Awesome. Another park.

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Awesome. Another park.

Post by bob vernon »

My common sense tells me that we need many more parks. Someone else's common sense tells them that parks are bad and just places where drugs are sold.

My common sense tells me that we need to have concealed carry of firearms. Someone else's common sense tells them that more firearms is a bad thing.

Common sense tells me that we need higher interest rates. Donald's common sense tells him that we need even lower interest rates.

Trying to put forth a position on a controversial subject by merely saying that "it's just common sense that....." does nothing.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

common sense is a subjective opinion and its not good sense to put a city park in a bad area of a city as it will simply attract unwanted patrons
keithers00

Post by keithers00 »

For crying out loud, is it not obvious that that piece of land would be best used for a NEW RCMP location. Close to current overcrowded location, quick to reach either Highway 97 or 27th. St. and close to the downtown core. The current location was good years ago...not now as Vernon has grown and so has the need for more RCMP personnel...and their vehicles that now stick out everywhere on the side streets. Never will we have a piece of land so large to do this right...!
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

keithers00 wrote:For crying out loud, is it not obvious that that piece of land would be best used for a NEW RCMP location. Close to current overcrowded location, quick to reach either Highway 97 or 27th. St. and close to the downtown core. The current location was good years ago...not now as Vernon has grown and so has the need for more RCMP personnel...and their vehicles that now stick out everywhere on the side streets. Never will we have a piece of land so large to do this right...!

Keither .. You sound like an old time Vernonite with a lot of good old common sense. :130:
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

keithers00 wrote:For crying out loud, is it not obvious that that piece of land would be best used for a NEW RCMP location. Close to current overcrowded location, quick to reach either Highway 97 or 27th. St. and close to the downtown core. The current location was good years ago...not now as Vernon has grown and so has the need for more RCMP personnel...and their vehicles that now stick out everywhere on the side streets. Never will we have a piece of land so large to do this right...!

My "common sense" tells me that it's obvious that a new RCMP office should be the old Canadian Tire building. Quick to reach either Highway 97 or 27th. Never will we have a piece of land so large to do this right....!
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

bob u do mot understand how governments work; unless every thing is their idea in there chosen location all built to 2020
Taj Mahal specs it simply not good enough just look at a simple thing such as the 80 unit housing project down on 27 ave area
for the SB homeless ;; paved parking lot LOL not one person allowed to live there would own a vehicle fancy landscaping all in place for them to destroy I would love to look inside a unit in a year LOL :swear: :swear:
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Here's how gumment works. If ya got money, you get the attention of City council. You get to live in a community where the lazy homeless can't climb up to. And you get to demand good landscaping from the city. And even have it maintained by us all.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/26 ... ing-likely
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

two entirely different venues yet to be decided by the same group of idiots
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Bob and Don … just curious. Did you both vote in the last civic election? Did you feel your vote was cast for those individuals who offered solutions to your problems? Have you tried discussing your concerns with the elected mayor and council of the day? How about meeting with city hall management? There can be open dialogue that might bring positive results. It appears reading the Vernon thread that nothing ever gets done and I find that hard to believe.
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

To Southy I have lived in Vernon for 20 years now and on many occasions i have tried to talk with my elected council (yes I did vote in the last and every election) and except for Mr. Mund all the rest just brush you off. I submit letters with valid points to the council and to the respective managers and I basically get I do not know what I am talking about and leave it to the professionals. I am here to tell you and everyone that the general public usually has better ideas about their city than those who run it. We live and work in areas that most of council and staff rarely ever visit.
One example I called emailed operations regarding a dip in the pavement on our road 3 days later they sent a man out a he looked at it said not to worry and asked no questions then left. Earlier on the same day they were filling in dips in the pavement and drop over the one I reported and it is still there.
Do not get me started on the public hearings, these are the worst examples of trying to listen the public, as most of the time they just want to leave. So our cares fall on deaf ears.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

At least you tried. What about the ever vocal and opinionated Mr. Anderson? He seems to have his sights set on higher political aspirations. Unfortunate .. But as the saying goes .. Those who get into politics do so for either ego gratification or ulterior motives.
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/26 ... orary-rink

city nixed the idea of an outdoor skating rink by creating a $275,000 cost to put one in.
Only in Vernon would an outdoor ice sheet cost a 1/4 mil

Don and the crew in Lavington would love to have 1/10th of that for a budget
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Brushy Bill wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/268381/It-would-cost-too-much-to-make-temporary-rink

city nixed the idea of an outdoor skating rink by creating a $275,000 cost to put one in.
Only in Vernon would an outdoor ice sheet cost a 1/4 mil

Don and the crew in Lavington would love to have 1/10th of that for a budget

exactly what a poor excuse and most likely a highly exaggerated guess at best but hey we can spend 300K on the outhouse for the druggie dead beat street people no problem
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Sometimes things can happen very quickly when you report an issue to the City but sometimes it seems to take forever - perhaps because it is not as simple or straight-forward as we might think, or the solution requires cooperation from other governments?

Some issues are clearly 100% under the purview of the City. For example, I reported a hole in the pavement to the City for 3+ years, along with pics of us picking up chunks of asphalt & gravel as it kept worsening. I asked for flashing lights or signs to mark this dangerous hole and finally managed to get 'em to place a single traffic cone, that was then swallowed up by the hole every time someone drove through. Finally one day, in desperation, I posted on a popular local Facebook forum to warn folks about the giant hole and guess what, that hole gets paved, the VERY NEXT DAY. Coincidence??? Shall I continue reporting issues to the City, or shall I just post on Facebook?

In agreement with Bob Vernon about the fancy landscaping for fancy folks paid for by all of us taxpayers - we don't even have sidewalks in my neighbourhood, let alone landscaping. I think our community has far more pressing priorities to address, including wildfire prevention - according to last night's public info session, our area is a ticking timebomb.
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."

Return to “North Okanagan”