Depression and other mental illness

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Depression and other mental illness

Post by stuphoto »

I am starting this thread after reading about Candace Deleeuw, formerly from Penticton being found dead close to Drumheller.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... in-Alberta

To me it sounds like she was suffering from mental illness the way that she lost connection with many people who knew her locally and then just left.
I would not be surprised if she had just decided to end it all.

I found out about 6 months ago ( the hard way ) that we all have some mental health issues from time to time. Whether it be depression from a break up, anxiety, or something more serious.
I also found out that we may not recognize when we have a problem, and those who we see regularly won't likely see the changes.
They may actually be making things worse.

It was a friend who I don't see very often that noticed I had changed, convincing me that I needed help.
She was absolutely right.

So with that in mind, if you see someone you know not acting like normal.
Please take the time to tell them. ( even if you don't consider them as a friend )
If they ask you for help please at least recommended that they see their doctor on it.
You may be saving their life.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Re: Depression and other mental illness

Post by RustyCrayon »

So true.

Some family and friends have commented on how happy I always am. Little do they know I have struggled with anxiety and depression my entire life. You just never know what people are dealing with.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Every Thursday from 1:30 to 3pm at IH on corner of Ellis & Doyle, is CBT group session for depression & anxiety.
It on main floor conference room
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

oldtrucker wrote:I've seen a mental health record used against people far worse than a criminal record.
KGH psyche dept. will keep those records forever,... think about how much damage that can do before going to seek help.
Sometimes it's best to suffer in silence and say nothing to anyone.

You were right not that long ago and we as a society are still slow to accept the change. However thankfully that is changing.
I myself thought the same thing 7 months ago.
Most mental illness is treatable with time off, possibly some counseling, or antidepressants.

If an employer refuses to hire you because of issues in your past I can find you several human rights lawyers within minutes who would love to take your case.

Personally I would rather be driving a bus full of your children with a clear head, than possibly having thoughts of ending my suffering pop in.
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

oldtrucker wrote:I've seen a mental health record used against people far worse than a criminal record.
KGH psyche dept. will keep those records forever,... think about how much damage that can do before going to seek help.
Sometimes it's best to suffer in silence and say nothing to anyone.

Everybody is healthy till they go see a doctor. 100 percent of sick people die in the care of doctors. Do doctors kill people ? Yikes
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

1791 wrote:Everybody is healthy till they go see a doctor. 100 percent of sick people die in the care of doctors. Do doctors kill people ? Yikes

I never thought of it that way......good analogy! [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
Bring back the LIKE button.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ 100% of humans will die in their lifespan, some sooner than others.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

And some people will accomplish more by their 12th birthday than some people who will live into their 90's
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

stuphoto wrote:And some people will accomplish more by their 12th birthday than some people who will live into their 90's

Many will learn more before they are 12, than the next 60.
Bring back the LIKE button.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

That is absolutely true Old Trucker, like everything else some doctors over prescribe them.
Oddly enough they still don't know why they work.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/antidepressants/

My doctor prescribed them, but left and wanted me to have access to them. However she left me make the decision whether I took them ou not.

I was very hesitant on taking them, but even with counseling I went through an unbearable period where I had to do something.
For me they worked. I still have the emotional ups and downs, and am not a zombie.
I have had to take additional vitamins to maintain my energy level.

I am the first person who will say to only use them if absolutely necessary.
I know I will have a nasty time with withdrawals when I stop taking them.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

It takes a lot of awareness and education to understand how mental health can be affected by depression or anxiety. Due to a death in my immediate family due to suicide, I've taken it upon myself to learn as much as possible about it. I must say until then I was completely oblivious and ignorant about these problems. I thought depression is something you can snap out of, or just being moody - it's not. Or that anxiety is caused by too much coffee - it's not. Some people just think differently, and for them, the world looks completely different. Where you see a small speedbump they see a failure. Where you see no problems, they might see a brick wall. It takes a lot of work on their behalf and with a trained professional to make progress - and most people don't even recognize they need help. They shame themselves for being crazy and completely shut out their peers.

It's also becoming somewhat of an epidemic among youth. Social media doesn't help, but the most problem lies I think within the atomization of our society. People simply don't have support networks and don't feel comfortable opening up.
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

No one should have to open up. When your in trouble your alone. Always been that way. People need to stop looking for the quick fix.

If you are depressed there is lots to do. Work out. Get lots of sun. Get sleep. Do things you enjoy. Force yourself to be part of the world. Spend time with happy people. Be positive. If none of this works. Try a change of career or change the town you call home. The point is. Take it upon yourself to make life better. Only you can make yourself happy or unhappy
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Thank you for your posts here everyone.
I do respect you all, even if I don't necessarily agree with everything you say.
I do believe it's a tough subject, and I don't think anyone has all the answers.

I started this thread for everyone to have a voice, and if someone thinks they need some help I hope you feel free to ask for it here.
We may not be able to do much but sometimes just venting may help.

I could not imagine suffering in silence. Having no where to go or anyone to even talk to.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

1791 wrote:No one should have to open up. When your in trouble your alone. Always been that way. People need to stop looking for the quick fix.

If you are depressed there is lots to do. Work out. Get lots of sun. Get sleep. Do things you enjoy. Force yourself to be part of the world. Spend time with happy people. Be positive. If none of this works. Try a change of career or change the town you call home. The point is. Take it upon yourself to make life better. Only you can make yourself happy or unhappy

Depression is a serious mental illness, something that people who suffer know all too well. While some may just think of depression as being sad, it is and can be a lot more than just sadness.

Lack of motivation/energy, psychomotor impairment, body aches/pains, insomnia/hypersomnia, weight loss or gain, concentration issues, loss of interest in activities are all symptoms of depression. Which can make it very difficult to force yourself to work out, "be positive", make huge and major life changes (like change your career or town).

Despite this post (which should be used as a great example of mental illness stigmatism btw), people do truly care and want to help. Reach out to a love one, a close friend, professional help. Don't listen to negative people on the internet who re-enforce past MH stigma's that you have to suffer alone.

As this poster stated, "it's always been this way", but times are a changin. Mental health is becoming more widely known, and people are fighting to reduce and change the stigma's attached. More services are becoming available. Obviously the work is not finished, but I believe we have come along way!
hail Satan y'all

Return to “Health”