Gardening: berries, root veggies, flowers, trees - 2019!

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Gardening: berries, root veggies, flowers, trees - 2019!

Post by Queen K »

:200:
ETA: Might be a new event?

Of course it's on a bad weekend for what needs to be done around here. Might have to seriously check it out though.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Let me know how it is - I need to make room for some irises so I can't go.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I've got a Saskatoon dug out of my front garden. Can't place it unfortunately.

Who wants their very own Saskatoon berry bush? Americans call them Service berries. They are available at Art Knapp but I guarantee the berries off the this plant are the best. PM me.

I may also have a rose bush I can't place, I have to decide how badly I want the deck. :200:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Don't get rid of that stump qk.
Cut and square the stump, turn it over and now trim the root mass flat. Not done yet....find the centre and with a string run around the root mass at a radius of say 16 inches to start. Chainsaw the circle hoping to leave some evidence of all that chopping you did.
Now you should have a terrific upside down stump where a a piece of smoked tempered glass will give a smooth surface for those g&it's.....
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I think we're just going to edge it over to the fence and build a catio around it. Let he cats lounge on it.

So glad it's drying up right now, we have a shopping list a mile long for finishing that wall, minus sealant of course. :130:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:-X so much for "drying up."

I did get a lot of sunflower clipping done today. Gave away a small red rose and a few other plants.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

This was just posted on another thread:

ferri wrote::cuss:

71811075_2357418914305186_6410402580937048064_n.png

Pay attention to the: Actions To Take.
Bring back the LIKE button.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Sorry, the image didn't show as I wanted it.

Bring out the plastic sheets to cover your tender bits, tomatoes and such.

The gourds will be fine. You know, "just in case".

It is the first full day of Fall after all.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm taking in all kinds of stuff and clipping and pulling out and generally winding it all down.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I'm starting to clean up the yard as well. Bin is full and I'm waiting on pickup (next Wednesday). I moved a blueberry bush from a pot to a raised bed, hoping that it will prosper there as it did nothing this year.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

And acidify the soil. Ours gave a good number of blue berries despite the clay soil but it's acid clay soil.

I am all about clipping out old raspberry canes today. Gotta fill that bin. I am taking out the Goji berry too. It did not "give" like I had hoped. Regretting letting those Gold Raspberries at half price go unbought. Also, I have a whole back yard soon to design over Winter. It can't be too fussy and yet, you know me.
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

Queen K wrote:And acidify the soil. Ours gave a good number of blue berries despite the clay soil but it's acid clay soil.

I am all about clipping out old raspberry canes today. Gotta fill that bin. I am taking out the Goji berry too. It did not "give" like I had hoped. Regretting letting those Gold Raspberries at half price go unbought. Also, I have a whole back yard soon to design over Winter. It can't be too fussy and yet, you know me.

What do you use to acidify your soil?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

typhoon44 wrote:
Queen K wrote:And acidify the soil. Ours gave a good number of blue berries despite the clay soil but it's acid clay soil.

Peat moss.
To acidify soil, start by scooping up some of the soil in your hands to see if it's loose or compacted. If it's loose, mix some organic material into the soil to acidify it, like compost, manure, or sphagnum peat moss. If the soil is compacted, mix elemental sulfur or iron sulfate into it to make it more acidic.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

typhoon44 wrote:

I've been told peat moss as well, and also azalea/rhododendron fertilizer - they like acid too
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

typhoon44 wrote:

We've used peat moss but also coffee grounds and various commercial acidifiers. It's a work in progress.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”