Costco moving to Leckie Road

A potpourri of off-topics.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Re: Costco moving to Leckie Road

Post by Symbonite »

not life changing buuuuut probably altering the traffic around that area for the worse....now the someone bypass of kelowna is now going to be as slow as staying on Hwy 97 ....that of course they plan to do overpasses and not intersection with lights
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
SC001

Post by SC001 »

I don't know who owns this land, but I think it's a better option for Costco. There is a huge amount of land between Cooper and Spall on Springfield right beside the church that is on the corner. Is it in the ALR? I don't know, but I don't think so. It looks like more land than this other proposed site.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

SC001 wrote:I don't know who owns this land, but I think it's a better option for Costco. There is a huge amount of land between Cooper and Spall on Springfield right beside the church that is on the corner. Is it in the ALR? I don't know, but I don't think so. It looks like more land than this other proposed site.

It is currently still in alr, since owned by the Bennett family.... a quick phone call would probably have it out of alr fairly easy.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
A10ThunderboltII
Fledgling

Post by A10ThunderboltII »

SC001 wrote:I don't know who owns this land, but I think it's a better option for Costco. There is a huge amount of land between Cooper and Spall on Springfield right beside the church that is on the corner. Is it in the ALR? I don't know, but I don't think so. It looks like more land than this other proposed site.

Yes, last I read. It is ALR land
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

A10ThunderboltII wrote:
Urban Cowboy wrote: First off membership isn't a hundred bucks for a regular one, so that's an exaggeration given it's about $65, and secondly for those like me who have to regularly obtain multiple prescriptions, my membership fee pays for itself within two months.
The rest of the above is just sour grapes.

You're exactly right there about the membership fee. I have to get 5 scrips QUARTERLY so thats 20 per year and the scrip fee (each) at Costco is $ 4.99 while at LondonDrugs, Superstore and no doubt others, its $ 10.00 so the $65 membership fee (and all the $ 1.50 hot dogs I can use all year) are covered by the SCRIP savings alone :smt045

OK, lots to address here.

A regular membership is $60 + 5% GST = $63
Executive member ship is $120 + 5% = $126

If you are saying the $63 regular fee is made up with your savings within two months. I can save you another $63. You don't need a membership to purchase prescription drugs.

The dispensing fee at Costco is $4.49, not $4.99

For anyone who has the Executive Membership, there is no 2% cash back on prescriptions (it's the law).

If you live a distance from Costco, or just don't want to bother going into the store, you can order on-line. You can use a credit card (any kind) and the delivery is usually 2 or 3 days. I have my doctor fax the prescription to Costco, if I don't need them right away they indicate "Hold". I then go on-line and order them and a couple of days later Canada Post delivers them.

Generally meds are about 15% less and most drug stores in my area charge $10.60 verses the $4.49 at Costco.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I find food is cheaper at the Real Canadian Super Store, but shopping once per year at Costco saves me money. I bought a Kayak and made my money back. I was on my way back to Costco to by a paddleboard when I noticed Amazon had a better one for 20% off and the thus a few dollars cheaper, so didn't make it back to Costco.

I need to develop a few diseases so I can save lots on drugs. Maybe I'll start shooting up heroin with dirty needles to get me there. I love saving money by getting things at a reduced price.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

did costco just move because of the two new wet facilities down the road , makes sense
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Glacier wrote:food is cheaper at the Real Canadian Super Store

Ba hahaha! Keep telling yourself that. maybe one or two items. :biggrin:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Glacier wrote:I find food is cheaper at the Real Canadian Super Store, .

You can always find items cheaper on sale elsewhere but for overall best pricing it's difficult to beat Costco.

There are some things I won't buy there because it will go bad before I would use it all. Like mayonnaise, I just can't finish a large container like they sell before it goes bad. Pretty much anything I can repackage smaller and freeze or store for a long time is good.

It is well worth having a vacuum sealer for repackaging food so it stays fresher for longer.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Steve-O wrote:Ba hahaha! Keep telling yourself that. maybe one or two items. :biggrin:

Fruit, veggies, dairy, bread, coffee... you know, the stuff I actually eat. On the other hand, processed packaged food is cheaper at Costco.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
A10ThunderboltII
Fledgling

Post by A10ThunderboltII »

Glacier wrote:
Steve-O wrote:Ba hahaha! Keep telling yourself that. maybe one or two items. :biggrin:

Fruit, veggies, dairy, bread, coffee... you know, the stuff I actually eat. On the other hand, processed packaged food is cheaper at Costco.

