Re: Warbird flyby

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

oldtrucker wrote: It was in the movie Tora Tora Tora and TV show Black Sheep(? I think that's what it was called).

Black Sheep Squadron about pappy Boyington!

Loved that show
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

oldtrucker wrote:Now that I think about it...those two are the sexiest things my hands have ever touched, and the sexiest things my body parts have ever been in... :200: :biggrin:

I served in the US Navy during the Vietnam conflict and have been up close and personal with some very interesting stuff.

We watched the USS New Jersey fire broadsides during a major US landing operation. The ship moves 16 feet sideways when it does that. That's a ship that is 888' long and a beam of 108'. Now that's impressive!

When in port in the Philippines the Naval air station was just across Subic Bay and we could watch F4 Phantoms take off and landing all day long.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

I still recall a few years ago the first time I walked into a warbirds museum, the Palm Springs Air Museum. Wow, there were chills running up and down my back.
Can't wait to do it again.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Bsuds wrote:
oldtrucker wrote:Now that I think about it...those two are the sexiest things my hands have ever touched, and the sexiest things my body parts have ever been in... :200: :biggrin:

I served in the US Navy during the Vietnam conflict and have been up close and personal with some very interesting stuff.

We watched the USS New Jersey fire broadsides during a major US landing operation. The ship moves 16 feet sideways when it does that. That's a ship that is 888' long and a beam of 108'. Now that's impressive!

When in port in the Philippines the Naval air station was just across Subic Bay and we could watch F4 Phantoms take off and landing all day long.

I also can’t wrap my head around a ship that size doing 61 km/h either, basically the power in every way, shape and form is crazy.

They had the Silver Spitfire on the local news, beautiful machine!
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Before the Stones concert in Seattle a few weeks back, spent too short a time( 3 hours) at the museum of flight at Boeing field.
Not only was the Apollo 11 capsule on display I had the chance to walk through the WW2 exhibit. Spit. 109, P38, P40, Hell cat I believe, Corsair, P48, P51, B-17, B-29.
Loved it and have to give full marks to my wife that endured it all.
As mentioned, hearing a 12 cylinder Merlin engine is magical. Out of town for seeing this Spit, but have seen and heard them in the past. Even remember in the early 60's while outside at elementary school in Van. Two flew overhead maybe before or after remembrance day.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Gilchy wrote:
I also can’t wrap my head around a ship that size doing 61 km/h either, basically the power in every way, shape and form is crazy.

And the USS Enterprise which I also saw in the Wespac was a wee bit faster and quite a bit bigger.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Look at the ending credits. I was in a B-52 once, and at another time, I was in a WWII submarine..
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

You could see something there but we weren't that close most of the time. We were at General Quarters so didn't get to move around much. My station was in the engine room so only got out for the odd bit of fresh air.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

^^^ interesting, for me anyway. Didn't realize the coalition lost as many planes as they did. The F-4's last hurrah, as a wild weasel. F111's, Tornado's, A-6's have all been retired I believe and I have not heard much about the F-117 for todays missions.
Canada's F-18's should have been replaced years ago as well.

Watching the graphics, what an ATC's nightmare.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

oldtrucker wrote:
The F-4.....just its look screams 'I am 100% business'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prcrq9Sl55Y
I use to watch US Navy F4's do touch downs at the base in Subic Bay Phillipines in 68-71 when my ship was in port there.

They were practicing Aircraft Carrier landings. Was really interesting to watch them up close.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Bsuds wrote:
oldtrucker wrote:
The F-4.....just its look screams 'I am 100% business'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prcrq9Sl55Y
I use to watch US Navy F4's do touch downs at the base in Subic Bay Phillipines in 68-71 when my ship was in port there.

They were practicing Aircraft Carrier landings. Was really interesting to watch them up close.
I was standing at the top of Pike's Peak looking down at them a few years ago. That was cool as they were quite close.
I birn quil I se

Return to “Grab Bag”