Did Jesus Die on a Stake or a Cross?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Did Jesus Die on a Stake or a Cross?

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
capleton
Banned

Re: Did Jesus Die on a Stake or a Cross?

Post by capleton »

I think only the Jehovah Witnesses's believe he died on a stake but who cares? The more important question is whether or not a rotten corpse magically flew up to "heaven" or not. I'm thinking he didn't at all and I also wonder why none of the so called 500 witnesses described in the NT did not leave a single written record about it.
Btfsplck
Fledgling

Post by Btfsplck »

I'll take Neither for 1000 Alex.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

capleton wrote:I think only the Jehovah Witnesses's believe he died on a stake but who cares? The more important question is whether or not a rotten corpse magically flew up to "heaven" or not. I'm thinking he didn't at all and I also wonder why none of the so called 500 witnesses described in the NT did not leave a single written record about it.

Some of them wrote books we know today as the New Testament, but that's another topic.

As for this topic, I didn't realize that JWs think it was a stake. I agree that it's kind of a "who cares", though JWs would disagree. Maybe they think he was a vampire so it needed to be a stake.

Other religious groups have slightly different views. Muslims believe Jesus faked crucifixion, so he didn't actually die, and just went straight to heaven later on instead. Most Christian and secular scholars believe Jesus died on a cross, though they would obviously disagree on whether or not he rose from the dead.

The conspiracy theorist type of atheist believes Jesus never existed.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Glacier wrote:The conspiracy theorist type of atheist believes Jesus never existed.

Maybe. Can't speak for conspiracy theorist atheists, but it would be odd for anyone, atheist or otherwise, to "believe" he never existed.

I might not believe his existence is as told in the bible, but to choose to believe he never existed is a strange place to be.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

youjustcomplain wrote:
Glacier wrote:The conspiracy theorist type of atheist believes Jesus never existed.

Maybe. Can't speak for conspiracy theorist atheists, but it would be odd for anyone, atheist or otherwise, to "believe" he never existed.

I might not believe his existence is as told in the bible, but to choose to believe he never existed is a strange place to be.

Check out the Zeitgeist movies.
- Douglas Murray
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

What ever happened to the gods that predate jesus?

The Greeks believed for over 1000 years in their gods, 8 - 9,000 years before christ. The human race is a very fickle creature, their beliefs and have changed many times in the past.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

Maybe in a thousand years Chris Angel will be the new son of God.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Ranger66 wrote:Maybe in a thousand years Chris Angel will be the new son of God.

[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] :up: :up: :up:

Why not, he can already walk on water.

Bring back the LIKE button.
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

alanjh595 wrote:What ever happened to the gods that predate jesus?

The Greeks believed for over 1000 years in their gods, 8 - 9,000 years before christ. The human race is a very fickle creature, their beliefs and have changed many times in the past.

Hellenic pagans still exist I guess https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/ ... eligion.uk
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

Glacier wrote:
capleton wrote:I think only the Jehovah Witnesses's believe he died on a stake but who cares? The more important question is whether or not a rotten corpse magically flew up to "heaven" or not. I'm thinking he didn't at all and I also wonder why none of the so called 500 witnesses described in the NT did not leave a single written record about it.

Some of them wrote books we know today as the New Testament, but that's another topic.

As for this topic, I didn't realize that JWs think it was a stake. I agree that it's kind of a "who cares", though JWs would disagree. Maybe they think he was a vampire so it needed to be a stake.

Other religious groups have slightly different views. Muslims believe Jesus faked crucifixion, so he didn't actually die, and just went straight to heaven later on instead. Most Christian and secular scholars believe Jesus died on a cross, though they would obviously disagree on whether or not he rose from the dead.

The stuff in the NT is a claim, not evidence.

Sure Jesus may have existed but I don't believe the supernatural nonsense in the Gospel like being born from a virgin or walking on water or his rotting corpse rising to heaven. God magic is not a rational explanation for anything.
Lostnail

Post by Lostnail »

It was a stick. Or did he even die?
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

capleton wrote:
Glacier wrote: Some of them wrote books we know today as the New Testament, but that's another topic.

The stuff in the NT is a claim, not evidence.

Sure Jesus may have existed but I don't believe the supernatural nonsense in the Gospel like being born from a virgin or walking on water or his rotting corpse rising to heaven. God magic is not a rational explanation for anything.
Claims made hundreds of years after the fact without evidence should not be taken seriously. There is quite simply zero archeological evidence of Jesus. Meanwhile we have much real evidence of older individuals across many civilizations. Even the earliest Roman account of Jesus was written by someone who was born years after the supposed death of Jesus. Even then though Romans were also writing about Mars and Jupiter, so I wouldn't take second hand accounts from them of a "historical" figure too literally. In fact the date chosen to celebrate Jesus birth was just repurposed from Sol Invictus's' birth date 5 centuries after the fact.

Sure a real Jesus may have existed, but when you take away anything special about any of the claims or significance of the individual, then what does it matter? Since the person you believe exists simply doesn't. It's like having an estranged father and believing he was a doctor and a lawyer and an astronaut. When all of those claims turn out to be false you fall back on "That doesn't mean he doesn't exist. I had a father and you can't say I didn't". K, but that's not the argument. The argument was about the doctor lawyer astronaut...
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

I agree, definitely no real evidence of Jesus, although he could be a mesh of the dozens of religious figures wandering around at the time all claiming to be the Messiah. After all people make up stuff all time and nothing in Christianity is unique at all, all of it is a mixture of earlier pagan myths, Greek philosophy and Judaism
jonnygrizzay

Post by jonnygrizzay »

Not that anyone will actually watch these videos and research for themselves.... but there is plenty of evidence of Jesus' existence. Lots of evidence of other things that happened in the bible as well....... but the problem is not the evidence. Most people no matter how much evidence, will not believe because they dont want there to be a GOD whom they will be held accountable to one day. People also dont believe because they love their sin, and when you love your sin, you dont want anything to do with God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGQ_5rSBwIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtQhxz1KOf0

https://www.youtube.com/c/IsGenesisHistory/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWyWFV ... iTttfnDpXQ
cadillacs & impalas make real lowriders

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”