Are you saying that coffee is cheaper at Superstore than at Costco?
Costco is currently selling 3# 1.36kg whole bean coffee for $12.50 or $4.17 lb.
How much cheaper is coffee at the Superstore?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

my5cents wrote:OK, lots to address here.

A regular membership is $60 + 5% GST = $63
Executive member ship is $120 + 5% = $126

If you are saying the $63 regular fee is made up with your savings within two months. I can save you another $63. You don't need a membership to purchase prescription drugs.

The dispensing fee at Costco is $4.49, not $4.99

For anyone who has the Executive Membership, there is no 2% cash back on prescriptions (it's the law).

If you live a distance from Costco, or just don't want to bother going into the store, you can order on-line. You can use a credit card (any kind) and the delivery is usually 2 or 3 days. I have my doctor fax the prescription to Costco, if I don't need them right away they indicate "Hold". I then go on-line and order them and a couple of days later Canada Post delivers them.

Generally meds are about 15% less and most drug stores in my area charge $10.60 verses the $4.49 at Costco.

I've been well aware of not requiring a membership to obtain prescriptions, but since I'm there anyway I may as well purchase some of the items I like from there.

I was simply indicating that two months of my prescription savings, more than cover the cost of a regular membership, and there are many other items where I can save money by not buying them elsewhere.

I simply posted that originally to counter a remark another made about refusing to pay to shop there. I don't view it as paying to shop there considering how much the place saves me in a year.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Glacier wrote:I find food is cheaper at the Real Canadian Super Store, but shopping once per year at Costco saves me money. I bought a Kayak and made my money back. I was on my way back to Costco to by a paddleboard when I noticed Amazon had a better one for 20% off and the thus a few dollars cheaper, so didn't make it back to Costco.

I need to develop a few diseases so I can save lots on drugs. Maybe I'll start shooting up heroin with dirty needles to get me there. I love saving money by getting things at a reduced price.

I don't know about Kelowna, but the Real Canadian Super Store in Penticton..... The sale prices are great !,,,, you travel there, park, and go around the store. You can always spot the locations where the sale items were. A BIG EMPTY SHELF.

It's happened constantly (trust me), year in year out. I don't even bother going there. Their sales flyer is a flyer of what is out of stock in Penticton.

They generally don't give rain checks. If they did, that's about all they'd be doing.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Steve-O wrote:Ba hahaha! Keep telling yourself that. maybe one or two items.

Tell ya what! That was a little rude. I worked at Costco in the 90's into the 2000's. One role I filled was to shop the competition. They typically sold a handful of items at the same or slightly lower prices than Costco. Vast majority of items once the math was done to compare apples to apples (multiply their single ketchup by 2 to match how Costco sells for example) and it's no contest. Still have friends back home that still work there and from a conversation last summer, nothing has changed. Yes. you may find something for a better price but not as a rule. Here's a pro tip: bottom left of the sign has a price breakdown - cost per 100grams or something. Note that price and do the math on your items at your favorite grocer and if you are being honest, your grocer is charging more. But if they carry your favorite coffee and superstore and it makes you happy, go for it.

Back to topic. Looking forward to a new Costco location with more parking and more square footage.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Steve-O wrote:Tell ya what! That was a little rude. I worked at Costco in the 90's into the 2000's. One role I filled was to shop the competition. They typically sold a handful of items at the same or slightly lower prices than Costco. Vast majority of items once the math was done to compare apples to apples (multiply their single ketchup by 2 to match how Costco sells for example) and it's no contest. Still have friends back home that still work there and from a conversation last summer, nothing has changed. Yes. you may find something for a better price but not as a rule. Here's a pro tip: bottom left of the sign has a price breakdown - cost per 100grams or something. Note that price and do the math on your items at your favorite grocer and if you are being honest, your grocer is charging more. But if they carry your favorite coffee and superstore and it makes you happy, go for it.

Back to topic. Looking forward to a new Costco location with more parking and more square footage.

In reading the Costco West blog (a private info site that provides information on those items that are not on the weekly sales sheet, but are unadvertised sale items). Obvious that the larger Costco warehouses sell products (not a lot but some) that our small Costco doesn't have room for.

Yes, Costco doesn't always have the lowest price, but if you shop at one store without checking prices, Costco is the one.

There's just my wife and I, we portion things out, freeze, share.

Now if they would stop blade tenderising I'd purchase their roasts again. I don't like well done beef.

Return to “Grab Bag”