOL, love that sarcasm.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

I Give Up wrote:Does Anyone really need 20 highly paid people to work in a government pot shop in West Kel. 20 people for one store, $20 - $30+ per hour, paid holidays, full benefits, dental plan, medical, pension benefits WTH? Pot is gonna cost a fortune to cover these costs. Why not give the small guy a chance to make a buck? Way too much government already!

Do you have a link stating they are looking to hire 20 people when they haven't applied for rezoning or a business licence?

The Liquor Distribution Branch will be able to apply for a cannabis retail licence in West Kelowna after all.

Council reversed a decision late last month that initially blocked the province from applying for a government cannabis store.
The initial 3-3 vote effectively blocked the application, however, Mayor Gord Milsom asked that council reconsider the request this week when all councillors were present.

Coun. Rick de Jong, who was not at the first meeting, cast the tie-breaking vote in favour of moving the application forward.

The vote does not mean the government has been granted approval, but instead, allows it to make a rezoning application, which would then move through the municipal pipeline, including a public hearing.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#263626
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

Post by DetectivePikachu »

OP is not going to respond to any questions.

They gave up...
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Also, 20 people isn't a ton for a store that will need 4-5+ people on the floor, 7 days a week, plus management, supervisors, etc.

How dare an employer pay fair wages! Shouldn't we race to the bottom here?!?!?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Chances are that many of them will be part time so they don't get the benefits.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pieinthei »

yes.. how dare ANYONE pay a living wage.. is that wage before or after Kelowna's famous "sunshine tax"?
mattinkelowna
Fledgling

Post by mattinkelowna »

What I find immoral is them charging the same prices online than in store, without the expenses of a brick-and-mortar business.

At least offer free shipping ya know.

Return to “Grab Bag”